The Psion (has nothing to do with the XPH version)

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

IGTN wrote:
ubernoob wrote:
ckafrica wrote: Reasoning?
Mostly that since we're not just advancing casting we'd have to give 'new and level appropriate abilities' on the assumption you hop in after psion 10. Psion 10/ X 5/ Y 1 ends up picking up a level 11 ability at level 16.
They're getting new abilities in their fields for progressing (now), which keeps them level-appropriate.
We haven't agreed to that yet. My thought is that the PrCs would stack for fields you already have, but give no additional fields. In any case, the class features *still* need to be level appropriate. 10 level PrCs still win out.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Field of Reflection
You are your own enemy.
Basic:
Advanced:
Expert:
1: Backbiter.
3:
5:
7:
9:
11:
13: Spell Turning.
15:
17:
19:

The theme here is spells, powers, and abilities that turn their opponent's strength against them via reflecting attacks, changing enemy loyalties to fight on your side thereby strengthening you and weakening them, and generally making your opponent defeat themselves.

Would probably need to make up a lot of powers to that effect as there aren't many prewritten. Like a 17 or 19 ability that makes you turn one hostile effect around so it hits the enemy instead as an Immediate action. I dunno. Ideas?
Last edited by Roy on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Absorbtion seems like an obvious choice for this in my view. You would also wanna consider vampiric touch in there somewhere. Reciprocal gyre might be worth considering too.

Edit: Is there any way you can make the quote mock the 4E 'you are your own enemy' thing? I like funny references in my writing.
Last edited by koz on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Inimical Insinuation
Time: Standard action
Range: Medium
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 min./level
Save: Will negates
SR: Yes

The target of this ability is cursed with a mental distortion that causes it to subconsciously treat itself as its own enemy. If it is mentally linked to others, they subconsciously treat the subject as an enemy as well.

The subject may no longer benefit from indirectly targeted effects that aid allies. For example, if the subject cast a Bless or Haste spell, it would gain no benefit from the spell. The subject still benefits from spells it casts directly on itself.

Furthermore, if the subject uses a spell that targets multiple enemies (Such as Bane or Magic Missile), it is forced to target itself at least once.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

What level is this ability granted at, Av?

Edit: Did you mean 'inimical?'
Last edited by koz on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Mister_Sinister wrote:Absorbtion seems like an obvious choice for this in my view. You would also wanna consider vampiric touch in there somewhere. Reciprocal gyre might be worth considering too.

Edit: Is there any way you can make the quote mock the 4E 'you are your own enemy' thing? I like funny references in my writing.
Let's see. Vampiric Touch is level 3, the Gyre is level 5... what level is Absorption, and where is it found?

Also, great idea. Snark is a good spice for any meal. Fixed.
Last edited by Roy on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I believe it's in Spell Compendium OR PHB2. I'm not exactly sure which, though. Death urge, which I have written up, could also work in here.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Mister_Sinister wrote:What level is this ability granted at, Av?
Whatever seems appropriate. Level 3 feels good to me, as this seems around equivalent to a level 2 spell.

EDIT: This ability was inspired by the 4e enemy definition reference, in case that wasn't already obvious.
Mister_Sinister wrote:Edit: Did you mean 'inimical?'
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inimical
... Yes. I didn't double-check my spelling thoroughly enough.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Field of Reflection
You are your own enemy.
Basic:
Advanced:
Expert:
1: Backbiter.
3: Inimicle Insinuation.
5: Vampiric Touch.
7:
9: Reciprocal Gyre.
11:
13: Spell Turning.
15:
17: Absorption.
19: Schrodinger's Guard.

Schrodinger's Guard
Time: Standard action.
Range: Personal.
Target: You.
Duration: 1 round/level.
Save: Will negates (harmless).
SR: Yes.

The target of this power is granted the perfect defense - adaptation to any circumstance. You are automatically aware of any actively hostile act a creature takes against you an instant before it happens. This includes such things as animated objects, but does not include traps, or other such hazards that are not actively hostile. As an Immediate action, you may change the target of that attack to the user. For example, if a caster attempts to cast Horrid Wilting upon you, you can redirect it so that they are hit by their own spell. If an archer attempts to fire a Manyshot at you, using this ability makes them shoot themselves. If the attack would affect multiple targets, it still affects them instead of you, but affects any other targets as normal. If this is your first time using this ability on a given target within this encounter, they take a -4 to any relevant defensive checks against their own attack.

How about the remaining power slots and the sphere abilities? Dominate Monster would fit, but I think it's being regarded as lower level than it is for some reason in this thread, so I dunno where it would fit into the new paradigm.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Schrodinger's Guard seems more like an application of Murphy's Law than some weird quantum thing... rename to Murphy's Guard perhaps?
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

I agree with Tarkis. It seems like Schrodinger's Guard should do something relating to perception more than acting as a damage reflector.

Maybe it locks each attack into some sort of stasis (where the player records the attack roll, save DC, and damage roll) that allows them to deal with each attack at a later time within the spells duration. Is the cat alive or dead? We don't know until we check!

For example, someone shoots an arrow at you and hits your AC +3 for 3 points of damage. That attack goes into stasis and you can decide whether to pull out your +2 Shield and deflect the arrow, drink a potion for DR 5/-, or just let it hit you. In any case, this will generally delay all incoming attacks from affecting you at times you care about it. After the 5-round battle is over, you can spend the remaining 13 rounds neutering all the face-stabbing you would have received.

You might want to put a limit of how many attacks can be delayed in this way, however. Overall, the idea could use more work as well.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

First off, Roy, it's INIMICAL. Sorry, grammar Nazi. :tongue:

Now, for some suggestions in the slots:

7: Confusion could work here. Alternatively, phantasmal killer fits your theme. Death urge (from the nightmare seeker thread might also work.
11: Why am I thinking mind switch?
15: This one is damn tricky. Irresistible dance, perhaps?

Also, do you intend this Field to be useable by the nightmare seeker as well?
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

I recently dealt with a group of idiots who prefer to the prepared caster as 'Schrodinger's Wizard' because he always has the right tool for the job, and always wins, no matter what. So basically, I chose that name intentionally to make fun of the offenders at GitP.

I just copied the word from what he said.

VitM did a better Schrodinger's, but missed the context joke. Isn't Murphy's the guy about things going wrong? Pretty much the opposite of this.

Anyways, how about them sphere abilities?

As for Nightmare Seeker... Isn't turning your opponent on themselves what being the stuff of nightmares is all about? Sure, why not? Which means PK for level 7, because you kill them with their own worst fear.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Sorry about that. Here I was being all serious and stuff. :P
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Yeah, Murphy's law is the "What can go wrong, will" one, which seemed an apt thing to apply to the attacks themselves by making it an offensivish guard action. It's really pretty similar to Backbiter in that respect. Part of that came from my remembering a Real Life Comics arc about the main characters actually going after the Murphy, and how they pretty much just hurt themselves because they couldn't get anything to work right against him.

If it doesn't fit though, it doesn't fit. /shrug.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

For Field of Reflection level 15, what about a contingent effect that lets you swap locations with an enemy right as they target you with a save-or-die or powerful attack? They are forced to defend against their own spell or death attack arrow.
Maybe an immediate action with a 1d4 round recharge time.

Also, I don't have spells like Backbiter and Reciprocal Gyre, so it would be nice to have some alternate versions for the book-deficient among us.

EDIT: I also like Death Urge for 7
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Here's another idea. Make another field, relating to Fate or something. Give it the Schrodinger's Guard ability, as written by VitM. Why would you do that, you ask and not even change the name? Why, to make fun of 4.0, and its One Eyed Monsters of course!
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

An excellent idea, Roy. I'll get to it as soon as I'm done with my New Zealand politics class, as well as completing your Field abilities.

Edit: Added your (as-yet-unfinished) Field. What do you think of my suggestions for 11 and 15? Furthermore, the abilities need to be done. Some form of damage reflection would be quite good here, but I'm not sure where it should go.
Last edited by koz on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Didn't notice the edit. Mind switch and the dance sound about right I suppose, though there should be a Dominate in there.

I'm not sure about abilities either. Damage reflection would fit, but I have no idea as to what would be appropriate parameters. There should probably be a 'switch unwilling creatures' ability as well. Like Baleful Transposition. Possibly at a lower action cost. I dunno. The idea being, enemy goes to swing at PC x, and suddenly said enemy is attacking his buddy instead.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Roy wrote:Didn't notice the edit. Mind switch and the dance sound about right I suppose, though there should be a Dominate in there.

I'm not sure about abilities either. Damage reflection would fit, but I have no idea as to what would be appropriate parameters. There should probably be a 'switch unwilling creatures' ability as well. Like Baleful Transposition. Possibly at a lower action cost. I dunno. The idea being, enemy goes to swing at PC x, and suddenly said enemy is attacking his buddy instead.
Well, a dominate at 11 would have to be dominate person. Is that acceptable? As for dance, I really can't think of much else, really.

Switching unwilling creatures sounds like an advanced ability at the very least. Damage reflection parameters would be something like forced share pain, except constantly active and less effective - maybe only redirecting 1 point of damage per character level? For the expert ability, something like a weedy spell turning effect? Something like this, perhaps:

Basic: Whenever you are dealt physical damage (bludgeoning, piercing or slashing), prevent 1 point of it per character level. The source of this damage takes this damage instead of you.
Advanced: As an immediate action, you may switch the positions of two targets, one of which must be an opponent. The ability has a range of Close, and can affect targets up to 30ft apart. This is considered a [Teleportation] effect.
Expert: As an immediate action, you may deflect a spell, as per spell turning, except that the level of the spell may not exceed a quarter of your character level.

How does that seem? It wasn't well thought-out or anything, it's like 8.30 am and I'm at uni, trying to do my presentation prep, but this is something similar to what I would like to see in this.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

I seem to remember a Charm Monster being on one of the fields as a level one ability... which implies that whatever rules being used here do not regard the ability to affect non humanoids as being several levels higher.

Also...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/power ... sionic.htm

...Suggests that affecting other sorts of creatures would not be unbalanced at level 11.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Roy wrote:I seem to remember a Charm Monster being on one of the fields as a level one ability... which implies that whatever rules being used here do not regard the ability to affect non humanoids as being several levels higher.

Also...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/power ... sionic.htm

...Suggests that affecting other sorts of creatures would not be unbalanced at level 11.
That'd be my influence. Just like greater dispel magic is not a high level ability (needs CL), dominate monster as opposed to person is not a high level ability (because it needs DC(.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Then it'd follow that Dominate Monster at level 11 is not a big deal at all.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

This is why sleep-deprived Sinister with deadlines is not good for design decisions. :tongue:

Yeah, dominate monster all the way.
Roy
Prince

Re: The Psion (has nothing to do with the XPH version)

Post by Roy »

The field needs updating in the OP.

Also, about that Fate field...

Field of Destiny
It is inevitable you will lose.
Basic: Once per day as an Immediate action, you may allow a willing creature within 30 feet to reroll an attack, save, ability check, or skill check they have just made. You must have line of sight and line of effect to the creature to use this Supernatural ability.
Advanced:
Expert:
1: Omen of Peril.
3: Augury.
5: Delay Death.
7: Bestow Curse.
9: Stalwart Pact.
11: Warp Destiny.
13: Greater Bestow Curse.
15: Moment of Prescience.
17: Choose Destiny.
19: Schrodinger's Guard. (as per VitM's writing, and not mine)

You may have noticed I just stole a bunch of shit from the Races of Destiny Destiny domain. This is intentional, and is what made this so easy. As for the other two abilities...

I'm thinking one should be a once a round free action that allows you to roll a die in response to any die roll, and force the creature to take whichever roll you desire. So if used on an enemy, you make them take the low die and vice versa. Free action to not interfere with the other, and likely better Immediate action stuff. Once a round because always on would be a bit much.

Then the other... enemy cannot use rerolls against your abilities? Not sure which would be better than which though.