[Tome of Trees] The Witch

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Frank has a case of rage against nonsensical resistances/regeneration/DR. Which is totally understandable; the point of a puzzle monster is to figure it out. If the answer is 'this monster makes no sense at all or is the opposite of what you'd expect', it lacks the Buddha nature.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Changes made:

Several ability durations changed to "Until the next dawn, dusk, midday or midnight (whichever comes first)".

I am wondering if I should apply some general duration rule for the Witch spells - such as "Rounds/level becomes 1 minute if out of combat, until the end of the combat otherwise. Minutes/level can remain as is. Hours/level becomes until the next dawn, dusk, midday or midnight (whichever comes first)."

Shambling Mounds changed to Battlebriars without even looking at the book. I realise Frank could be banking on this trust and laughing at my gullibility here, but those are the breaks.

I fixed Flight to be infinite duration and require an object.

Some Trickery options can now be taken multiple times.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Shambling Mounds should be replaced with a battlebriar. As in one. While there is a CR 7 lesser Battle Briar, the regular Battle Briar is slightly optimistically valued at CR 15 and has 312 hit points. It has a good set of area denial attacks and generally makes a half decent mount or meat shield for a high level magician. Getting a pile of them would be rather game defining.

In other news: Mordenkainen's Tiny Hut can't be made out of gingerbread, because it isn't made out of anything at all. It's a temperature controlled duck blind and archery platform.

Also, I think a lot can and should be done with Bestow Curse. It's no way worth a 3rd level spell slot even if people weren't allowed saves. Remember that you can mess with spell levels as well as fiddle with spells outright.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

FrankTrollman wrote:In other news: Mordenkainen's Tiny Hut can't be made out of gingerbread, because it isn't made out of anything at all. It's a temperature controlled duck blind and archery platform.
Well, pluck that duck. We need a new spell.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

FrankTrollman wrote:I suggest building them in with a natural duration that goes to the corners of the day (dawn, dusk, noon, midnight). Durations in general need an overhaul into something that involves less round counting - and the Witch is a perfect and iconic class to flagship such a move.
That makes so much sense, the reference is in the example Koumei used even.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

sigma999 wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:In other news: Mordenkainen's Tiny Hut can't be made out of gingerbread, because it isn't made out of anything at all. It's a temperature controlled duck blind and archery platform.
Well, pluck that duck. We need a new spell.
Secure Shelter?
"No, you can't burn the inn down. It's made of solid fire."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Bestow and Remove Curse altered into a series of spells - I had once made an alternate Hexblade with a friend (the class didn't work that well, even though so many of the abilities were really cool), so I stole a bunch of the hexes that we gave that. Now you can layer curses on, so that every animal wants to share their square, and they become allergic to animals, or you can make their clothes fall off and then laugh at them, or whatever.

Hell, you could make them allergic to vermin, then have their hands turn into spiders (because spiders are vermin and rats are not!) and swarms appear in their innards.

M's MM is now added, but modified, and M's TH now has the option of being a modified version.

One Battlebriar now, not many.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

IGTN wrote: Secure Shelter?
Only if you can eat it.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Major necro:

Koumei, this is awesome. I like both the theme and the abilities.

Do you mind if I use something similar to this in my house-ruled list of casters, if I give you credit?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You don't even need to give me credit, go for it. I'll be chuffed that it's getting use.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Looks like one of my players is likely using this for an interesting archetype in my upcoming game.

Which leads me to note that their is no class skill list for this class. As much as I'd like to just plug in "As Druid" or something, I've taken the two minutes to write one, so:

The Witch's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are, Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana, dungeoneering, nature, religon, local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis) and Swim (Str).
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Animal Form looks fun. It would make a nice 3-level dip, including the potions for cheap ability.

If you want "dreamscape travel" there's a Psionic power that does this. You could port it over no trouble (it doesn't scale).
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Added the skill list.

I still want to force the world to abandon the whole class/cross-class skills thing and just let anyone pick any skills.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I understand your reasoning for that, but modular design annat. Which is to say: it's easier for people who ignore class skills to just ignore one more class skill list than it is for people who use class skills to append one.

So thanks for adding it.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."