The Blade of Radiance (base class)

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

koz
Duke

The Blade of Radiance (base class)

Post by koz »

OK, PR, Jinerviet and Bigode - you all made comments about my nerdrage, so here's the result of some. Talisman's Bright Blade is responsible for this.
Edit: Lotsa suggestions, thanks everyone!
Edit 2: (Hopefully) the final take on Rainbow Fury, plus a clarification on Bright Blade, which is so obvious I'm quite surprised I missed it.

The Blade of Radiance

Hit die: d10
BAB: Good
Saves: Fort poor, Ref good, Will good
Class skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)
Skill points per level: 4+Int, x4 at 1st level
Starting age: Simple (as sorcerer)
Starting gold: 6d4 x 10 gp (150gp)

1: Bright Blade, Swift Walker
2: Unearthly Grace, Glamorie (up to 1st level),
3: Lucky Dodge
4: Uncanny Dodge
5: Flashing Blade, Glamorie (up to 2nd level)
6: Smite Magic, Evasion
7: Improved Uncanny Dodge, Woodland Stride
8: Glamorie (up to 3rd level)
9: Flickerstep, Improved Bright Blade
10: Improved Evasion, Rainbow Beam
11: Glamorie (up to 4th level)
12: Borne Aloft
13: Rainbow Blast
14: Glamorie (up to 5th level)
15: Improved Flickerstep
16: Rainbow Fury
17: Glamorie (up to 6th level)
18: Greater Bright Blade
19: Greater Flickerstep
20: Transcendence

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A blade of radiance is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armour, but not with shields.
Swift Walker (Ex): The blade of radiance never takes any speed penalties or ASF from light or medium armour, even if his BAB would indicate otherwise.
Bright Blade (Su): From 1st level, the blade of radiance can bless a weapon he wields with the power of the fey, in a ritual taking 1 hour. A weapon so blessed receives an enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls equal to the blade of radiance's character level/3, and gains one of the following properties: flaming, frost, shock. These properties, as well as any others granted by later improvements to this ability, only function in the hands of a blade of radiance.
Glamorie (Su): Starting at 2nd level, a blade of radiance learns some of the magic of the fey, making it an inherent part of his nature. He may learn a spell from the enchantment or illusion school up to 1st level, and use them as at-will supernatural abilities. At every subsequent level, the blade of radiance may learn one more such spell as a supernatural ability.
At 5th level, the blade of radiance may select a spell of up to 2nd level. At 8th level, the blade of radiance may select a spell of up to 3rd level. This continues to improve at the same rate, to a maximum of 6th level spells at 17th level.
Any supernatural abilities so used have DCs equal to 10 + 1/2 the blade of radiance's character level + the blade of radiance's Charisma modifier.
Unearthly Grace (Su): Starting at 2nd level, the blade of radiance gains the protection of the fey. He may use his Charisma modifier on saves instead of the usual ability if it would give a higher result.
Lucky Dodge (Su): At 3rd level, the fey watch each step of the blade of radiance, protecting him from harm. He may use his Charisma modifier instead of his Dexterity modifier to determine his AC. This is lost whenever the Dexterity modifier would be, and works in the same way in all respects, including maximum Dexterity bonuses.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A 4th level blade of radiance is almost uncannily aware of his environment. He is allowed to retain his Dexterity (or Charisma) bonus to AC even if flat-footed or surprised. Note that this does not negate either condition.
Flashing Blade (Su): At 5th level, the blade of radiance becomes a deadly foe with his blade of choice, willing it to cause deeper wounds. He may use his Charisma modifier instead of his Strength modifier (or any other ability score) to determine weapon damage with any weapon enhanced with his Bright Blade ritual.
Smite Magic (Sp): At 6th level, a blade of radiance may use greater dispel magic as an at-will spell like ability, with a caster level equal to his character level. Additionally, he may add his Charisma modifier on the dispel check.
Evasion (Ex): As the rogue ability of the same name.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 7th level, the blade of radiance's awareness of his environment is further improved. He can now no longer be flanked, except by a character who has the Edge against him.
Woodland Stride (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a blade of radiance may move through any sort of nonmagical undergrowth without suffering damage or impairment of any kind.
Flickerstep (Su): As a move action, a blade of radiance of 9th level or higher can melt into coloured light, only to reappear elsewhere. This is identical to a greater teleport spell, except that it has a range of Medium and may only transport the blade of radiance and 50lb of equipment.
Improved Bright Blade (Su): Starting at 9th level, any weapon enhanced by the Bright Blade ritual also gains one of the following properties, depending on the original choice: flaming weapons become flaming burst weapons, frost weapons become icy burst weapons and shock weapons become shocking burst weapons.
Improved Evasion (Ex): As the rogue ability of the same name.
Rainbow Beam (Su): As a move action, a 10th level blade of radiance can fire a beam of multicoloured energy. This has a range of Medium, and requires a ranged touch attack to hit. The blade of radiance may use his Charisma modifier on this attack roll instead of his Dexterity modifier. Those struck by the beam are dealt 1d6 damage per character level of the blade of radiance, and must make a Will save (DC identical to glamorie) or be blinded for 1d4 rounds.
Borne Aloft (Su): Starting at 12th level, the blade of radiance grows a set of brightly-coloured wings, which allow him to fly at a speed equal to his base land speed, with perfect manoeuvreability.
Rainbow Blast (Su): As a standard action, a 13th level blade of radiance can fire a bead of multicoloured energy out to Medium range, which then explodes into a 20ft radius spread sphere. Anything within the sphere is dealt 1d6 damage per character level of the blade of radiance, with a Reflex save (DC same as glamorie) for half damage. Furthermore, all within the sphere must make a Will save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds, and a Fort save or be knocked prone. Flying creatures who are knocked prone instead fall to the ground.
Improved Flickerstep (Su): A blade of radiance of 15th level may treat his Flickerstep ability as a plane shift effect instead. Additionally, he no longer has any restrictions on who may come with him.
Rainbow Fury (Su): Every time a 16th or higher level blade of radiance strikes any target with a weapon attack, brightly coloured beams of energy leap out from the target to strike all other enemies within 10ft. This attack deals the half the damage of the attack that triggered it, and requires no roll to hit.
Greater Bright Blade (Su): Starting at 18th level, a Bright Blade ritual-treated weapon in the hands of a blade of radiance is treated as either a vorpal weapon or a brilliant energy weapon. The blade of radiance can change between these as a swift action.
Greater Flickerstep (Su): At 19th level, a blade of radiance's Flickerstep no longer has any restrictions, simply mimicking greater teleport and plane shift as per the spell descriptions (although they can still be used as move actions).
Transcendence (Su): At 20th level, a blade of radiance becomes one with the energies he has been wielding for so long. His type changes to elemental, and he gains all the traits of his new type. Additionally, he gains fire, cold and electricity resistance 20 and DR 15/-.

This is not perfect, but it's a much more balanced and useful class, IMHO. Comments?

Addenum: For Hicks' complaint about the capstone - I don't give a flying fvck. You shot your own argument in the foot by claiming 20th level characters hardly see play for any length of time, and besides, the need for an OMFGBBQ!!11! capstone is a WotC fallacy which I do not subscribe to.
Last edited by koz on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Rainbow Fury seems a mite strong. That's gunna be a big bag o rats ability.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Yeah, point taken, ubernoob. Removing the touch attack clause.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Re: The Blade of Radiance (base class)

Post by Psychic Robot »

Mister_Sinister wrote: Swift Walker (Ex): The blade of radiance never takes any speed penalties from light or medium armour, even if his BAB would indicate otherwise.
BAB = what?
Unearthly Grace (Su): Starting at 2nd level, the blade of radiance gains the protection of the fey. He may use his Charisma modifier on saves instead of the usual ability if it would give a higher result.
Why not just add Cha bonus like the crapadin? Seems easier, but this is really a minor thing.
Bright Blade (Su): From 2nd level, the blade of radiance can bless a single weapon he wields with the power of the fey, in a ritual taking 1 hour. A weapon so blessed receives an enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls equal to the blade of radiance's character level/3, and gains one of the following properties: flaming, frost, shock.
In terms of mechanics, I like it. In terms of format, not so much. How closely are you looking to format this as a 3e class, and how much do you not care because it's for personal use?
Flashing Blade (Su): At 5th level, the blade of radiance becomes a deadly foe with his blade of choice, willing it to cause deeper wounds. He may use his Charisma modifier instead of his Strength modifier to determine weapon damage with any weapon enhanced with his Bright Blade ritual.
Why not just add Cha bonus?
Smite Magic (Sp): At 6th level, a blade of radiance may use greater dispel magic as an at-will spell like ability, with a caster level equal to his character level. Additionally, he may add his Charisma modifier on the dispel check.
At sixth level? That's a little much, isn't it?
Evasion (Ex): As the rogue ability of the same name.
It seems a little late for this ability. I'd hand it out sooner, especially since you're giving him greater teleport at ninth level.
Rainbow Blast (Su): As a standard action, a 13th level blade of radiance can fire a bead of multicoloured energy out to Medium range, which then explodes into a 20ft radius spread sphere. Anything within the sphere is dealt 1d6 damage per character level of the blade of radiance, with a Reflex save (DC same as glamorie) for half damage. Furthermore, all within the sphere must make a Will save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds, and a Fort save or be knocked prone. Flying creatures who are knocked prone instead fall to the ground.
That's kind of a lot. Perhaps it should do less damage than the other pew-pew power?
Improved Evasion (Ex): As the rogue ability of the same name.
This also seems to come late in the game.
Rainbow Fury (Su): Every time a 17th or higher level blade of radiance strikes any target with a weapon attack, brightly coloured beams of energy leap out from the target to strike up to a number of targets in Close range equal to the blade of radiance's Charisma modifier. There attacks deal the same damage as the attack that triggered them, and require a normal attack roll to hit.
Nooooooooooooo. Too many rolls.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Swift Walker: Under Tome rules, armour slowdown is determined by ACP vs. BAB comparisons. Lern 2 reed.

Unearthly Grace: Adding 2 stats to saves gives you bullshit numbers you have no business having, and increases MAD. Both of these are bad - one stops regular scalarity, the other just bones people relative to other classes.

All formatting concerns general: I have sucktastic wording, it's a fact. If you could tell me how I could phrase it better, that would be very much appreciated.

Flashing Blade: See Unearthly Grace, but more so. This was a serious problem with the older class, as it was ending up with wacky numbers that didn't work.

Smite Magic: Umm... the party wizard has been able to cast dispel magic since 5th level. He could have also taken the Arcane Disciple feat to pick up a +4 on ALL dispel checks ever. I see not the problem at all.

Evasion and Improved Evasion: Yeah, this is true. Where would be more appropriate to your eyes?

Rainbow Blast: Ok, so you want higher-level options to INVALIDATE lower ones? What the fuck are you smoking?

Rainbow Fury: This isn't that hard to resolve - no more rolls than a fireball, actually.

Edit: And an addenum from Bigode - "PR, you're a retard."
Last edited by koz on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Swift Walker: Under Tome rules, armour slowdown is determined by ACP vs. BAB comparisons. Lern 2 reed.
Don't be a dick. There's nothing in the class that talks about it being a Tome class.
Unearthly Grace: Adding 2 stats to saves gives you bullshit numbers you have no business having, and increases MAD. Both of these are bad - one stops regular scalarity, the other just bones people relative to other classes.
Fair enough.
Smite Magic: Umm... the party wizard has been able to cast dispel magic since 5th level. He could have also taken the Arcane Disciple feat to pick up a +4 on ALL dispel checks ever. I see not the problem at all.
My problem is that it's greater dispel magic at-will, with a bonus on top of it. The wizard cannot cast dispel magic at will.
Evasion and Improved Evasion: Yeah, this is true. Where would be more appropriate to your eyes?
I'd say evasion at sixth and improved evasion at twelfth. What I might do is...

Uncanny dodge at fourth, evasion at sixth, improved uncanny dodge at eighth, and improved evasion at tenth. That's just my penchant for having even progression, though.
Rainbow Blast: Ok, so you want higher-level options to INVALIDATE lower ones? What the fuck are you smoking?
The lower-level option scales automatically with level. Since the DC automatically scales with it, it doesn't count as a lower-level option. Especially when the better version is only two levels later.

The problem is: Why would anyone ever want to use the single-target version when the multi-target version is so much better? The only difference is that the multi-target version allows a Reflex save for half damage, but it has the added benefit of knocking a target prone.

If you're going to make something a class feature, it should be useful for the character's entire career. Evasion is always useful, even if you get it at second level.
Rainbow Fury: This isn't that hard to resolve - no more rolls than a fireball, actually.
Five attacks in a full attack. Even if only three hit, that's still a lot of attack rolls. If it only triggered once per round, I'd be okay with it, but just imagine what happens when the class starts getting AoOs, using Robilar's Gambit, and the like.

As far as formatting goes: I'm not sure if the Den supports like those on WotC's forums. If it does, I'd recommend putting in the extra time and effort to format the class in that manner. It looks much nicer and more professional, and it's easier to read. Secondly, you have to mimic the wording as found in the class descriptions. For many of the abilities (evasion, uncanny dodge, and so on), you can just copy-paste from the rogue or barbarian classes. For the others, you'll have to replicate the wording on abilities that allow saves.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

My brief review of the class itself is: it works, but I miss parts of the original, so I'm gonna mix them, without bringing the problems in.

---
Mister_Sinister wrote:
Psychic Robot wrote:
Bright Blade (Su): From 2nd level, the blade of radiance can bless a single weapon he wields with the power of the fey, in a ritual taking 1 hour. A weapon so blessed receives an enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls equal to the blade of radiance's character level/3, and gains one of the following properties: flaming, frost, shock.
In terms of mechanics, I like it. In terms of format, not so much. How closely are you looking to format this as a 3e class, and how much do you not care because it's for personal use?
All formatting concerns general: I have sucktastic wording, it's a fact. If you could tell me how I could phrase it better, that would be very much appreciated.
False, actually. What you found wrong's because you're a retard, and don't have the slightest fvcking idea of how things work around here, likely because you wouldn't even post if you weren't referred to. The only thing to do here'd be to refer more closely to the Book of Gears, which'd presumably make it less comprehensible to your little mind.
Mister_Sinister wrote:And an addenum from Bigode - "PR, you're a retard."
Fact.
Psychic Robot wrote:Don't be a dick.
Psychic Robot wrote:There's nothing in the class that talks about it being a Tome class.
It's made by a non-retard that's been kicking around for a long time. That's enough to guarantee that if it wasn't Tome, it'd be spelled out. BTW, "Tome" means nothing other than "well-made" - anything that's the latter qualifies for the former.
Psychic Robot wrote:My problem is that it's greater dispel magic at-will, with a bonus on top of it. The wizard cannot cast dispel magic at will.
And the bright blade can't cast astral projection. Your point?
Sinister wrote:
Psychic Robot wrote:That's kind of a lot. Perhaps it should do less damage than the other pew-pew power?
Funny, Sinister misread it. Not that it matters by now.
Psychic Robot wrote:
Five attacks in a full attack. Even if only three hit, that's still a lot of attack rolls. If it only triggered once per round, I'd be okay with it, but just imagine what happens when the class starts getting AoOs, using Robilar's Gambit, and the like.
Fireball AoOs, OMGWTFBBQ!1!1!!!
Psychic Robot wrote:As far as formatting goes: I'm not sure if the Den supports like those on WotC's forums. If it does, I'd recommend putting in the extra time and effort to format the class in that manner. It looks much nicer and more professional, and it's easier to read. Secondly, you have to mimic the wording as found in the class descriptions. For many of the abilities (evasion, uncanny dodge, and so on), you can just copy-paste from the rogue or barbarian classes. For the others, you'll have to replicate the wording on abilities that allow saves.
WotC wording and formatting have been suck and fail since before the existence of 4E was even dreamed. I recommend you pull your head from your ass.
Last edited by Bigode on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Tshern
Journeyman

Post by Tshern »

Perhaps you would like to add a limit to the Improved flickerstep ability. I mean, limit it the same way as Plane shift, since now you could just move entire continents to the Negative Energy plane or something.

Apart from that, I do like the class.
Joe, who plans to own Newall's Plumbing Company, asked the presidential hopeful about his plan to increase taxes for some Americans. He felt that Obama's increase plan may redistribute wealth.

"Robin Hood stole from greedy rich people and redistributed it to the peasants, so to speak, so if he's [Obama] calling us peasants, I kind of resent that," -Joe the Plumber, a Republican.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Psychic Robot wrote:
Bigode wrote:Disregard that, I suck cocks.
Your arguments are not cogent. Please resubmit them after extracting the horsedick from your anus.
No offence, PR, you're hardly one to talk. To say nothing of the fact that your design credits are limited to something Frank panned in about 10 seconds as being hopelessly unbalanced.

While I appreciate your input, and am a lot nicer than Bigode, maturity clearly isn't your strong point, and it would be better if you would desist in pointless behavior of that sort.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

How do you visualize "rainbow fury"? You describe it, but I want more detail.

Currently, this is what I'm imagining:
When you strike a foe, a half-dozen arcs of colored light (rainbows) explode out of the wound (along with the blood), and you take a moment to direct them at nearby enemies. Where the rainbows hit, they cut like blades: another shower of blood.

Basically, a violent parody of the care bears.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

You pretty much got it in one, CGF. That's exactly what I think it looks like.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Bigode wrote:Epic Fucking Win is Fucking Epic.
Indeed.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Mister_Sinister wrote:While I appreciate your input, and am a lot nicer than Bigode, maturity clearly isn't your strong point, and it would be better if you would desist in pointless behavior of that sort.
When I say, "Gee, rainbow fury is going to involve a lot of attack rolls, particularly when dealing with normal AoOs and things like Robilar's Gambit," and it's dismissed with, "LAWL FIREBALLS," the author of said comment can eat ass and die.

Greater dispel magic at level six is too strong. If you want me to be an ass about it, then I could call you a retard for thinking that evasion should be gotten after an at-will SLA that is a sixth-level spell.
Ant wrote:
Tshern
Journeyman

Post by Tshern »

Greater dispel magic at level six is no better than Dispel magic at level six.
Joe, who plans to own Newall's Plumbing Company, asked the presidential hopeful about his plan to increase taxes for some Americans. He felt that Obama's increase plan may redistribute wealth.

"Robin Hood stole from greedy rich people and redistributed it to the peasants, so to speak, so if he's [Obama] calling us peasants, I kind of resent that," -Joe the Plumber, a Republican.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Psychic Robot wrote: Greater dispel magic at level six is too strong. If you want me to be an ass about it, then I could call you a retard for thinking that evasion should be gotten after an at-will SLA that is a sixth-level spell.
Greater dispel magic differs from dispel magic by one thing - one scales to 20, the other only to 10. There is NO other difference. Lern 2 reed.
Tshern
Journeyman

Post by Tshern »

The charisma modifier to the check pretty much guarantees a success though. Then again, I am not sure if I'd spend an action dispelling a caster in the first place, because giving them a free toy round is sort of stupid. This is more useful for dispelling persistent effects. At least that is the way I see it.

Out of sheer curiosity, spell-likes cannot be used to counterspelling, but how about this?

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Psychic Robot wrote:Greater dispel magic at level six is too strong.
What's too strong about it? It is literally exactly the same as regular Dispel Magic until the character hits 11th level, and then it just doesn't become inappropriately weak. The Marshall gets Dispel Magic as an at-will swift action at 3rd level, and nobody gives a care.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

I'd say that being able to cast dispel magic at-will at level six is too strong. Being able to add your Charisma modifier to it makes it even stronger. Being able to cast dispel magic multiple times per day is fine, but it's too powerful for an at-will ability, at least at level six.
Mister_Sinister wrote:Greater dispel magic differs from dispel magic by one thing - one scales to 20, the other only to 10. There is NO other difference. Lern 2 reed.
To nitpick, it can dispel things that dispel magic cannot.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant wrote:
Tshern
Journeyman

Post by Tshern »

How much do you have to dispel at level six anyway? If you actually spend time to get rid of someone's Mage armor, you aren't really doing too well in the first place.

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Psychic Robot wrote:I'd say that being able to cast dispel magic at-will at level six is too strong. Being able to add your Charisma modifier to it makes it even stronger. Being able to cast dispel magic multiple times per day is fine, but it's too powerful for an at-will ability, at least at level six.

Ok, to the first point - once you can use something more than four-six times a day, how many more uses you have is academic. Seriously, this isn't even up for debate. If you're concerned about balance, check the spheres in the Tomes - they have a lot of at-wills, because seriously, if you're getting your panties in a bunch over infinite dispel magic uses, you really need to learn something about game balance in 3.5. Seriously.

And the nitpick is daft, because they are both level-appropriate at whatever levels they're at, so it actually doesn't mean anything at all.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Psychic Robot wrote:I'd say that being able to cast dispel magic at-will at level six is too strong. Being able to add your Charisma modifier to it makes it even stronger. Being able to cast dispel magic multiple times per day is fine, but it's too powerful for an at-will ability, at least at level six.
Mister_Sinister wrote:Greater dispel magic differs from dispel magic by one thing - one scales to 20, the other only to 10. There is NO other difference. Lern 2 reed.
So basically, it's a mother fucking Warlock, except more gimp because you don't get free damage out of the Dispel spam.

Cataclysmic Fail is Fucking Cataclysmic.

PR: Oh noes, teh Warlock Dispel spam is teh overpowered!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
Sunic/Roy/CoL/Smiting Cat/Epic Win/Over 9,000 other nicknames: Fuck you, you fucking lying fucker. Go suck on a barrel of cocks and STFU.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Ok, to the first point - once you can use something more than four-six times a day, how many more uses you have is academic.
I suppose you're right. However, I still think spamming it at-will with a bonus equal to your Charisma modifier is too strong. The reason that it's okay for the warlock is because the warlock sucks.

Also, I didn't realize that SLAs can't counterspell spells.

A side question: is the bright blade permanently enhanced?

EDIT: I also forgot, this is being written for Tome. I suppose its power is perfectly in-line with Tome classes and splatbook casters.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant wrote:
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Yes - it is permanently enhanced.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

That's what I figured. Are you by default assuming the Wish economy? If not, you should add a clause that the weapon loses its properties once out of the possession of the bright blade (or that only one weapon can be enchanted at a time). I suppose you could also assume no shenanigans on behalf of the players.
Ant wrote:
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Psychic Robot wrote:Are you by default assuming the Wish economy?
It's Tome? That said, the wish economy isn't really expected to be entered at level 2.
Psychic Robot wrote:I suppose you could also assume no shenanigans on behalf of the players.
Nope, that's in general retarded.
Psychic Robot wrote:If not, you should add a clause that the weapon loses its properties once out of the possession of the bright blade (or that only one weapon can be enchanted at a time).
The former's in the spirit of the original, and what I'll use.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.