Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Pixels wrote:
Chamomile wrote:
Prak wrote:And yet it's perfectly legal to, say, pay one category of people less than another for the same work,
No, actually, it isn't. If you can prove that you're being paid less for no other reason than that you are a woman, you can sue for that. Trouble is, how are you supposed to prove that? Also: Sexism, not racism.
Yes, actually, it is, with a few exceptions. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment ... ted_States. Your example of discrimination based on sex is a protected category, but paying people who have annoying laughs less would be perfectly fine.
Okay, so technically you're correct, but Prak is clearly referring here to women, who are a protected class.
Prak wrote:Also, I was talking about the use of [x]ism to mean "Institutionalized [X]ism," in general, not specifically racism.
I'm specifically using racism to point out that by the Tumblr definition there is no racism in America, a clearly ridiculous assertion which therefore invalidates the Tumblr definition.
If you want, and give me a bit, I can come up with other cases where Castle Doctrine type laws only protect white men.
I don't need you to come up with cases where the Castle Doctrine effectively only protects white people, Prak. I need you come up with cases where the Castle Doctrine explicitly only protects white people. If there is no actual law or legal precedent, meaning the actual explicit word of a judge on a case and not just what we can infer about why he ruled the way he did, then there is no racism in United States law itself. There is only racism in the people who enforce United States law, and who ignore the law in subtle or in some cases blatant ways to serve their repugnant ideologies. But that still has nothing to do with what is actually the law, because the law is what's written, not what's done. Except the Tumblr definition of racism says that it doesn't count as racism unless it is a system of oppression in law and attitude which means that only explicit legal oppression of certain races qualifies as racism. And that is stupid.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Ancient History wrote:Image
Behold the Beholder's Beholder.

That's pretty bad-ass.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

What colour is this dress?

Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Well, it's obviously not black, that's for sure.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

ishy wrote:What colour is this dress?
[/img]
Looks to be white (off-white/pearl/cream/ivory etc) with gold (yellow/flaxen/amber etc) trim. But also looks to be a photo taken with less-than-clear lighting conditions, so I suspect internet trickery.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Definitely a dark brown and blue.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I'm amazed anyone on the internet hasn't seen that yet. I've een bombarded with that dress for days. xkcd covered this. It's a white-balance illusion.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I now know why women take so long to get dressed, their clothes change color all the goddamn time.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
ishy wrote:What colour is this dress?
[/img]
Looks to be white (off-white/pearl/cream/ivory etc) with gold (yellow/flaxen/amber etc) trim. But also looks to be a photo taken with less-than-clear lighting conditions, so I suspect internet trickery.
The trickery part of the photo is that different people see different colours.
My friend saw the dress as black / blue, I saw it as white/golden.
Now that the sun is down, I see it as gold and blueish white.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I have yet to see it as anything but blue and black.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

The issue is that people apparently adjust for lighting in two different directions. Here's the effect with color balance pushed to unambiguous in either, taken from the first hit on Google.
I can see how someone could be unsure if the lighter parts might be light blue or not. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone looks at the dark yellow parts and conclude they are black.
Last edited by schpeelah on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

They look clearly black to me. So I suggest different brains/eyes.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Just looking at it through a different computer screen's graphical vagaries can tip the balance from one state to the other, so opinions through the internet are unhelpful. It's white/gold on my desktop and blue/black on my laptop.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Just looking at it through a different computer screen's graphical vagaries can tip the balance from one state to the other, so opinions through the internet are unhelpful. It's white/gold on my desktop and blue/black on my laptop.
Or different computers I guess. I notice now that you mention it that it is less black on one of my monitors than the other, but yes I see it as clearly black, so I can understand why this might be an issue.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I've looked at the dress on a number of computers, and phones now and I always see blue / black. I didn't even know it was a question of which color it was until after the third tiem I'd seen the dress. I first thought it was another shitty advertisement on my FB and simply scrolled past it until a friend and then my little sister started shitting bricks when I told them that it was clarly a blue and black/brown dress.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Spooky. I was going to say this was the first time I'd seen it as white and gold, but when I scrolled back up it was back to black and blue.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Fucking dress gets half a dozen posts, but no mention of the Duraplast Decepticon? Fucking heathens, the lot of you.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

erik
King

Post by erik »

Why are all those water pokemon white and gold?
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Ancient History wrote:Image
I know that car from somewhere ...

I can't put my finger on it.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Ancient History wrote:Fucking dress gets half a dozen posts, but no mention of the Duraplast Decepticon? Fucking heathens, the lot of you.
If it makes you feel better, I read "Buddhism in the American Civil War" as a Krugman article and only caught on when I saw the three hashes in the end.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

That's terrifying. Have some rabbits.