SR4 Matrix: WHARGARBL

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Kot wrote:There's an easy way to cut on dice-rolling. Just buy hits for all non-NPC actions, like programs, agents, nodes, and such. Only when it's a Spider, or black IC, rolls come into play. And only if you're comfortable with the possibility of rolling a one-hit-kill with an attack program for the IC/Spider in question. If not, just buy hits. That way the only rolls you'll see are your player's.
That means that the NPCs will literally never suceed, because they need to get VERY lucky to do anything. Buying hits means thy are slightly unlucky all the time.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

If Aaron Pavao or Jennifer Harding even look at another set of matrix rules, I will not pay a solitary dime for it.
Sorry for the necro, but I'm pretty sure Aaron Pavao wrote the SR5 Matrix Rules. Like...all of 'em. Your thoughts?
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Schwarzkopf wrote:
If Aaron Pavao or Jennifer Harding even look at another set of matrix rules, I will not pay a solitary dime for it.
Sorry for the necro, but I'm pretty sure Aaron Pavao wrote the SR5 Matrix Rules. Like...all of 'em. Your thoughts?
Yes. Yes he did.

Also, under no circumstances am I going to give Catalyst any money, so my embargo on Aaron Pavao is totally safe. But the SR5 rules are basically even worse than that shit in Unwired. Aaron Pavao cannot comprehend complex systems and has no business writing one.

He flippantly decided that he could totally handle the dropout problems of SR4 Matrix by going to a "carrot model." And I think he did that to spite me personally. Like for real, we had an argument back in the day where I supported a "stick model" approach, and I think all that horse shit about wireless bonuses for equipment is actually Aaron trying to prove me wrong. And failing. Badly.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

This... this is why I play a street samurai every time.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

sigma999 wrote:This... this is why I play a street samurai every time.
Too bad your sword blade needs to be hooked to the matrix 100% of the time.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

TheFlatline wrote:
Can he hide the Access ID in the hilt? Or am I mixing up to the two (latest) terrible Matrix systems?
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Voss wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:
Can he hide the Access ID in the hilt? Or am I mixing up to the two (latest) terrible Matrix systems?
Your sword could be running silent, along with your wireless underpants and your bag of stealth RFID tags, with the icons changed to show giant purple dildoes. That would keep enemy hacker guessing as to what is actually your sword.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

FrankTrollman wrote:And I think he did that to spite me personally.
And I think you're giving yourself too much importance. It doesn't take a genius to realize that for people to accept to turn the "hackable" button on, you need either a carrot or a stick.

And while the carrot option of "people use wireless Matrix because it's awesome" is far more complicated to get mechanically right than the "people use wireless Matrix because otherwise they die", it sounds better to many people and it requires less changes on the universe.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Blade wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:And I think he did that to spite me personally.
And I think you're giving yourself too much importance.
I don't think I am. I can see the seeds of almost every single fuckup in the SR5 catastrofuck matrix rules in arguments I had with Aaron five years ago. It's pretty much exactly the system he told me that he could totally make when I told him that it couldn't actually work.

And it doesn't work for exactly the reasons I told him it wouldn't work. And it has the fig leaves made of fail that he said would totally fix the problems. And they don't. In pretty much exactly the way I said it wouldn't.

Basically, we discussed this system and now that we've stopped talking to each other, he had it published. I don't think that I'm giving myself too much credit or importance.

-Username17
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

If the guy was convinced that his system works, it makes sense he'd try to publish it, no matter what you said or didn't about it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Blade wrote:If the guy was convinced that his system works, it makes sense he'd try to publish it, no matter what you said or didn't about it.
The larger context being that he was at the time defending the SR4 system, claiming that it totally worked fine. And even when bludgeoned repeatedly with ways it didn't work, he retreated only to the the claim that it was easy to make work if you just made some assumptions. Everything knowing who its owner is, for example, is his answer to the Hackastack Agent Smith Army. That it is stupid and doesn't actually solve anything is something he was made aware of several years before SR5 actually got written.

-Username17
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

Blade wrote:If the guy was convinced that his system works, it makes sense he'd try to publish it, no matter what you said or didn't about it.
Aaron is an obnoxious and stupid oxygen thief. He's one of two people on Dumpshock I have on ignore.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

He did make a pretty cool chargen tool for SR4. Or at least host one. Anyway, his website was useful.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Orion wrote:He did make a pretty cool chargen tool for SR4. Or at least host one. Anyway, his website was useful.
Chummer, the one true tool to make SR4 playable, was made by Keith Rudolph.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Chummer, no Shadowrun edition is playable. Unless you consider consciously ignoring huge chunks of rules "playable".
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

silva wrote:Chummer, no Shadowrun edition is playable. Unless you consider consciously ignoring huge chunks of rules "playable".
There's a difference between "Aaaargh, rules are made of shit" and "Aaaargh, rules are made of shit, I couldn't even get past the chargen"
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I tried Chummer. Prefer a paper character sheet.
Heisenberg
Apprentice

Post by Heisenberg »

Orion wrote:He did make a pretty cool chargen tool for SR4. Or at least host one. Anyway, his website was useful.
Yes, it had knassir's stuff on it. And that stuff was the shit. Aaron did produce one or two useful, interesting, or fun things before he started worked professionally for catalyst. Then the avalanche of fail began.