To prevent Charisma from being a dump

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Prak_Anima wrote:POST
Koumei wrote:
  • Captain Carrot is the closest the Discworld gets to having a Paladin. He isn't just friendly and nice, he doesn't just have Charisma, he has Krisma. His charismatic power practically is D&D Diplomancy, which is beyond "the fighter who apparently gets the girl".
Hell, more than that, he's so nice, the girl thinks he's too good to be true, and that she should just slink off in the night so no one can ever get hurt (as bad as they conceivably could, anyway) and his charisma keeps her around. He's so charismatic, you do the thing that's right for you, even when you think it's absolutely wrong.
Caedrus wrote:Then which characters are getting laid? The Rogue? Nope, the Rogue needs Dexterity.
If you don't think dexterity is important in sex then you're doing something wrong. You can be big and strong and tough and have lots of stamina... but the rogue can do that thing with his tongue. and his fingers. and he doesn't literally rip the young lady's bodice off, he undoes it quickly, lays it aside and she doesn't need to go buy a new one. Oh, and there's this other thing he can do with his...
What stat is giving you the bonus to charming women? Willpower? Then what, is the Cleric the guy getting laid? Because that doesn't seem right.
This man got more pussy than you, I and probably the ten biggest "ladies men" of this forum would even know what to do with. combined. Hell, anyone of us could try and combine with him and we'd just bring him down.
RobbyPants wrote:Simple: don't tie it to one of the four stats. Make a feat for it, or as Koumei suggested, make it a class feature.
or, as she seemed to want to suggest, you find one that's cool with you and your buddies taking turns.

...and then you all knock each others' teeth out in the inevitable brawl over who pleases her more and the pretty girl of you party takes the party favour and shows her some new things...
Thank you. Just, thank you.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Murtak wrote:Charisma should be scrapped because no one is even sure what having a high charisma score means. It is a weird mixture of attractiveness, empathy, willpower, self-assuredness and "inner strength" (whatever that is supposed to mean). Intelligence vs Wisdom And Strength vs Constitution are already too confusing.

However if you want to stay with 3E and thus need to keep Charisma around, having it give healing surges, rerolls or something else to represent your heroic determination is not a bad idea.
Charisma is the ability to know the difference between yourself, and the world around you.

A box, has no charisma.

A public speaker, usually has quite a decent amount.

Charisma.... should give a floating bonus imo. Knowing the difference between yourself, and the world, is a very multi-faceted thing.

If you laugh like a madman, and leer and drool; even people who are able to be a danger to you, will..... re-consider their attempts to harm you and those with you.

If you realize that your enemy always fights the same damned way, you just, alter your methods slightly; and are now able to obviate their greatest advantages.

If you can understand that someone else, is not you, you can actually negotiate with them in an effective manner.

Every encounter, you can use your Cha bonus, as a bonus for one type of roll. You can use it as long as you want during that encounter; adding it to all rolls of that single type.

And seriously, most people don't realize that other people are not them. It's actually sort of distressing thought to have to dwell on. No one is like you, really.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

JE, it makes it sound you want Cha to boost everything.

Which would certainly make it not a dump stat....

clarify?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Exactly.

It's not a dump stat. It's what allows your player to actually realize that what they see, and what they know; is not what other people see, or know.

Charisma is how you get wisdom and intelligence to actually do anything useful. If you know everything; but don't realize that other people don't know what you know; that will limit your potential. If you can realize things that no one else can; but don't realize that no one else can; that will also limit your potential.

Without Cha; Int, and Wis, mean nothing.

Cha should be a boost to whatever you want it to be boosting; with the limitation, that it can only boost one thing at a time, ever. If you focus your thoughts on one thing, you're going to be performing it better.

Sometimes you fight offensively, and that's a bonus to hit; other times, you're just holding a line, or you're too physically/mentally exhausted to even move forward, so you focus on blocking and defense.

Of course; a full round action to "clear" your head, would allow a character to put their "focus" back in 'neutral'. Ready to be applied again to whatever challenge is about to occur.

The general rule being that 'focus' can apply to the following:

-Attack Rolls
-AC
-One type of Saving throw
-One type of skill check
-All Charisma based skills

Yes, cha-based skills get a boost. Honestly, this is my caring face about any complaints: -_-

Because bluffing, and intimidation, can very well be the same thing, done at the same time, but you should only be rolling one skill check per round; to save on time wasted on dice rolls per round.

In the end, characters will end up 'succeeding' more; but, that's usually what heroes do anyway.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Because adding yet another stat to attack rolls is a good idea.

:roll:
Agrinja
1st Level

Post by Agrinja »

For sake of argument, AC would get a boost as well, as well as saves. It -is- a strange idea, but it is in the least an interesting concept that does further the idea of the charismatic hero smiting down the socially awkward badguy.

On a somewhat related note, is anybody else reminded of a bit toward the end of Witches Abroad where both Granny Weatherwax and another witch are faced with a place where there are infinite 'copies' of themselves, and to escape they've got to find which one is the real them?
And lightning split the sky like a mile tall electrostatic spark, booming like thousands of cubic feet of air undergoing thermal expansion.

I could form a lucid, logical, and wise argument to refute your statement, but instead I'm going to take the moral low-ground and call your mother a whore.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

I think I'm gonna jack that "perception, intelligence, willpower" idea and apply it to Init, skills, and will saves.

Then I'll just rearrange some casting stats. Sorcerers and Clerics cast off of willpower, Druids and Spirit Shamans off of perception, and Bards and Wizards off of Intelligence.
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

JE, your ideas are bad and you should feel bad for suggesting them simply because you ought to know better by now.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.