Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

So, I've been thinking: is there any reason why the minimum wage shouldn't be set at whatever the lower bound of the "living wage" is? (Let's assume we've applied some math and determined that $X/hour is that value)
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:So, I've been thinking: is there any reason why the minimum wage shouldn't be set at whatever the lower bound of the "living wage" is? (Let's assume we've applied some math and determined that $X/hour is that value)
Because increasing the minimum wage WILL DRIVE COMPANIES BANKRUPT AND MAKE PEOPLE LOSE JOBS AND DESTROY THE ECONOMY AND LET THE TERRORISTS WIN.

iirc
GreatGreyShrike
Master

Post by GreatGreyShrike »

I think the logic, such as it is, behind having an insufficient-to-live-on-wage as a minimum wage is that there are many jobs done by e.g. teenagers with living expenses that are expected to still be heavily subsidized by other people; also, some jobs are expected to earn additional funding via e.g. tipping.

That said, minimum wage is *far* too low in a lot of places right now, and raising it to a minimum of 'survivable' would probably be a good thing.
Last edited by GreatGreyShrike on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Conservatives will tell you minimum wage jobs aren't for people to live on, they're for teenagers and college kids trying to make some money, and that if you find yourself trying to live on such a wage you should find a better job/develop a more employable skillset. Because clearly, better jobs grow on trees and are available to anyone who wants them and developing a more employable skillset is completely free. And if you point out that there aren't actually enough teenagers looking for work to perform the jobs they think should be performed by teenagers and that those industries are some of the largest and fastest growing sectors of employment, they mostly just repeat themself except louder.

The moral of the story is sometimes productive and necessary members of society shouldn't get food and shelter because reasons.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

The big problem with that logic is that (first Google hit) three-quarters of minimum-wage earners aren't teenagers. That might be fine if two minimum-wage jobs were enough to support a family, but between the low hourly wage and the very low number of hours many employers schedule their employees that just isn't the case.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
Last edited by rampaging-poet on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Because the minimum wage is always $0.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

What is the probability that I'll be arrested if I tell the IRS that I make more money than I actually do?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Seeing how that means you pay MORE TAXES as opposed to less . . probably pretty slim? O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote:Seeing how that means you pay MORE TAXES as opposed to less . . probably pretty slim? O.o
The issue here is that the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) has an income floor.

If you make slightly more than the federal poverty level then the premiums are capped at 2% of your net income, with federal tax credits making up the difference. Deductibles are reduced, as well.

If you make less than the federal poverty level, you have to pay full price (which would be a third or more of your total income) with absurdly huge deductibles on top of that, which make the insurance worthless anyway.

This is obviously problematic.

My current method of simply not paying my doctors and hanging up on collection agencies when they call is working fine so I technically don't need insurance, but it's nice to have.

If I declare a higher net income and pay the tax difference out of pocket I'd qualify for rather huge subsidies.

My other alternative would be to find a woman willing to have unprotected sex with me and wait nine months, at which time I'd qualify for medicaid. But that nine more months of being uninsured. And, you know, the responsibility of taking care of a baby for the next 18 years.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I had no idea that obamacare worked that wrong . .
Why do people who have less money have to pay more? x.x
What the fuck is wrong with people over there?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote:I had no idea that obamacare worked that wrong . .
There was a provision requiring that states expand medicaid to cover everyone below the poverty line. The assumption was, I believe, that would be sufficient since medicaid coverage would be even cheaper than subsidized private insurance. It was still stupid to put in the income floor. I have no fucking clue why they did that. It created a huge vulnerability that shouldn't have been there. They just assumed that everyone who qualified for medicare under the new rules would get it.

The problem is that many states haven't implemented the new Medicaid rules, don't have to, and aren't planning to.

Logially, if they were going to rely on something like this they should have expanded Medicare instead, which is a purely federal program that doesn't rely on State implementation. But they were idiots, as I said.

Of course, the smartest thing would have been to just expand Medicare to cover everyone and get rid of Medicaid as redundant instead of trying to subsidizing private insurance.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Stahlseele wrote:I had no idea that obamacare worked that wrong . .
Ninja'd, but originally, the ACA required each state to extend Medicaid eligibility to people at or below the poverty line, and gave everyone above the poverty line federal tax credits and other benefits (diminishing as you move further and further away from the poverty line). When the Supreme Court ruled on the ACA, they struck down the mandatory Medicaid expansion and left the decision of whether or not to expand Medicaid up to each state individually. About half the states chose not to (because Republicans stopped it), and in those states there exists a coverage gap. People below the poverty line do not qualify for Medicaid and do not qualify for federal subsidies.

Hyzmarca is apparently one of the millions of people in that coverage gap. The Supreme Court and his state government have fucked him.
Hyzmarca wrote:What is the probability that I'll be arrested if I tell the IRS that I make more money than I actually do?
I can't say what the probability of being caught or charged is, but it almost certainly still qualifies as tax evasion. If you didn't stand to gain financially by over reporting your income, you wouldn't be considering doing it. And intentionally reporting false information to the IRS for the purposes of financial gain sounds very much like tax evasion.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate the fact that hyzmarca could save money on his taxes by pretending to be wealthier than he actually is. If there is any line left between satire and reality, I can't find it.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Just a minor correction: the Medicaid expansion is to cover people who make up to 138% of the poverty line. Medicaid coverage varies from state to state, but many states didn't even cover income up to the poverty line before (I think in Washington, for example, you were eligible for Medicaid if you made less than 75% of the poverty level).
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

And in politically shitty states like North Carolina, adults without children or disabilities flat-out never qualify for Medicaid. Sounds like hyzmarca's stuck in a similar situation.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Maj wrote:Just a minor correction: the Medicaid expansion is to cover people who make up to 138% of the poverty line. Medicaid coverage varies from state to state, but many states didn't even cover income up to the poverty line before (I think in Washington, for example, you were eligible for Medicaid if you made less than 75% of the poverty level).
In Georgia low income alone is insufficient. There's family medicaid, for low income children, parents, and pregnant women. Then there's medicaid for the aged, blind, and disabled.

Which is why I mentioned having a kid as the other option for getting medical insurance. I figure that it would alter my lifestyle less than poking my eyes out would.

The medicaid expansion is for 138% but subsudies go down to 100%
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

That's true. I wasn't thinking about exceptions. Kids got it here, too. Moms didn't unless they were pregnant.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I had heard that in Virginia it's very hard to get it even if you have kids, on account that Virginia is a shithole chock-full of teabaggers and libertardians.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

There's no simple wikipedia entry for splines. I don't suppose anyone here has the mathematical know-how to explain the concept to someone who's already forgotten most high school math?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Well, the wikipedia entry is actually fairly straightforward. A spline is basically made up of pieces of many different polynomial functions. So for example, you might say:

From 0 =< x < 1, f(x) = x
From 1 =< x, f(x) = x^2

The basic idea is that sometimes you have a function which can be mapped to a fairly simple function over a short range, but is very complicated to try and develop the actual function for it over a long range.

Did you have a specific problem you were having trouble with?
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I'm not doing any actual math. I'm just trying to figure out the most entertaining possible definition of "reticulating splines."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Sailors making erotic ropework.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So, about how many actual 'witches' were killed in the European Witch Hunts? I'd just wikipedia it, but, wikipedia has been shown in this very forum to be biased on any subject that makes historical Christianity look bad. Rationalwiki is usually good but a few years ago some apologist got ahold of that page and some other related pages (like the Inquisition) and I don't know how much has been scrubbed out. Aside from that, Google tends to be really inconsistent, giving me results over the centuries from tens of thousands to millions -- the latter of which seems ridiculous.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I was under the impression that the witch trials were less about "purging the brides of Satan" and more about "getting rid of nagging women legally"...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

No one has really accurate numbers, but if you tally up the surviving records it's supposed to be like ~40k. The most realistic guesstimate I've ever found was 40,000-50,000 (The Witch Hunt in Early Modern Europe). Most of the inflated numbers come from very shoddy research like Margaret Murray's The Witch-Cult in Western Europe.

As for the reason for the witch trials...there was definitely some genuine religious hysteria there, and there were definite learned debates by civil and religious authorities about it, and there were without a doubt some people that made accusations of witchcraft solely for personal gain. Trying to find out where batshit craziness and fanaticism end and personal motives begin is splitting some very fine hairs indeed...none of which is in any way new. Right back into the Middle Ages you had political figures throwing around charges of sorcery and heresy at their rivals on very thin pretexts. Anyone interested in that, there's a very good book by Edward Peters called The Magician, The Witch, and the Law.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »