Ring of Shadowblending

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Ring of Shadowblending

Post by virgil »

Singular item, designed solely to allow my cohort to hide in a corner without getting noticed...

Ring of the Shadowblending
Benefit: While active, grants the wearer +20 to Hide and Move Silently, along with Hide in Plain Sight. Most importantly, moving out of the square deactivates the item, requiring another standard action to reactivate.
Activation/Duration: Standard action, Concentration duration to maintain
Price: 3500gp

How's the wording and design? Any room for abuse?
Last edited by virgil on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

You do know that a +20 Stealth item'd cost 80,000 GP (if it's considered 2 skills)? Well, this one's pretty worse, but not enough to cost more than 20 times less (and that if you think the constant item'd be balanced, which I already wouldn't feel so sure on). Also, it needs a CL, which I guess'd be ... pretty high.
Last edited by Bigode on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

The kicker is that the creature is not allowed to move, lest the HiPS/MS be deactived, no?
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Or break Concentration for that matter. So I think it's priced okay.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I was going for a bonus to hide and move silently, rather than something like invisibility & personal range silence; thus allowing a chance of being noticed, as opposed to the binary condition of whether or not they have see invisible. That, and disguise self gives a similar modification (disguise instead of stealth), but I'm very much limiting mobility.
Last edited by virgil on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Why not just make it:

Ring of Shadowblending:
As a Full Round Action, you gain a +20 to Move Silently and Hide checks, in addition to having the Hide In Plain Sight ability. You may attempt a Hide and Move Silently check during this round.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Thought you couldn't give feats through items...

How did HIPS price out?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Uh.... you did give a bonus that's pretty close to Invisibility.

Not as much as Invisibility; but if they're taking 10, and can achieve +10 more via ranks and stat modifiers they "count" as being invisible (+40 to hide checks).

Also, See Invisible isn't the only way to blow through invisibility. In 3.5 there is no more of a binary approach to invisibility, the spell simply gives and epic boost to your hiding ability (+40 if you stand still, +20 if you move; low-ish level (lvl 5+) rangers, monks, ninjas and the like in regular 3.5 can detect a moving invisible target if they get a middling roll).

It's a non-combat item, and it's not a snipers item. Unless the sniper's a bard and has that one spell where they can maintain concentration on a spell for free. At that point, this is a pretty big combo.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

From what I recall, +20 is standard for Invis, as long as you're actually moving around (doubled if you're trying to hide); and I thought that bonus was a bit too much. Also, it (invisibility) remains binary in that you retain total concealment even if someone makes the Spot check.

I thought about a ring of invisibility, realized it's price is about 40% of the formula, then 'invented' a 1st level spell with concentration duration and gave invisibility. Then I compared the formula of the ring to that, reduced in price by 50% for the 'no movement' option.

However, I didn't like the absolute nature of invisibility, so I changed it into +20 Hide with HiPS for a similar effect and added Move Silently for completeness.
Last edited by virgil on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!