Questions while away from books

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Questions while away from books

Post by Prak »

Yeah, it's happened to probably most of us... bored, killing time by thinking gaming, and need an answer from a book that is no where around.

Anyone able to eyeball an Ice Necromental ECL (standard, non-tome game) for me?
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Yes.

Type to Augmented Undead, lose Class Levels, all HD converted to d12s, +2 Natural Armor, Energy Drain (1lvl) based on HD, Fast Healing 3 when near native element, Int and Cha to 1, Wis to 10, no Con, +1 CR.
Ravyn Dawnbringer
1st Level

Post by Ravyn Dawnbringer »

The EL of the ice elemental doesn't change, though I can't for the life of me find it.
God of Awesome wrote: This is no different then the fact that my soul is that of a majestic nuclear space whale.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Necromental the Libris Mortis template? They're non-sentient (Int 1, Cha 1).
Besides that, the template doesn't really do anything besides giving out Energy Drain and Create Spawn (Fast Healing 3, Great Fortitude, no Con and +2 nat. armor, THAT'S IT).

Goddamit double ninja'd.

The Ice elemental, let's see the Small one. CR 1, 2 HD, level-appropriate slam +1d4 cold, relatively low attributes, decentish Fort, negative Ref, Will +0, initiates bullrush w/o provoking, creatures hit with slam or hinning with natural weapons make a Fort save vs. a -4 Dex penalty, [Cold] subtype, elemental traits.

Yeah I'd say ECL 2 (none listed). Medium ones 3-4.

Is that what you were interested in?
Last edited by schpeelah on Wed May 05, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, thanks guys. And I forgot that the biggest obstacle for this character idea was the Int. I'll work something out for that later.

I named the thread generically because I figured it could be ongoing.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Character idea? :argh:

...Although, given the kind of games you run, that shouldn't be a huge surprise.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

oh hell, you haven't seen how insane some of the opposition can get when I'm running. but yes, character idea. "Living" chunk of ice with human remains in it. What's the issue?

hm... ok, so I either need a way to tack on a good 9 or so Int without raising ECL, or a way to take it down to a mindless undead (which is then a valid target for Awaken Undead)

any ideas?
Last edited by Prak on Thu May 06, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Prak_Anima wrote:any ideas?
Make up stats 'yourself'.

You already know that the type is going to be Undead (augmented Elemental, Cold) or Elemental (augmented Undead, Cold). I'd go with the second, because its physical characteristics sound more elemental than undead, and because the type is easier to deal with. Then they should probably get UTTERCOLD ASSAULT NECROMANCER-type powers.

Option 1: Treat as a monster (but playable)
Natural armor: You get a natural armor bonus equal to your level +3. You can't wear normal armor because you're a fucking chunk of necromantic ice, not some kind of pretty ice sculpture (if you are some kind of pretty ice sculpture, you get to wear armor but your natural armor bonus is only +4).
Slam: You have a slam natural attack.
Frostbound: Cold damage heals you just like negative energy damage (this might be too good).
Touch of the void: Your melee attacks deal additional cold and negative energy damage (equal to Con mod, equal to level/2, 1d6/every 3 levels alternating type, etc).
Invocation of the void: As a full-round action, you deal 1d6 cold damage per level and 1d6 negative energy damage per level in a 15' radius burst. Creatures must make a fortitude saving throw or take one negative level and become frostbitten (or treat as fatigued as per the spheres).
Icewalker: Same as the white dragon's ability.
Howl of the winter storm: Once per day you can use control weather, but only to make it colder and windier.
--> call it ECL 6 or 8, add or take away abilities as you like to make it fit.

Option 2: build it like a Tome of Fiends character
It's still an Elemental (augmented Undead), but now it's just a Conduit of the Lower Planes with spheres in the following order: Cold, Death, Frostbite, Voracity.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Heh, I'd totally do that, except I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fly in this game... though on the other hand, the GM was particularly generous with treasure, so bringing in this character I get an extra 500,000g, so... I don't know. I'm actually thinking of just taking Bone Creature and Cold Element Creature and putting them on a human to get the appearance and such. I like the idea of swarm shifter, but I don't know if I'll tack that on, it's hard enough to think of a class that won't be crippled by the ECL (and I mean ECL, I'm hesitant to bring in Tome sensibilities, both because I don't know the play style of the group, and because the GM isn't particularly experienced.)