Anatomy of Failed Design: Skill Challenges

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Anatomy of Failed Design: Skill Challenges

Post by Username17 »

So as we know there are many different design goals you can have in making a rule or a subsystem. And as such it can be difficult to determine if a rule is functioning correctly. When a halfling slinger throws a rock at an ogre's head, is the rule functioning right when the ogre goes down or when the ogre stays up? That depends on what your goals are. And yet, we know that 4e Skill challenges are a failure. Not just subjectively, but objectively. How do we know that?

Well it goes back to design goals. And for that, we're going to take relentless Skill Challenge booster and designers Bill Slavicsek and Mike Mearls' actual word for it. see, skill challenges are something that really excite him, and considering how infectious that excitement is, it seems that his stated design goals probably have a fair amount of resonance.
Bill Slavicsek wrote:From the first discussions about D&D 4th Edition, we knew that we wanted a mechanical subsystem as robust as combat that could handle the other things PCs do in an adventure—namely, social encounters and challenge encounters. We didn’t want a system that reduced all the intricacies of a situation to a single die roll; we also didn’t want a system that failed to add to the fun of an adventure. What we did want, for the situations that called for it, was a system full of tension, drama, and risk… the very essence of any D&D encounter.
Get everyone involved!
The first goal of the Skill Challenges is to keep people from feeling that their characters have nothing to contribute. That is, to get everyone trying to do something every round of the challenge rather than just sitting back and eating Doritos while the Diplomancer talks. Again.

A worthy goal. But wait a minute, Skill Challenges don't do that, do they? Indeed, since any failure on the team counts against the team's failure numbers, anyone who isn't the half elf diplomancer or bullysaurus who so much as opens their mouth during a social encounter to let words out instead of filling it with Doritos is actively hurting the team's chances. Each roll has a chance to add to the failure quote, so if you don't have the bet roll the entire team is better off with you not rolling at all. That's bad, but it's actually worse than that, because in addition to relegating the rest of the team to Doritos munching, they take longer to resolve than the old system. So not only has the core objective of pulling the excluded players into the game not been achieved, the excluded characters are actually excluded for longer in real time.
  • What to do instead: One of the key components to getting people to try to contribute is to make their contributions be positive, or at least neutral. That means not using up party resources to act. The party could be limited by the number of total challenge rounds, or individual characters could be knocked out of the challenge after they individually rack up enough failures. Either way, a character who was ill suited for a challenge could still pull a success out of their rounds and the team would be richer for that assistance (however minor).
Be Dynamic!
The second goal of the skill challenge was to get people to throw around different techniques round after round. "Each skill check in a challenge should grant the players a tangible repercussion for the check's success or failure, one that influences their subsequent decisions." In short, people shouldn't just spam their best skill, they should be responding to the tests tactically, making different choices each round and over the course of the challenge the results of their actions should "Introduce a new option that the PCs can pursue, a path to success they didn't know existed."

Cool concept, right? Doing all kinds of different stuff on a round by round basis. Why doesn't it work out? Well, he reason that never happens is because the difference in a Bullysaurus' Intimidate bonus and his Heal check is generally more than +/-10. That means that even if next round you find out that another skill is two steps easier than your focus skill (and remember kids: there are only three difficulty steps), you're still better off just using your focus skill again. It's not even a question. If your focus skill could work at all, you just use it next round without fail.
  • What to do instead: This is more complicated, because you could attack it from several directions. The first is the skill bonuses themselves. If you tightened up the bonuses a lot you could just tantalize people with a shot at an easier skill check and have them jump ship willingly to a secondary or tertiary skill. Or you could go after it on the resource management end. If individual skills couldn't be used every round, you would obviously end up using different skills now and again. If skills had some kind of skill fatigue where using the same skill over and over again was increasingly difficult you would eventually want to switch over to another technique voluntarily no matter how far apart your skill bonuses were.
End Binary!
The third goal is to keep things from being a boring and static binary choice of success or failure. No longer are things just a die roll to see whether you succeed or not, there's... stuff.

Another worthy goal. But um... it totally is binary. As things stand, it's even more binary than rolling a d20 because you can't do degrees of success. The challenge ends the moment you get sufficient successes, so there's really no possible way to get more than the minimum success. Really, for all the stuff where you go round by round and make all kinds of rolls, you still only get 2 end results: success or failure. And there is nothing in there to allow you to get a better success or a worse failure.
  • What to do instead: There's no real excuse to have a dozen die rolls be incapable of generating more than 2 end results if that's your goal. Obvious methods include setting the task to a finite number of rounds and having a minimum number of successes to count as an overall success with additional successes raising the level of awesome - or having a terminating number of failures for each participant with characters allowed to just keep adding cherries on top until they are forced to stop. In either case you could cut it short when player were just trying to get across a chasm or something essentially binary while still allowing dice to keep getting rolled during a tense negotiation to see if you could get an extra plate of shrimp out of the deal.

Other Difficulties

The Difficulty level has been discussed Extensively. With charts. A key portion of any mechanic would be to make it so that the results weren't mathematically untenable.

It is highly problematic to call success on an individual die roll "success" while success on the overall challenge is also called "success." The fact that "failure" has the exact same confusing double meaning is equally bad. The part and the whole need to have distinct terminology so that we can talk about them. The individual die rolls could create "steps and setbacks" I don't even care. It just has to have a different name from the result that comes from tallying all the rolls together.

And finally, for goodness sake, whatever your system is, actually use it. When Mike Mearls describes using skill challenges, he says stuff like this:
Mearls wrote:As the characters travel through town, it is important that they all make an effort to keep a low profile. When the PCs take one of the actions above, each PC in the group must make a separate skill check. The group, as a whole, must have more successes than failures in order to succeed overall. Otherwise, the group fails (including on a tie).

The PCs can each use a different skill, provided each skill is allowable for that action. Each PC can also aid one other PC. One PC can receive aid from more than one ally.
I man seriously, what the heck is that? It's not recognizable as a skill challenge out of the book. Which basically tells us what we've always known: that the designers just did random stuff and never even paid lip service to the skill challenge rules they were actually writing down. Don't do that. If you come up with something that seems to work better than the original methods, you should write that one down. You should not publish something that has little or no relation to the rules you actually use in your game that seem to be working.

-Username17
Last edited by Username17 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Just one thing.
One of the key components to getting people to try to contribute is to make their contributions be positive, or at least neutral.
The funny thing about this is 3.5 actually did that with Aid Anothers. Worst case scenario, you fail the AA (neutral). Otherwise you help. Of course you help so fucking trivially, and he doesn't need your help in the first place. Epic Potato Chips it is. Of course if you try on your own, you've already covered the Fail that ensues.

This makes 4.Fail even worse than you said though, as it means they have regressed further instead of just going all the way and making the contributions of others actually mean something you care about instead of being an active fucking liability.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I also personally think that there just aren't enough skills to do skill challenges with.

I mean, really, they're supposed to encourage creativity but we can pretty much guess ahead of time what skills people are going to use. If the skill challenge is 'chase a criminal down the back alleys', Streetwise and Athletics are going first on the chopping block. Even with some sort of resource limitation, people only get creative with skill challenges when they run out of Diplomacy or Intimidate for the 'cow the mountain bandits' plot. Which makes us wonder why they didn't just shorten the number of successes needed and say that you can't use Diplomacy or Intimidate.

4E needs Profession and Craft skills more than any other edition yet fucking took them out for some goddamn reason. If the skill challenge is 'rescue the child before he's consumed by the fire on the galleon', wouldn't this be just the time for someone to have ranks in the Sailor or Firefighter profession or even just have Craft/Vehicles?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

What it really needs is special "not related to combat" abilities. Maybe a separate track so you don't have to choose between "Face Stabbing" and "Facial Expressions" or whatever. That way, when you're trying to talk your way past the guards, this happens:

Rogue: I use Double-Talk, throwing in plenty of lingo that I just made up then and acting like only an idiot wouldn't understand me, causing the Confused status effect.

Party Face: Meanwhile, I try to talk him over to our point of view by activating Voice of Reason and using Quid Pro Quo.

Bullysaurus: I'll use my multiclassed power Sidle to end up behind him and then activate Loom. Now he's Worried. In fact, because I'm sharing his square, the feat "Dragon Cock? I Walk!" applies and he gets a Nervousness penalty.

Tieflock: I show him my boobs, using the Great Cleavage feet. Now he's Fascinated.

---

Jokes aside, doesn't that sound cool?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Witchalok: I raise my shirt.After looking at my bared, hermaphroditic-androgynite, chest. The guard is Confused.

Rogue: Awesome! That puts the character in the next state of Confused; which is Bewildered, next round we can drive him Mad, even if he recovers from his Bewilderment.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I also personally think that there just aren't enough skills to do skill challenges with.

4E needs Profession and Craft skills more than any other edition yet fucking took them out for some goddamn reason. If the skill challenge is 'rescue the child before he's consumed by the fire on the galleon', wouldn't this be just the time for someone to have ranks in the Sailor or Firefighter profession or even just have Craft/Vehicles?
Oh certainly. In 4e D&D there are exactly 17 skills. Of those:
  • 1 is Strength Based.
  • 3 are Dex based.
  • 1 is Con based.
  • 3 are Int based.
  • 5 are Wis based.
  • 4 are Cha based.
Now the wort part is how completely non-overlapping the knowledge type skills are. While there are five Wis based skills, there aren't a whole lot of challenges where you could plausibly even consider using Dungeoneering and Nature. So right away any Wisdom based character is set to auto-spam even if they have more than one of these. The physical skills are even worse: a Strength Fighter only has one good skill, so when he chases people through town he is always just going to just spam athletics over and over again. The 4e designers keep saying that merely decribing the action as changing is enough to make it different. But I disagree. Fundamentally you are just rolling the same roll over and over again with no meaningful choices in between. It's like playing Ninja Burger when you have an unlimited number of Incredible Ninja Leaps to play.

I've been thinking about the problem if integrating creative thought a lot. And I think that at least a way to do it would be to get rid of the basic skills altogether. You could just assume that people who were strong could jump. Then you could bring in interests. Like in the narrative format from movies. All of your stunts are foreshadowed by the fact that there is various non-adventuring stuff that you do.

So for example, your character might play rugby. When you re chasing someone, you don't "make an athletics roll" you relate the action to your rugby playing and try to rugby tackle the guy or rugby toss the idol to a compatriot. Or your character might be a blacksmith and take a door apart or be a tailor and find a small object, or whatever. And while such a system could easily get stuck on the rails with Anything Goes Martial Arts Cobbling or "I Read in a Book That..." that's still incredibly superior to what 4e has given us!

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So for example, your character might play rugby. When you re chasing someone, you don't "make an athletics roll" you relate the action to your rugby playing and try to rugby tackle the guy or rugby toss the idol to a compatriot. Or your character might be a blacksmith and take a door apart or be a tailor and find a small object, or whatever. And while such a system could easily get stuck on the rails with Anything Goes Martial Arts Cobbling or "I Read in a Book That..." that's still incredibly superior to what 4e has given us!
I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that.

You might get into a situation where people take professions like Farmer or Politician and they get to use their skills a lot more often than the poor bastards who picked Brewer or Math Major you hear that xvcd? No one thinks your profession warrants your wankery over it. I still love you, but fucking take a chill pill English Teacher.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

And while such a system could easily get stuck on the rails with Anything Goes Martial Arts Cobbling or "I Read in a Book That..." that's still incredibly superior to what 4e has given us!
Bolded for emphasis: what things are these?
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Anything Goes Martial Arts: watch/read some goddamn Ranma 1/2 before I slap the psionics out of you. In Ranma 1/2, the main style is Anything Goes Martial Arts. And for whatever reason, Ranma always finds himself/herself competing in Martial Arts Tea Ceremony, Martial Arts Flower Arrangement, Martial Arts Figure Skating... and so on.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Or don't because it really is terrible: But yeah, thats the general premise.
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

I didn't think there was much wrong with the 3.5 skill system at heart, and Aid Another was far from a stupid thing to do at low levels for exactly the reasons already described.

Where it fell down was in the descriptions of what some of the specific skills could do, and in providing so many different ways of influencing the system via magic and the like, which collectively amounted to a big fat problem. Oh, and generating huge wodges of cash. Still, the basic ideas of having skill points, having a cap on the number of ranks you could put in at a particular level, being able to choose which skills you devoted your time to and being able to train cross-class skills if you wanted without burning feats; all that was good, even if the numbers worked out wrong.

4E skills are arse. They're too disheartening for me to even be bothered with joining in the general enumeration of their flaws (again). *sigh*
Thymos
Knight

Post by Thymos »

I like this dissection you gave Frank, it really helps analyze the problem with skill challenges.

I think you forgot something though. In general there is a principle to not make players roll the dice if you don't have to. Two players trying to throw a rope across a chasm with now time constraints? I wouldn't make them roll, I'd just tell them they succeed eventually. If orcs are attacking however I would make them roll.

Skill challenges not only force rolls that we don't even want people to be making, they force multiple rolls which make them even worse. It seems to me the only time we want to have people to roll multiple times is to determine how long it takes to do something.

As far as the problem of jumping and strength, even that doesn't work because if we dissociate attributes from skills then you can have a weak person who is a champion swimmer and can't jump even a foot. This just doesn't make sense. The system I proposed links the two together, so I think I have something of 20+ skills, with multiple ones in every category (hoping for someone to comment). [/i]
Last edited by Thymos on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

FrankTrollman wrote: So for example, your character might play rugby. When you re chasing someone, you don't "make an athletics roll" you relate the action to your rugby playing and try to rugby tackle the guy or rugby toss the idol to a compatriot. Or your character might be a blacksmith and take a door apart or be a tailor and find a small object, or whatever. And while such a system could easily get stuck on the rails with Anything Goes Martial Arts Cobbling or "I Read in a Book That..." that's still incredibly superior to what 4e has given us!
I don't really like that, because it's just going to lead to more 3E syndrome where you've got useful skills and crap skills.

The 4E skill system is actually fairly good. All the skills (with the possible exception of endurance) are useful for something you might need while adventuring.

Turning the game into "I try to convince my DM how my obscure skill is useful in this situation" will only lead to frustration, since you never really know what kinds of skill uses a DM will allow, and it's basically just magic teaparty. Some people might allow your "Profession: outfielder" skill to allow you to jump and run, others might allow it just to help you run, and some may even say it just helps you catch things.

And that's just going to cause problems in game.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

A DM who doesn't let you use Profession: Outfielder to jump and run either doesn't know a lot about baseball or is an enormous infected cow dick. Hobby or Profession skills in the game should allow you to exactly know what you can do with your skill if it's not obvious already.

But still, if we're going to have skills be that specific, then why have Skill Challenges in the first place?

I mean, really, if your DM is running a 'convince your crew not to mutiny' skill challenge and won't let any skill but Intimidate and Diplomacy really work, then why can't he just say 'Everyone, roll for Intimidate or Diplomacy'? That's the whole point of skill challenges; rather than roll those skills really hard people also try to use Nature to get extra fish for the sailors to eat or use History to tell the crew an entertaining story.

So we know ahead of time that being an paragon-level farmer should allow you to befriend all manner of beasts and also to instantly identify any kind of plant in the world. But whether the farmer can use their skill to cook up vats of poison for the elven archery squad to use or use their barn-building knowledge to find weaknesses in the enemy's wooden fortress should be up in the air.

Otherwise there's no point to skill challenges at all.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RC wrote:Turning the game into "I try to convince my DM how my obscure skill is useful in this situation" will only lead to frustration, since you never really know what kinds of skill uses a DM will allow, and it's basically just magic teaparty.
Oh absolutely. But if you want to encourage "creativity in skill use" that's what you want. It's not for everyone of course, but if you're asking people to think outside the box and use different skills to do stuff you are playing magical teaparty and you'd better get used to that or bark up a different tree.

I'm not saying that explicit fixed skill lists that everything is arbitrarily segregated into is bad - far from it. But the thing is that while that is defensible design choice, it is in no way compatible with the zany creativity fountain that is the explicit design goal of the Skill Challenges. If you're supposed to be using different skills in innovative ways, your skills need to support that. They need to be skills that are open ended and encourage innovation like "Tailor" and not like "Perception."

You are rejecting haggling with the DM over whether your skills apply to a given situation as a design goal. That's fine. But I think it's slightly out of the scope of my critique to determine that the subjective goals of the skill challenge system are bad goals to have - merely to discuss how the presented system fails to meet those goals and present simple and fairly obvious ways that they could have been met.

But if your design goal includes:
James Wyatt wrote:When a player’s turn comes up in a skill challenge, let that player’s character use any skill the player wants. as long as the player or you can come up with a way to let this secondary skill play a part in the challenge, go for it.
Then obviously you want open ended and overlapping, story-based skills rather than fixed and delineated skills.

-Username17
MartinHarper
Knight-Baron

Post by MartinHarper »

Roy wrote:The funny thing about this is 3.5 actually did that with Aid Anothers.
The 4e rules, pre-errata, allow Aid Another in skill challenges. Post-errata, they suggest the DM limit its use to one or two. So, relax, 4e has the same Aid Another lameness as 3e.

Post errata 4e skill challenges are auto-success. Thus they encourage everyone to contribute (because you can't fail without actively trying), they allow a diversity of skills (because you can succeed by trying skills out at random, regardless of modifiers), and they end binary outcomes (in favour of unary outcomes).
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Aid Another shouldn't even be allowed to be used in Skill Challenges anyway, because all that does is encourage players to go 'hey, since I have no skills that can really help in the 'Scale the Mountain' SC, I'm just going to Aid Another on someone who does care. My Athletics bonus is +4, my Acrobatics is +3, my Nature is +7, I'm going to go play Smash Bros. until this is over.'
Thus they encourage everyone to contribute (because you can't fail without actively trying), they allow a diversity of skills (because you can succeed by trying skills out at random, regardless of modifiers), and they end binary outcomes (in favour of unary outcomes).
Or rather:

They encourage only a few people to contribute: the people already the most engaged in the game. Since it doesn't matter who contributes, as long as someone does, the more bored people can go play Smash Bros. until it's over.

-AND-

They don't allow a diversity of skills. Since every skill is going to succeed anyway, you might as well only use the ones you can most easily explain. Why bother looking to shoehorn in your +20 Athletics skill to the 'Convince the Bandits' SC when you can just use your +10 Diplomacy skill and have it work anyway?
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeadlyReed
Journeyman

Post by DeadlyReed »

By the way, angelfromanotherpin copied Frank's original post over to RPGnet and it got a response from Mike Mearls. You can read it here.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So Mearls simply pulled a fast one and claimed that we can't lambaste him for failing to write a good system and lambaste him for pretending that the system works by using different systems because that is hypocrisy?

Also: bonus points for people attacking AFAP for ripping me off after I told him he could reprint my material with or without attribution.

I actually do have an RPG.net account. I don't use it because a moderator told me that even though I hadn't broken any rules that my opinions offended them personally and that they would find reasons to ban me if I didn't leave.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

FrankTrollman wrote:So Mearls simply pulled a fast one and claimed that we can't lambaste him for failing to write a good system and lambaste him for pretending that the system works by using different systems because that is hypocrisy?
I could't get access to the whole Dungeon article that last quote is from, but it seems like Mearls was playtesting (or maybe showcasing) a possible fix for the skill challenge system, instead of just farting around and making believe that his house rules were the rules. I could be wrong.
FrankTrollman wrote:Also: bonus points for people attacking AFAP for ripping me off after I told him he could reprint my material with or without attribution.
I can't fucking win with those people. When I attribute your stuff, personal butthurt clogs the discussion. When I don't... well, personal butthurt clogs the discussion, apparently.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I love how Belac does his stealth criticism of Frank by implying that Frank is a jealous 15 year old who is just jealous of mearls ability to actually be published through association.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

FrankTrollman wrote: I actually do have an RPG.net account. I don't use it because a moderator told me that even though I hadn't broken any rules that my opinions offended them personally and that they would find reasons to ban me if I didn't leave.
What opinions were those?
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Most likely that the only way to judge the rules is to look at the rules themselves and use math rather than feelings.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

NineInchNall wrote:Most likely that the only way to judge the rules is to look at the rules themselves and use math rather than feelings.
+1. Lots of people whine about that. I'm soloing a whole fucking swarm of hypocrites accordingly right now. Massive free XP and loot.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Wow. After reading that rpg.net thread my ire hit that critical "must reply" level, but my lethargy won again.

I particularly enjoyed the Belphanior, "Wait. Wait," post and Frank's response. Which was dead on the money, I might add.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.