Brad Manning

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Clutch9800
Master

Brad Manning

Post by Clutch9800 »

He's the Private First Class who is accused of leaking the documents to WikiLeaks.

Should he be hanged or given accolades?

Clutch
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

This is an excellent question. First of I don't think he should be hanged, I don't think any of the information he leaked has directly put lives in danger. For example I don't think he leaked troop deployments or information about patrols, the key intel that the Taliban would want. Wikileaks sat on this for around 6 months I believe, so by the time they went public the information wasn't fresh.

I don't think sent to prison and given accolades are necessarily mutually exclusive. I hope that the leak of these papers spurs the American government to some fruitful action, whatever that may be. I'm sure that it's pretty clearly stated that you're not allowed to leak classified information. On the other hand, in a democracy the people have to keep government accountable, with government and the media being able to misrepresent the situation you need this information to be able to make informed decisions.

So I think the public should give him accolades, because he has shown himself a servant of the people, risking jail time or worse to inform the public. But the military is going to have to court marshal him and barring technicality send him away. They have to reinforce the notion that you do not leak documents, or else they risk it being open season and eventually the sensitive information that threatens troop's lives will be leaked and that is unacceptable. However if your system works out right though some representative should apply political pressure to make sure he is not locked up for the rest of his life.
Last edited by Juton on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

He was a fucking moron for bragging about what he did.

Also, the records apparently contained personal information on Afghanis loyal to the US, which may have put their lives in danger.

Basically, our government tends to be far too secretive about things it has no good reason to be. Secrecy is just another excuse to commit illegal and immoral acts, and our government has been doing that like crazy. However, this sort of thing won't actually make the military any less secretive. In fact, it could quite possibly result in the opposite. So although for the majority of the information it was a good thing to be released, long term solutions of less secrecy would be better.

So criticism or commendation? Commendation, but he's still a fool.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

K
King

Post by K »

I wouldn't hang him. At worse, he simply showed that the American government thinks that it's keeping vital secrets when in fact it is not. I mean, showing evidence that "war is hell" and "there is no evidence of a win condition for this particular game" is interesting, but not particularly useful.

He is kinda a dumbass. Dishonorable discharge is probably in order.... followed by a Barbara Walters interview.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Give him a medal.

The leak which gets someone jailed over warrentless wiretapping etc is worth shinier medals but this is still worth something.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Civilian medals. Agree with K... His leak was of old documents basically proving there isn't a media conspiracy to make the military look bad - the war sucks.

And I believe they redacted even the Afghani government officials' names, which is stupid, since what they're saying should be public record.

-Crissa
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Never mind. The link I posted may already fall under the ban.
Last edited by Zinegata on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Zinegata wrote:Never mind. The link I posted may already fall under the ban.
Hey, did you know that you can delete your own posts?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

He's the Private First Class who is accused of leaking the documents to WikiLeaks.

Should he be hanged or given accolades?
Neither.

So long as there's at least a shred of respect for the American Constitution left, he should be given due process and presumed innocent until proven guilty of any such accusations.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Zinegata wrote:Never mind. The link I posted may already fall under the ban.
Hey, did you know that you can delete your own posts?
Yes, but I was thinking people might have already saw the original post, and it's less confusing than if the post simply disappeared.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Using the name 'BradAss87' was kinda retarded though.
Last edited by cthulhu on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

If he did what he's accused of he most likely acted according to the dictates of his conscious so that's certainly commendable. I'm more appalled by the blasé attitude of the media and the public about what he released even if it was "nothing new" or "shocking."
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, that's the point. It wasn't really anything new or shocking. It turns out nearly everything he released - even the few names - was already known to, or printed in the press.

That the military treated it as secure information not to be given to the soldiers and state department workers lest they blurt it out to the press is criminal, but hard to make much stew about.

-Crissa