So, how 'bout them Mage Slayer feats?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

So, how 'bout them Mage Slayer feats?

Post by Psychic Robot »

When I was first introduced to D&D (and greedily acquiring as many books as possible just to take in all the feats and prestige classes that there were), I noticed these feats. At the time, I figured that they weren't worth much, and passed them over. However, looking back, I can see that they might be useful to a fighter.

They do, unfortunately, require a bit of an investiture in the way of feats, but...

Mage Slayer
+1 bonus on Will Saves, spellcasters you threaten can't cast defensively. Your caster level is reduced by 4.

Pierce Magical Concealment
Requires Mage Slayer and Blind Fight.
Disregard all miss chance created by magic--blur, darkness, invisibility, and the like. You automatically know which is the real enemy when you see a mirror image. Caster level is reduced by 4. (Don't ask me how you negate the miss chance provided by invisibility, considering the miss chance is caused by not seeing the target, so you're hacking blindly into one square and you can't see your target, but...argh.)

Pierce Magical Protection
Requires Mage Slayer.
As a standard action, make a single attack that ignores all bonuses to AC granted by spells. If it hits and does damage, all spells and spell effects that provide a bonus to AC are auto-dispelled. Caster level is reduced by 4.

While obviously the fighter still sucks, it seems that these feats would be fairly useful in his repertoire. Thoughts?
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Pierce Magic Concealment is for Blinking Rogues, just in case your DM disagrees that thrown objects revert to realspace.

This also gives you attacks into the Ethereal whenever you want too.

Notice that despite the feat name, you ignore all miss chances due to spells, not all concealment. So yah, awesome.

Pierce Magical Protection is weird.

For example, if you can land a hit on a Shapechanged Wizard, he reverts to pussy self, which is hilarious.

Of course, someone asked the Sage about it, and he of course said, "Fuck no, Fighters can't have nice things!" Ruling that only explicit AC bonus spells count, so you can't even use it to cancel a Cat's Grace, much less a Polymorph according to him.
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Pierce Magical Protection would be a lot nicer if it wasn't melee only.

Pierce Magical Concealment is interesting, but tough to adjudicate. As you say, it negates the miss chance due to an invisibility spell, but there's nothing there that suggests the feat helps you target the correct square. Likewise the obscuring mist example... you can ignore the miss chance due to concealment, but does that mean you can just see through the mist, or do you only ignore the miss chance if you target the correct square?

If you still can't use sight to target the correct square, I wonder how useful this feat would be (unless you were using blink, in which case this is absolutely something you want to be doing).

EDIT: Kaelik beat me to it on the blink front
Last edited by Amra on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I'd go with it only applying if you target the correct square. but there are ways to do that.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

ubernoob wrote:Actually, PMP explicitly only applies to bonuses. Replacements aren't bonuses.
That doesn't even pretend to matter.

Mage Armor provides an Armor bonus.
Shield provides a Shield bonus.
Polymorph provides a Natural Armor bonus.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well, I was going to say that blind fight probably helps you locate the invisible creature, but... well, blind fight is shit.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

zz
Last edited by ubernoob on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Oh, the feat is meaningless gibberish. When you happen to have a wall of ice between you and the target, there's a cover bonus to the guy's AC. When he's got a Magic Vestment cast on his armor there's an Enhancement Bonus to the Armor Bonus of the armor to his AC. I mean seriously, what the fuck?

I would never allow the Mage Slayer feats because they are not written with the actual rules and order of operations of Dungeons and Dragons in mind. I honestly can't tell what they are supposed to do in most circumstances where they ought to apply.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak_Anima wrote:well, I was going to say that blind fight probably helps you locate the invisible creature, but... well, blind fight is shit.
Now now. Blind Fight is really fucking good at telling Rogues they really should be shooting bows or throwing flasks and not fighting in melee.

Because you know, we really needed another way to screw melee Rogues.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

I like Mage Slayer. I only rarely take it.

I have not bothered to try and reconcile these two statements.

Basically, being able to roll up on a caster with a Reach weapon and finally having something to do to them other than get fucked is nice, though that assumes you can hit said caster (of course they're buffed) and they fail the Concentration check.
Last edited by mean_liar on Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Why can't the Mage Slayer feats just do a Mordenkainen's Disjunction on the enemy?

It's not even like the feat will kill a spellcaster. You get one attack as a standard action and they can still cast the spells that kill you. So you pierced their armor--whoopity fucking do.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

PMP also cancels out invisibility, as being invisible grants a bonus to AC. It cancels reduce person and anything that grants uncanny dodge or prevents you from being flat footed, too.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

NineInchNall wrote:It cancels...anything that grants uncanny dodge or prevents you from being flat footed, too.
I don't think so. Those effects don't effect your Dex modifier to AC, they act upon the set of circumstances within which it applies.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Why can't the Mage Slayer feats just do a Mordenkainen's Disjunction on the enemy?

It's not even like the feat will kill a spellcaster. You get one attack as a standard action and they can still cast the spells that kill you. So you pierced their armor--whoopity fucking do.
Because game disjunction should burn in hell.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Obviously with some kind of clause of 'this can't affect magic items' because lord knows the problem is with the spell rather than the dumbass wealth-by-level system.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

FrankTrollman wrote:Oh, the feat is meaningless gibberish. When you happen to have a wall of ice between you and the target, there's a cover bonus to the guy's AC. When he's got a Magic Vestment cast on his armor there's an Enhancement Bonus to the Armor Bonus of the armor to his AC. I mean seriously, what the fuck?

I would never allow the Mage Slayer feats because they are not written with the actual rules and order of operations of Dungeons and Dragons in mind. I honestly can't tell what they are supposed to do in most circumstances where they ought to apply.

-Username17
If you got someone's summoned creatures to use Aid Another for the +2 AC, you could dispel them too.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Jacob_Orlove wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Oh, the feat is meaningless gibberish. When you happen to have a wall of ice between you and the target, there's a cover bonus to the guy's AC. When he's got a Magic Vestment cast on his armor there's an Enhancement Bonus to the Armor Bonus of the armor to his AC. I mean seriously, what the fuck?

-Username17
If you got someone's summoned creatures to use Aid Another for the +2 AC, you could dispel them too.
But can you Iron Heart Surge the Sun?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

This is like the discussion of whether claws of the beast can be Empowered.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

Roy wrote:But can you Iron Heart Surge the Sun?
I'd consider the Sun to be a condition that afflicts its readers for a duration of 1 or more rounds. So, yes, the Sun can be Iron Heart Surged. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, though.
Last edited by Heath Robinson on Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

While an amusing and literal answer, I was more aiming for 'Can you IHS the Sun [with Mage Slayer]?'

Can the Sun potentially give AC bonuses?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Roy wrote:While an amusing and literal answer, I was more aiming for 'Can you IHS the Sun [with Mage Slayer]?'

Can the Sun potentially give AC bonuses?
I'm pretty sure it only ever gives to-hit penalties.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

On the other hand, I have the feeling there are critters who have some bullshit "When it's dark, you get a bonus to your AC. Yes, even though people already take a penalty due to not being able to see you." ability. If you're fighting them, you can... light the area up and make the darkness go away.

Holy shit, you can attack the darkness.

What you want to find are enemies with Snow Veil and Sand Veil*, to change the weather with your sword but without using IHS.

*Pokemon terms. There is probably a D&D equivalent somewhere.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Remember that Pierce Magical Protection still only applies to spells.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack