A fast template system

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

fectin
Prince

A fast template system

Post by fectin »

A couple days ago, I suggested it might be possible to build a template system to make it much easier (i.e., faster) to throw together balanced opposition. I took a crack at it if anyone's interested in looking.

I'm pretty sure it's not perfectly balanced, though I hope it's close. I also stopped (somewhat arbitrarily) at CR 6. I'd be real interested in opinions on the system as proof of concept though.

http://wiki.fectin.com/doku.php?id=scra ... ate_system
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

This looks promising, and potentially very useful in my upcoming game. Curious to see what the missing templates do.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Interesting take on monster/animal building.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

"Dirty" energy. That is all. :)
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Not much point in giving out specific natural weapons. Just give them a "natural weapon", and slap additional attacks on top of that. This way you don't have to worry about whether the boar is clawing rather than biting/goring.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Yeah, it's not that hard to write up a "one natural attack" routine and a "one primary and two secondary attacks" routine in the stat block and pick one.

I suppose you could also add in an extra ability to pick from (bonus NA, pounce, etc), but those are harder to balance and start to get rid of the point of this system.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

It doesn't even really matter whether it's 'bite, bite, bite' or 'claw, tentacle, gore'. The distinction from an unarmed strike only matters for damage types.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Fair point. I had that in there to get the damage type, but it's not really necessary.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

If you just assume that a fast template animal's natural weapon does BPS (like a bite), you end up with the straightforward case of DR/magic and DR/material working, while DR/damage type and DR/alignment don't.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack