Why Do You Play?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

MGuy
Prince

Why Do You Play?

Post by MGuy »

Just as the title of this thread suggests, the question here is why do ya play the game? By that I'm asking the following questions and anything else that pops into your head. What makes you sit around the table and play D&D? What Got you into it? What do you like best? What do you hate? What do you expect to do when you sit down at a game table?

1) I RP to have fun. It's the only real reason to play for me and I expect for most other people.

2) I got into it on a whim because of an episode of Dexter's Lab where they did a gaming spoof.

3) I love to GM. I'm the sandbox story telling type of GM. I do enjoy playing occasionally though not nearly as much as I like to DM.

4) I hate meta gaming. Whenever I DM i am very particular about people staying "in character" The overriding question at my game tables and when I play is "What Would My Character Do?"

5) I expect to be drawn into the game. I expect to be as sucked into the mood as I am when I watch a good show. I want things to put me on the edge of my seat. I want to get to know the PCs so that I might understand them.

Extra details: I don't like 4e. I know here that I'm just singing to the choir but, having moved away from my regular gaming group, I have been stuck playing it recently and a new friend of mine loves it for reasons I can't comprehend. I can't stand the blandness of the classes. The progression railroad that is caked into every part of the game lends nothing toward actual character role playing elements. I don't even like multi-classing into anything but prestige classes and I STILL hate the fact that you can't really multi-class in 4e.

I think that player's enjoy the game best when they've accomplished something that actually seemed impossible through utterly mundane means.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

It's a lot of things for me. I started about 15 years ago, and I can't really tell you any specific reason why other than that the game sounded really interesting. I've always liked fantasy-themed RPGs and I liked the posibilities that TT D&D offered.

As for now, I still like the game for those reasons as well as nostalgia, but I've also developed a love for the tactics that go into making decent characters and running them well in a fight.
ggroy
Knight

Post by ggroy »

Last edited by ggroy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

1. I like analyzing how I think. Roleplaying games allow me to analyze how a hypothetical alternate self might think.

2. I enjoy conflict resolution. RPGs allow for me to approach conflicts I would never encounter normally and would avoid if I did.

3. I usually find puzzles entertaining, and puzzles (as well as problems in general) in tabletop RPGs can be solved in a much wider variety of ways given a competent GM.

4. The mathematical and strategic challenges of optimization are entertaining in the abstract, although they only sometimes enhance my enjoyment of the game in practice.

5. The combat and exploration present in many RPGs can be fun.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I RP to tell stories, and before people go "You're everything bad with the world, go write a fucking book, put it in your drawer and slit your wrists", I admit I cannot tell The Three Little Pigs without someone else taking on the role of Big Bad Wolf, who ends up conquering the universe or something in the end, because players should be rewarded for the help they provide.

Yes, seriously. I'm not bad at writing initial set-ups, but these don't go anywhere without the players, like that falling tree that is suspected to not produce a sound without outside observation. So the world rotates around the PCs, and the NPCs can't help but be vaguely aware of the fact and behave accordingly, with a hint of insanity.

Me being bad at creating protagonists extends to games I play in, unfortunately. To create a character, I establish a few random facts and opinions based on what the DM says and build from there. The characters actually comes to life around the third session or so.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

There are lots of reasons why I started roleplaying. Some of them have been already mentioned - self-analysis in hypothetical situations, puzzles, stories, I like fantasy worlds, etc - but I keep roleplaying because it literally keeps my stress levels low and helps me sleep at night.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
bosssmiley
Apprentice

Post by bosssmiley »

• because they won't let me put the world to rights with a sword IRL (stupid "rule of law")
  • because TV/movies are too passive and most electronic games are dumb eye-candy
  • because game night is a fun excuse for regular bull sessions with my mates
The rules serve the game, not vice versa.