Little help...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Little help...

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Is there a list of non-core classes that make the grade? And explanations for how to make them do so if it's not obvious?

I know about the Beguiler, which needs no explanation. I also read good things about the Dread Necromancer, though I don't know any of the details, like how the 'unlimited healing' thing works. Any others people have good experiences with?
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

The obvious ones are:

Archivist - Learns any divine spell
Artificer - Can make any magic item
Favoured Soul - Spontaneous Cleric
Psion - Best psionic class

There are others, depending on how broadly you define 'make the grade'.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Juton wrote:The obvious ones are:

Archivist - Learns any divine spell
Artificer - Can make any magic item
Favoured Soul - Spontaneous Cleric
Psion - Best psionic class

There are others, depending on how broadly you define 'make the grade'.
Ummm, no. The only thing on that list that makes the grade is the archivist. The reasons are quite simple: the artificer and favoured soul suck for protracted game periods before winning the game in every orifice (for the artificer) or becoming somewhat marginally decent (for the favoured soul). As far as the psion goes, it uses a system which is basically 'I can't believe it's not magic' to not achieve anything particularly interesting or meaningfully different to magic. In fact, only something like a half-dozen unique psionic effects have been identified ever, which means that as a psion, you're playing a weird form of sorcerer.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Beguiler, Warblade, Dread Necro (take something like Tomb Tainted Soul or something that gets you "healed by negative energy spells" and touch yourself constantly) are the big three.

Artificer is shit until about level 7, where it breaks the game in a myriad ways. Archivist is a Cleric with a shittier base chassis, but learns divine spells like Wizards (i.e. if you want a bullshit spell early, you can get it if it's on the Pantysniffer Domain or something.) Favoured Soul is to the Cleric as the Sorceror is to the Wizard: a hit in power, but can still get by. I have no fucking clue about Psionics.

The Binder has some neat tricks, and is basically a more fanciful melee guy until you get Karsus. Those sort of make the grade. If you can slog through Magic of Blue, the Totemist is worth it if you go melee and make a charge build or find a way to get precision damage and use Manticore Belt (making you a worse flask-thrower Rogue).
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

There's a reasonably coherent discussion on what "the grade" entails on the D&D Wiki.

-Username17
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Mister_Sinister wrote: As far as the psion goes, it uses a system which is basically 'I can't believe it's not magic' to not achieve anything particularly interesting or meaningfully different to magic. In fact, only something like a half-dozen unique psionic effects have been identified ever, which means that as a psion, you're playing a weird form of sorcerer.
Some of the magic-equivalent psionic effects are WAY better, though. Compare Remote Viewing to Scry, for example. Remote Viewing is better in almost every imaginable way. The same goes triple for the psionic version of Clairvoyance/Clairaudience.

And last I looked, Sorcerer is listed under the "Wizard" balance level. So if you think a psion is a "weird form of sorcerer", then it makes the grade. I greatly prefer playing a psion to a sorcerer, as they don't have the stupid-assed gimped progression, use a better casting stat (I like skill points), and actually have bonus feats. Also, psicrystals are cooler than familiars.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Sorcerers can be almost as good as a wizard or shockingly useless, depending on the spells they choose to learn. Psions are sorcerers with a shittier spells-per-day system, (to me at least) bizarre flavor, and a smaller variety of spells.

As long as a campaign has a lot of time to scribe scrolls and such, archivists are not bad.

The themed spellcasters are generally useful and capable of doing level-appropriate stuff on a regular basis without getting wacked out power. They are also easy to play.

The warblade is a wotc martial class that, somehow, does not suck. It's still not great, mind you, but it's lots better than most fighters and barbarians.

Psychic warriors are essentially less powerful clerics.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

PhaedrusXY wrote: And last I looked, Sorcerer is listed under the "Wizard" balance level. So if you think a psion is a "weird form of sorcerer", then it makes the grade.
Oh god -- we had a rather tedious "debate" a while back on this very topic.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Fuck, I don't want to hear the psionics rants. The subsystem sucks, but there are reasons to use multiple powers. There are rarely, if ever, reasons to cast with less than max augmentation. Except for utility spells, or spells that will not augment evenly at your current level.