Shadowrun 4e newbie questions

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Well, technically, you would have to play a child to be able to use it.
Seeing how YOUR CHARACTERS PARENTS would have to have had the bio/gene-ware to be able to pass it down to you . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Stahlseele wrote:Well, technically, you would have to play a child to be able to use it.
Seeing how YOUR CHARACTERS PARENTS would have to have had the bio/gene-ware to be able to pass it down to you . .
That is not actually how transgenics works.

-Username17
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Stahlseele wrote:Well, technically, you would have to play a child to be able to use it.
Huh? Not shure if I get what you are saying.
Firstly even if the text of the qualitiy says you get it from your parents. The Gen-Mod chapter later on talks about Designer-Babys.

But even if we said, your parents need the modification, Gen-Mods are in use for 30 years (according to my german version...).
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

FrankTrollman wrote:
That is not actually how transgenics works.

-Username17
*nods*
i was getting it mixed up with genetic heritage i'm afraid . . my bad <.<;,
Huh? Not shure if I get what you are saying.
Firstly even if the text of the qualitiy says you get it from your parents. The Gen-Mod chapter later on talks about Designer-Babys.

But even if we said, your parents need the modification, Gen-Mods are in use for 30 years (according to my german version...).
30 Years? I had thoght it to be less O.o
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The first genetically tampered stuff was coming online during Shadowtech, but were too young for player characters to have (save for transplants in the form of bioware). That was the early 50s, so transgenics had to have been being done in the 2040s or earlier.

-Username17
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

My Char. has an internal Commlink (in his Cyber Hand), in the Commlink is an SIM-Module.

Can I send the Information directly to my brain? Or do I need Cyber-Eyes/Googles/Contact Lenses?
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

My understanding is that your character would still need cybereyes/goggles/contact lenses/ear buds to utilize his commlink. Technically it isn't implanted if it's taking a slot in a cyberhand as it doesn't reduce essence.
Last edited by Wesley Street on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Un the other hand*snickers*, the hand is directly wired into your brain allready . . But that will probably limit your reception to tactile stuff.
Under SR3, you had the option of getting a seperate DNI for 0,1 Essence for exactly this reason . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Korwin wrote:My Char. has an internal Commlink (in his Cyber Hand), in the Commlink is an SIM-Module.

Can I send the Information directly to my brain? Or do I need Cyber-Eyes/Googles/Contact Lenses?
With "Ends of The Matrix" rules: Yes you can send info straight into your brain, but it'll be unencrypted. Also, because your commlink is providing the wireless DNI you'll be vulnerable to a Seize Network action from just about anywhere. You probably want a trode net or nanopaste so that you can send encrypted info to that up on your head, and then they'll provide the DNI with a very low signal rating. It'll be messed up by jamming (and then your commlink will have to route around them), but as long as you're not being jammed then your network will be pretty safe against listening and against seizing. Additionally, information being sent straight into your brain is disorienting even though it's possible. You probably want your matrix info routed through your Displaylink enabled eyeware (visual) or through your earbuds (auditory).

Without EotM: Yeah, you can still send info straight into your brain wirelessly. How does it work and what are the downsides? I don't know. I also don't care. But I know that it's possible, because that's how a standard SimModule works even when the commlink isn't internal.

Either Way: You'll still want to have goggles and earbuds for the bonuses to perception, smartgun system, vision magnification, alternate vision types, sound filtration, and so on.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Question: Can you gain Metamagic without being an initiate?
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lokathor wrote:Question: Can you gain Metamagic without being an initiate?
Yes. Most of the ways of doing that are stupid though.

-Username17
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Also note that several Metamagics are based on your "initiate grade", which means that non-initiates gain no benefit from those even if they had them.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I had a few questions.

Can I detect someone hiding with invisibility spells using astral perception (by sensing the mana signature of the spell)?

Can an adept with the Astral Perception power become dual natured and punch the astral body of a mage?

Since the auras of living and magical things show up in astral space without a roll, does this mean I autodetect the presence and general location of potential ambushers through astral perception?

What roll would you use to hide yourself or your traces on the astral?
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread, but I had a few questions.

Can I detect someone hiding with invisibility spells using astral perception (by sensing the mana signature of the spell)?
Yes.
Can an adept with the Astral Perception power become dual natured and punch the astral body of a mage?
Yes.
Since the auras of living and magical things show up in astral space without a roll, does this mean I autodetect the presence and general location of potential ambushers through astral perception?
No. Just because something is physically visible "without a roll" doesn't mean you actually notice it before it gets the drop on you. You still have to make Assensing versus Stealth.
What roll would you use to hide yourself or your traces on the astral?
Infiltration or Shadowing for the most part. Note that if you're projecting, your Logic is used in place of Agility.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Also, stuff you can't see through in meatspace are also apaque on the astral.
So if people hide behind the corner of a wall, about 50cm back, you won't be seeing them either.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

In SR4, outside of Great Form spirits using levitate and other summoning shenanigans, what is the largest thing you can lift with magic and with what spell?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

If you just want to lift things, then Mass Animate or Shape Material would be able to lift everything in a sphere measured with a Magic attribute dependent meters in radius. So your theoretical maximum lift is in the thousands of tonnes.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

What if I wanted to raise it into the air? Can Shape Material exert a force on other objects; like shaping a massive metal hand to pick up a rock, or even moving a wooden sphere with a metal item inside?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

that's more or less exactly what animate is supposed to do.
it makes stuff move in ways that stuff would move under the excertion of force.
spherical things roll, articulate things bend and stretch etc.

most GM's would probably call shenanigan if you animated a plywood hand and had it lift a car or something like that . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

So, my DM has gone nuts and wants to play 300BP game. Which archetypes it hoses the worst?
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

A lot depends on any caps they're putting on the chargen subcategories like Attribute and Resource BP allotment. For some dumb ass reason lots of GMs like to reduce the amount you're allowed to spend on attributes in such schemes, which really bones the hell out of humans if the GM is also the type that likes to punish you for having 1s in Body, Will or Strength.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

He didn't put any caps.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Mundanes.
Magic users get away with it because they can be versatile through spirits and spells and don't need to spend points on money or on attributes as much.

Magic is simply the most bang for the buck in terms of up front cost.
Same with the Orks being the Master-Race in that regard under SR4.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Well, the thing with arbitrarily lopping BP straight off the top is that it means that most builds are just going to throw all but the most necessary skills overboard straight away. Having a specialization that requires high skill investments--for example, being a hacker at a table where the GM doesn't let high rating Agents do anything and everything*--quickly disqualifies the PC from being well-rounded in a reduced BP scheme, since attributes are just way more generically useful than skills. So, really, generalist Street Samurai come off surprisingly well, since their whole gig is grabbing a couple ones in skills you can't default followed by cramming all the attribute boosters and sense ware they can into their essence score. Magicians also do OK with the right spell load out--there's some really good skills they want, but it's possible for them to work around dump statting physical attributes by turning into an invisible gorilla.

*Honestly, it'd be all but impossible for us to predict how the Matrix based archetypes "work" without playing a few sessions with your GM, and even then things would be subject to change because that's just how life is when a subsystem doesn't make even a lick of sense.
bears fall, everyone dies
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

How many Lonestar can you fit in an Ares Citymaster? Are they expected to fire through the armored windows, or do they poor out like it's a clown car?

When you have multiple people using suppressive fire on the same area, do the people in that area suffer a cumulative penalty as they attempt to dodge each set of bullets?

ADDENDUM: Does the scatter on a grenade keep it from being shot into a truck to annihilate the passengers?
Last edited by virgil on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!