Tome WLD, thing game. IRC/IM with maps

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Tome WLD, thing game. IRC/IM with maps

Post by Kaelik »

Going to do Tome level Game of WLD, with IM with maps or similar.

Basically, everyone looks at player versions of maps for the thing, and runs Tome characters.

Just thought I'd give a heads up to the people I actually like here, and Carthaz.

Be using my Tome Errata, what there is of it. And of course, any community stuff you want to throw in.

Link to Thread with more info
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

How are we generating ability scores?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Caliborn wrote:How are we generating ability scores?
Through some sort of PB.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I...um...okay. Do you...have you decided on the amount as of yet?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Caliborn wrote:I...um...okay. Do you...have you decided on the amount as of yet?
That's low on my list of priorities, after "When do you have time to play" and "What do you want to play?"

Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: Tome WLD, thing game. IRC/IM with maps

Post by Koumei »

Kaelik wrote:Just thought I'd give a heads up to the people I actually like here
And who is that? I was under the impression you didn't like anyone.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I'd be available pretty much anytime, I'd don't really run on a schedule.

I want to play a Deep Dwarf Fiendish Brute. Back-story basically being that he was captured by Mind Flayers or Fiends or whatever's appropriate to be cursed and altered into a monster to populate the dungeon, but something went a little off when they were altering him him so that he only has partial transformation and memory loss, and his personality and alignment haven't really changed. I figured he wouldn't remember how he got into the dungeon, how he came to be this monstrosity or really much about who he is at first, but would regain memory as the adventure progressed and have most of it back by level four; which is when he would have gained enough control over his powers that he could turn back into his old self(by taking Harmless Form as a bonus Fiend Feat).

That's the basic jist of the character, I could supply more details of his pre-abduction life if you want.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Re: Tome WLD, thing game. IRC/IM with maps

Post by Kaelik »

Koumei wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Just thought I'd give a heads up to the people I actually like here
And who is that? I was under the impression you didn't like anyone.
:saywhat:

Caliborn, that's good, I don't want to generate character stats until I've got a good pool of players, because I was thinking about doing Frank's "Everyone rolls, and you can all use anyone else's roll" thing, just to see how it goes, and maybe let people not have to overly dump stat.

That said, the PB if it is PB will be something like 32-34.

Also, re: DeepDwarf: :saywhat:

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Is Deep Dwarf a no-no? I figured an actuall dweller of the underdark would be more likely to be captured for use in a lightless underground dungeon with no accessible exit; also it's more optimized. :hehehe:
Last edited by Calibron on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Also, as to what we may use to communicate during the game, if everyone playing has a microphone or headset we could use Skype so we'd actually be able to talk to each other.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Yeah it's called "HAHA, I get to be better at everything dwarfy than a dwarf, and my penalty is to be penalized in a situation that will occur zero times."

So yeah, if you want to be a Dwarf, It's going to be more than Sunlight and Daylight. Sufficient Touches are going to dazzle you.

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

The presence or absence of torches all throughout the dungeon hinges on whether or not I play a Deep Dwarf? Regardless, I think I'll stick with Deep Dwarf if your previous post wasn't actually your way of saying no; the original justification stops making sense, but wanting hardier stock to withstand the alteration process easily replaces it.
Last edited by Calibron on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Caliborn wrote:The presence or absence of torches all throughout the dungeon hinges on whether or not I play a Deep Dwarf? Regardless, I think I'll stick with Deep Dwarf if your previous post wasn't actually your way of saying no; the original justification stops making sense, but wanting hardier stock to withstand the alteration process easily replaces it.
No, the torches will be whereever they are regardless. But if you walk into a room with light 20 torches on the walls, it will be counted as "Sunlight" for the purposes of you being dazzled.

Because "I'm weak to red trolley cars, but gain a +1 bonus when fighting anything that isn't a red trolley car" is an asshole move, so in return for your free 30ft of vision over everyone else, and +1 to most saves, you are going to have to be dazzled in too much torchlight.

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Hmm.

What sort of levels will this game be starting at?

Is it a run of all the way through? or are you starting specific sections at different levels?

I've always thought that doing the WLD from start to finish was not a good idea for the first time around. At least not with people who are actually sick of playing from level 1+ in a game.

However, I've never used this. Losing the maps package, and not finding it, or a replacement, has been one of the main reasons why I haven't used this idea.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Oh, okay, that's cool, and a perfectly fair thing to do.

The thread at BG mentions that the game starts at level 1.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Yes. Level 1. That's when WLD starts.

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yep, been reading that, and looking at the maps.

I think that I'll be able to run this with the maps like this.

I might want to invest in a mini laptop for word processing, and non-intensive graphics related applications, like looking at PDFs. I hate having to carry lots of books anywhere to do things, and a lot of people have access to laptops or PCs and USB keys.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You know, unless I fall into the category of being someone you hate, I'm kind of tempted to join it, just because I have nothing better to do in that timeslot. Well I could sleep then, but apparently that's not a happening thing.

And as a WLD thing, I don't even need to get attached to the character so if they die to a petting zoo because that's a fierce battle for level 1 characters, that can just be something to laugh about.

As for character, perhaps an Empusa Overlord, having been booted out for being too much of a low-level whiny bitch and told "Come back to the Netherworld once you actually do something worth caring about. Oh, and take this small device, it does absolutely nothing for you but lets us scry on your adventures so we can be entertained."

Or possibly a Yuan-Ti/Aranea Wizard, just to see how they measure up in Tome-level play. Possibly one who was born and raised in the dungeon itself, and was trained to fight the invaders of the dungeon (PCs), as they are powerful and dangerous and will change the way of life here... only to think "Really? I think I might join these invaders then, rather than be a wandering monster."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Yep, been reading that, and looking at the maps.

I think that I'll be able to run this with the maps like this.
This part has nothing to do with this thread. If you want to run it, make your own thread.
Judging__Eagle wrote:I might want to invest in a mini laptop for word processing, and non-intensive graphics related applications, like looking at PDFs. I hate having to carry lots of books anywhere to do things, and a lot of people have access to laptops or PCs and USB keys.
This part has nothing to do with anything. You are just typing words to type words here.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I haven't played in a game in ages and I'm jonesing for a game. I'm available pretty much most of the time. Nights EST are especially viable.

edit: Class choice would probably be an aasimar fighter or a jester (race udnecided)
Last edited by Cynic on Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

1) Aasimar Fighter, you saw my nerfs to Large/Huge right?

2) Koumei, I don't suppose you want to be any races that have less than two pages worth or rule text I have to read before I can even figure out what I'm okaying?

1) Areana is a no no for sure, until after level 3 at least. See my guidelines in the other thread, casting Level 2 spells at level 1 violates my one explicit rule of optimization, especially at will in addition to having a class.

Emprusa is probably okay, depending on which one you wanted of the types, and if you were planning any racial feats, I'll have to actually read them and get back to you.

Overlord is probably a really bad choice. I hate minions in the first place, and in the second place, summoning abilities are supposed to summon people and then not dismiss them and then have them attack the shit out of you as soon as the duration ends.

EDIT: Overlord summons are not minion armies. Overlord is okay, I think, will read it more in depth.

So any classes without minion armies? Yuan-ti Wizard, I don't know, I'll get back to you on that after I find out about Yuan Ti.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Fair enough. I could just play a "Right elf for the right job" Elf Wizard if that makes it easier all round.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Koumei wrote:Fair enough. I could just play a "Right elf for the right job" Elf Wizard if that makes it easier all round.
Yeah, that would probably be easier. Any of your other classes without minions would be fine.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I remember the errata but it didn't come to mind immediately. But I changed my mind. I've been meaning to give the meteor ninja (at later levels) a spin for ages.

So I think I want do somethign along the lines of True Fiend into meteor ninja. I know that's a little less optimized than normal but I want to give it a go.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I'm tentatively interested in this. Not sure what I want to play yet, but interested.