Celestial Classes and Feats

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

?

I disagree. I feel that I do listen to other people's feedback, and that it does affect my design choices.

The mystic dilettante thread seems like decent evidence of that.
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50076& ... sc&start=0
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

It looks to me like you wrote a shitty feat, people told you it was shitty, so you wrote a different shitty feat that didn't address any of their complaints, then other people made not that shitty feats, then you wrote a hundred shitty feats that are shitty for the exact reason I told you they were shitty that you ignored.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

My most recent draft of the Mystic Dilettante is a bunch of feats that give access to specific packages of hourly SLAs. This took into account the responses I got that indicated giving a potentially huge list of spells where the PC would be incentivized to search out the best possible options was a bad thing. I am pretty happy with the Mystic Dilettante as it is currently, and the responses I have gotten are a mix of positive and suggestions for minor changes.

I have abandoned the old concept of giving actual spellcasting from a feat. This is both due to the large number of responses that indicated that it was a terrible idea and the fact that my current version seems easier to use, less potentially broken, and more fun.

Admittedly, the fact that the feedback I have gotten on my current version so far seems positive is lessened in importance when I consider the fact that I have not gotten very much of it. It may not be a representative sample of what people in this forum think. Nevertheless, I like what I have currently and have not gotten any substantial suggestions for improvements or changes. Thus, I have no drive to modify this work other than expanding it to cover more options by writing more themed feats.

I have shown that I am open to making changes in response to constructive criticism, and I am sincerely interested in what people have to say, good or bad, about the stuff I write. I feel that my work has shown improvement, and I make an effort to not dismiss suggestions just because they come from a contributor that lacks credibility in my eyes. There is little else it is immediately apparent that I should do.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I have given you criticism of your crappy dilettante feats. I explained already that giving out spells on a "once per hour" "once per minute" "once per bullshit" times is actually shitty and you need to never do it.

Making people keep track of time like that is bullshit and needs to go away, not become more. We are not computers, cooldown timers are bad.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Actually, no. I don't see a single post from you in that thread. I vaguely recall you mentioning that you disliked hourly abilities in another thread, but the search function is not being helpful, and if this was in a discussion for a specific game rather than a design thread, I may have not given your response consideration from a design perspective.

In addition:
sigma999 wrote:Pants, magic pants...

Junk, magic junk.

Those "once per day" should be more like "once per hour", or "once per encounter" if supported within 3e at the time, due to the general failure of per-day utility powers in wider scope of a setting.
.. OR if you have support for free SLAs of the previous group each time a new benchmark is gained.
It was specifically indicated in the thread that at least one person wanted hourly or encounter-based recharge. I balanced the ability sets based on that, though switching them to daily probably wouldn't be too horrible of a power drop. I suppose that encounter-based recharge abilities would be easier to manage, but I don't really like that mechanic.

That said, I can see your point. I posted an alternative recharge proposal in the Dilettante thread, and we may wish to move this discussion there.

------------------

How do people feel about an Aura of Menace rewrite that is just a Fear effect, some kind of Save or be Shaken, say?
Draculmaulkee
Apprentice

Post by Draculmaulkee »

Ok, I've been thinking about the balancing of this feat some more, and it really just needs to be balanced against the Product of Infernal Dalliance. So how does this look? (thanks Avoraciopoctules for the shaken idea)

Product of Celestial Dalliance
You may take any [Celestial] feat and you radiate faint good. Additionally, you gain resistance 5 to Acid, Cold, or Electricity and one of the following modified subtypes:
Note: All effects that mimic spells are cast at a level equal to the creature’s character level. All save DC’s follow the formula 10 + ½ character level + charisma modifier.

[Angel]
• Low-light vision
• Immunity to acid, cold, and petrification
• Resistance to electricity 10 and fire 10
• Always under a Tongues effect
• Always under a Protection from Evil effect

[Archon]
• Low-light vision
• Immunity to electricity and petrification
• Aura of Menace (hostile creatures within 20 feet must make a Will save or be shaken. Creatures who have resisted the Aura once are immune to its effects for 24 hours)

[Eladrin]
• Low-light vision
• Resistance to cold 10 and fire 10
• +5 feet bonus to land movement speed. This bonus increases by 5 feet at 5th, 10th, 15th , and 20th level. Your feet are surrounded by either a whirlwind of sand or a white glow when you move quickly.

[Guardinal]
• Low-light vision
• Resistance to cold 10 and sonic 10
• The Lay on Hands ability of the PHB paladin, the healing pool is equal to your full hit point total.
• Always under a Speak with Animals effect that also allows you to communicate with the subjects non-verbally if you so choose
Last edited by Draculmaulkee on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Did someone somewhere make an Armor Combat Feat, ala Weapon of Righteous Destruction?
As to the Feats from Draculmaulkee:
Why no Darkvision?
Archons seems a little lackluster, would always take Protection from Evil over Aura of Menance...

At the moment I would 9.5 times out of 10 take the Angel subtype.
(0.5 times out of 10 the Guardinal subtype)
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Yeah... not working

Post by For Valor »

What I'm getting form this is the following (concerning game balance):

a) acid and fire damage = electricity damage
b) Tongues = Speak with Animals
c) Protection From Evil = minor movement speed bonus = Lay on Hands, and all of those are weaker than the toned-down Aura of Menace you've got.

I disagree.

Give 'em DV, immunity to X and Y, then Tongues/Speak with Animals (those seem pretty equivalent... though I don't use either of them at all in my games. Other opinions here?), 2-3 resistances, and something like Protection From Evil + your version of Aura of Menace.
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Used the Weapon of Righteos Destruction as Matrix, and slapped random things on it. What should I change?

Faith-Armor [Combat]
0 - Whatever armor (or clothes or your skin) you are wearing it’s considered Magical (+1/3 bonus/level [round down]) in addition to any other properties that it has.
1 - Tremorsense (30 ft.)
6 - Armor counts as one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. Spell failure chances for armors are decreased by 10%, maximum Dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0)*
11 - Blindsense (60 ft.) instead of Tremorsense
16 - Spell Resistance (10+CL)

* Stolen from the Celestial Beacon