Vampire Rules Question

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Vampire Rules Question

Post by virgil »

For a D&D vampire, ignoring the potential invulnerability, does just giving yourself a couple very large necklaces of fresh garlic give enough of a scent to keep vampires from getting close to you? If so, this seems like a method statistically equal to presenting a holy symbol or mirror without having to spend a standard action every round, making a fight with them much easier.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Based on the RAW, garlic only works when you "lace an area" with it. A wreath probably should keep them 5' away, but by the RAW it doesn't.

Honestly, though, vampires are pretty much the dumbest puzzle monsters in D&D. "Can't cross running water"? They are actually immune to any kind of movement into someone else's property without invitation. I can imagine all kinds of crazy abuses for this. Even more stupidly, a wizard with an undead spider familiar looses it when she becomes a vamire--it runs away in terror and is replaced by a living rat or bat.

By vampire logic, D&D elves should be "poisoned" by iron and "driven away" by rowan and gift socks.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

What does 'lace an area' even mean?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

virgileso wrote:What does 'lace an area' even mean?
No one knows!

The D&D Vampire rules aren't rules, so much as rants. I strongly suggest ignoring them completely and just using the ones from the Tome of Necromancy.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The problem is that I already used the stats written in the adventure against the party, and it would be 'slightly' noticeable when they got their rematch against the same vampires and didn't have to face shapeshifting, swarm-summoning, dominating, fast-healing, and damage reduction.

I'll tweak the weird vulnerabilities to what the Tome says, at the least, to keep adjudication understandable; especially since the party has yet to actually use any aside from silver against the DR.
Last edited by virgil on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Another question that involves both the standard vampire and the Tome vampire. Can a vampire with access to the summon monster spells in some fashion fill all of their feeding needs? The celestial/fiendish template automatically makes an animal sentient, so their blood should still be good.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

virgileso wrote:The problem is that I already used the stats written in the adventure against the party, and it would be 'slightly' noticeable when they got their rematch against the same vampires and didn't have to face shapeshifting, swarm-summoning, dominating, fast-healing, and damage reduction.
So, a vampire wizard.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

virgileso wrote:Another question that involves both the standard vampire and the Tome vampire. Can a vampire with access to the summon monster spells in some fashion fill all of their feeding needs? The celestial/fiendish template automatically makes an animal sentient, so their blood should still be good.
From how I'm reading the templates: Tome Vampire should be able to get their sustenance from the celestial and fiendish summons, Core Vampire can actually feed on ordinary rabbits all day, since there doesn't seem to be the "intelligent" requirement.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Does sunbeam, which does special damage against undead harmed by bright light, harm vampires? I ask this because I don't know of any creature harmed by bright light, and this not working against vampires pisses off my players.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

virgileso wrote:Does sunbeam, which does special damage against undead harmed by bright light, harm vampires? I ask this because I don't know of any creature harmed by bright light, and this not working against vampires pisses off my players.
I'd say yes, but it depends on how you wish to assume that sunlight damages vampires. Are you taking the point of view that it's the composition of the light that damages vampires? If so, then yes. If you feel that vampires taking damage from sunlight is derived from being exposed to the sun (a mystical source of damage) then no, you can't replicate sunlight.

If memory serves, Vampire in White Wolf took the second option. A particularly bright light might *fake* the vampire into thinking it was exposed to the sun and have it react accordingly.

However, vampires are supposed to be killed as a matter of routine in D&D, so I imagine that sunbeam would effect vamps.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

If sunbeam does not affect vampires as though they were creatures "specifically vulnerable to bright light," it doesn't affect any creature in any D&D published material ever. Because seriously. Just my two coppers.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I thought sunbeam mystically recreated the mystical connection of the sun?

I would read sunbeam as damaging even undead who merely have debuffs for being in normal sunlight.

-Crissa
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Crissa wrote:I thought sunbeam mystically recreated the mystical connection of the sun?

I would read sunbeam as damaging even undead who merely have debuffs for being in normal sunlight.

-Crissa
I haven't read it, but was going by what subby posted.

Regardless, considering this is a game that lets you fly, raise the dead, and shoot fireballs from your ass, I'd say that the spell recreates sunlight.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, you can fly, raise the dead, and shoot fireballs in world of darkness, too.

-Crissa