Shadowrun Horror

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
I got a nasty-gram from Fantasy Flights saying copyrighted images were in use in the initial post. I wrote them back asking what specific images they wanted taken down, and until they reply this thread is locked.
[/TGFBS]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]

I received the following from Fantasy Flight Games yesterday:
Sir/Madam:

The following link on your forum contains copyrighted material that is the property of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. d/b/a Fantasy Flight Games:

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=49 ... sc&start=0

The art templates are taken directly from our board game Arkham Horror. We hereby request immediate removal of the posts with such imagery.

Going down in order:

PAGE 1
-----------

Board: OK

PInk "Star" card: Violation (back is unchanged from ours, front uses our layout) Yellow "Hat" card: Violation (same) Green "Pistol" card: Violation (same) Yellow "Scroll" card: Violation (same) Orange "Person" card: Violation (same) Tan "Blurry stars" card: Violation (same, but image in center of layout has been changed. Still our layout, though)

First "Encounter" card: Violation on front (layout), back is okay.
"Encounter" cards: Violation (images and text have been changed but layout art ["rusty" iron frames] is ours).

"Major Players" cards
Runner card: Violation (our layout design) Threat card: Violation (same) "Karma" card: Violation (front is our layout) "Johnson" card: Violation (our layout design)

"Enemies" tokens: Violation (our layout and icons)

Orange "Ally" card: Violation (our layout)

PAGE 2
-----------

Problem Tokens: Violation (our icon)

"Threat" card: Violation (our layout)

PAGE 3
-----------

"Threat" card: Violation (our layout)
"Johnson" card: Violation (same)

"Corporate Security" token: Violation (our icon) "Triad" token: Violation (same) "Yakuza" token: Violation (same) "System Failure" token: Violation (same) "The Mafia" token: Violation (same) "The Vory" token: Violation (same)

In addition, obviously the posts that quote or reference earlier posts with the copyrighted imagery are also problems.

In short, we're not trying to come off like Big Corporate Overlords, but we must protect our copyrights. The original poster is more than welcome to make his rethemed "Arkham Horror" game, but we cannot allow him to use any of our art or design.
My apologies, Frank, but your images had to be removed for the above reasons. Please do not put them back up. It will just create more work for me.

[/TGFBS]
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

frank, crop the pictures to the important part, that will allow you to use them under fair use laws, the same way news programs can show photos from magazine articles and such.

edit: hm. or... well, I'm sure FFG would try to get them taken down, which would require FBMF to send them an email basically explaining what I just said...

so I guess it's up to FBMF, but I'm positive we'd be in the right.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Huh, and here we were all worried that the Shadowrun folks would get their undies in a bunch and yell at Frank. Guess someone at Fantasy Flight is paying attention, too. Almost makes me want to find out what the laws for nonprofit use of things are.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Eh, it's clearly a parody. Even so, it's probably best not to antagonize FFG (which did after all make such kickass games as Arkham Horror). Supposedly some portion of the company gave Frank permission to use their templates (which is why he had them), so everything should be squared away when things get communicated properly within the company.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The really weird part is that Fantasy Flight is also hosting the game's pictures and they haven't kicked up a fuss about the content there.

It's actually built using a custom Arkham Horror content editor that they host on their custom content board. And all the symbols an layouts are from that.

So they seriously give away those pictures for the purposes of people making custom content. Then a different branch of the company flips out when you do.

-Username17
MartinHarper
Knight-Baron

Post by MartinHarper »

Just downloaded it and started looking at it. My eyes couldn't parse the picture for BTL - what is it meant to be? Also Objectionable Content is all from the same magazine - extra variation might be neat - if available.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

You can't actually copyright layouts.

Anyhow... It is a conundrum. Frank only showed samples, smaller than 10% of the whole, which is usually fair use of the 'example or news' variety. Legally they'd have no case if this went to court as they'd have no losses cash or value to show.

Thank you for publishing the letter. At least they can hurt their own value, instead of us.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Hey, can someone seed the patch with the bonus Johnsons and such? I've been stuck at about 61% for roughly ever.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

I can probably seed it when I get home.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Thanks, I somehow got up to 90% and now we're at another impasse.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Is this game still available? Does it have a manual somewhere that explains it for those who don't own Arkham?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

1. Refresh all cards, pass the first player.

2. Karma Phase: Draw Karma Card.

2A: If it is an environment, discard the old environment and the new environment text takes effect. If it is a Rumor and there is already a Rumor in play, discard the new card and redraw.
2B: Open the problem. Place an Enemy if there are 2-4 players and 2 enemies if there are 5-8. If there is already a problem at that location, resolve a Vendetta. Place a number of enemies on the board equal to the number of players plus half the Terror level (rounded up). If there is an expose, place no problem. But if the name of the location is in fiery orange, remove the Expose (coverup).
2C: Move enemies, if a Riot moves, place an enemy on it. If
2D: Place Tension Token, if a Riot comes into play, place it in the streets outside the last Tension marker placed and add an Enemy on it. If the tension spots the tension token would be placed are already full, place an enemy at that location and discard the tension token.
2E: Resolve Headlines and Rumors.

3: Upkeep Phase: Players adjust sliders and may now trade cards freely.

4. Movement: Players may move up to their speed. Moving from one Train Station icon to another costs 1 movement point and a dollar. Moving into a Riot takes 2 movement points. Moving along lines otherwise costs 1 movement. If you declare that you wish to encounter an enemy at your location or you attempt to move out of your location and there are enemies at your location, you encounter those enemies at this time.

5. Encounters:
5A You encounter any enemies at your location that you have yet to encounter this turn. If enemies appear at your location, you encounter them before continuing with this phase.
5B Draw encounter card, have encounter. If you are in a problem location, draw encounter cards until you get one of the appropriate color.
5C If there is a problem solving step, you may attempt to solve the problem. If you do, take the problem token as a trophy and return all enemies with the same symbol from Los Angeles and the Outskirts to the cup. You may pay 5 clues to Expose a solved problem, place an expose on that location, preventing Enemies or Problems from being placed at that location any more.
5D You may attempt to advance any Shadowruns you have. Remove a Tension token from the board for this location, if there are any.
5E You may use any board elements that are used "after encounters" such as shopping at Zen Alley.

6. The Turn Ends. No more trading.

Encountering Enemies:

1. You Evade the enemy. A base Evade test is your Sneak, modified by the Enemy's Awareness (the number on the front of the token). You may choose to fail this test.
1A If you succeed in Evading the enemy, you may choose to not have combat with it. If you enter combat with an Enemy, your movement is over.
1B If the enemy has Ambush, it does Combat Damage if you fail to Evade the enemy.
1C If the enemy has Elusive, you do not enter combat if you fail to evade (and your movement therefore does not end).
1D If the enemy is Surprising you from an encounter, skip the entire Evade step and just enter combat.

2. Choose your weapons, make a Combat Test (secondary to Fight) modified by the Combat modifier of the enemy (the red number in the lower left on the back) and the weapons you are using.
2A You normally can only use two hands worth of equipment.
2B If the enemy has Melee or Ranged resistance, the combat modifier of your melee or ranged weapons are halved (round up)
2C If you get a number of hits equal to the enemy's toughness, you take the enemy as a trophy. If the enemy is Endless, return it to the cup. If the enemy has Overwhelming, you lose that many Stamina.
2D If you fail to get enough hits, suffer the Combat Damage of the enemy (the number of heart icons under the combat modifier), and if you are still conscious you may attempt to escape.If the enemy has Overwhelming, lose that many Stamina. An escape test is your choice of Speed or Sneak, modified by the enemy's Awareness.
2E If you did not defeat the enemy, and you are not defeated, and you did not escape, repeat step 2.
2F If you did not escape after taking Combat Damage or you defeated the enemy, go to the investigation.

3. Make a Discretion Test (secondary to Caution), modified by the Investigation modifier of the enemy (the blue number on the lower right of the back of the enemy token).
3A If you fail, lose ID equal to the number of blue circles below the investigation number.
3B Whether you succeed or fail, you lose ID if the enemy is Tagged.

Enemies in Los Angeles Limit:
3 + umber of Players + Half the Terror Track (round up)

Max Problems Open:
1-2 Players : 8
3-4 Players : 7
5-6 Players : 6
7-8 Players : 5

Enemy Limit in the Outskirts: 8 minus the number of players.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Orion wrote:Is this game still available? Does it have a manual somewhere that explains it for those who don't own Arkham?
Also, Arkham's manual is available for download on the FFG support page.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Orion wrote:Is this game still available? Does it have a manual somewhere that explains it for those who don't own Arkham?
I usually have it seeding but only during the off peak hours of the day. I added open bittorrent trackers to my side too. Their tracker hopefully still has it since TPB's went offline.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I generally stay away from torrent software. Is there a version of SR broken up into chunks for direct download anywhere yet?
Bateau
NPC

Post by Bateau »

Hello there, could you anyone seed the torrent, please?
Last edited by Bateau on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elderbree TM
NPC

Post by Elderbree TM »

Hi there, can anyone with the torrent re-seed it please, I just found out about this "mod" to AH and would love to test it out.

Thanks,
Elderbree TM
harzerkatze
NPC

Seeds for Shadowrun Horror

Post by harzerkatze »

Hi there,

can someone seed the torrent for Shadowrun Horror? There are none online.

Of is there a direct download link somewhere?

Thanks!
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I'm not exactly sure how this works, but here's a magnet URI: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:Q76XJZNCBURBAR6N43JMKCNRJ6LP3QGP

I think you can just pop that into utorrent and go.

[edit] I'll try to seed, but I'm on a notebook, so it won't always be available. [/edit]
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I still email the torrent files to anyone who asks - but I don't have the images on the computer that I keep with me in Czech Republic.

So if anyone else can just leave the torrent seeding when there are people wanting to leech it, that would be awesome.

-Username17
harzerkatze
NPC

Seeds please?

Post by harzerkatze »

Hi there!

Hmmm, after 48 hours online I still only have 2,1% downloaded. Estimated rest time 3,4 years? That seems a bit excessive...
Are people perhaps seeding a different torrent then the one I download?

Or could someone just upload it on a direct download service?
Duckload (http://www.duckload.com) is free and allows files of up to 15 GB.

There is a direct download at CSoft, but it just stops working after a few minutes.

The game looks awesome. You should really make it available better.
Last edited by harzerkatze on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harzerkatze
NPC

Direct download

Post by harzerkatze »

Hi there,

the torrent still only downloads less than 1% per day, that seems to be a suboptimal solution.

How about this: Someone gets me the data (snailmail as DVD, seed the torrent), and I'll put it up on a direct download site.
Torrent is a thing of the past. Direct download works much better.
And Shadowrun Horror looks way too cool to be so hard to get.
Exrandu
NPC

Post by Exrandu »

Hey, I joined your fantastic looking forum just to ask... can anyone seed the torrent for this? If there are two games my friends and I love, they are Shadowrun and Arkham Horror (or anything Mythos based really). Combining the two is brilliant, and everything I find online about this mod looks great. Frank, if you're still out there, even if I don't get my hands on it thanks for such a great looking mod.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

To be honest, I don't have the original torrent bits for it, because I got a new computer and my new hard drive does not have it. Now what I do have is the source files, so I could remake a torrent that included some of the last minute stuff (like the rules), and put that online anew.

Alternately, I could actually go through it and clean some of the typos up and do a proper second edition. That would take a bit longer though. Probably the biggest thing that would change is the final battle system. I've never really liked the final battle mechanics of Arkham Horror, and honestly I find them more than a little bit wonky in Los Angelos Horror. I'd probably replace them with a "final countdown" thing, where it introduced a new Loss condition when the Doom Track filled up.

For example, the Final Countdown of New Revolution might be that whenever a Tension marker was laid down, that location was also closed. Place an extra Tension marker every turn. When all three Riots are in play you lose.

-Username17