The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
The Book of Elements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> It's My Own Invention...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: The Book of Elements Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right, so, I've been sitting on the entire manuscript for the Book of Elements for a few months, and it hasn't been improving except when I sit down to post it. So I've started to post it to the Wiki. If people are interested in anything from it, let me know, because it's already bbcode formatted; posting it here will be faster than wiki-ing it.

The Book of Elements ate the following bits of the Tome of Tiamat (explanations of what's new in bold):
FrankTrollman wrote:
Tome of Tiamat

• Magic Physics (already wikied)
  • Bonus Core Classes (Elementalist (minor tweaks only), Firemage, Puppeteer, Snowscaper Alchemist (updated), Shadowcaster, Windseeker, Snowsoul)
  • Prestige Classes (Shadowdancer, Soulseared (Bane Knight), Elemental Champion (Elemental Knight), Planar Oracle, Primordial Thief, Flesh Alchemist, Worldsmith, Planecrosser)
  • Feats and Spells and Spheres (oh do we have those)
  • Elementals (minor tweaks to the Elements Project)
  • Genies (see: Elementals)
  • Evocation Overhaul (see: Feats)
  • High Adventure on the Inner Planes (Four elements, two energy planes, Wood, Cold, and Shadow. Also giant comprehensive rewrites of the environments on the planes)

-Frank

formatting consistency wrote:
Book of Gears

• Magic Item (90% copypasta)
  • Glyph Traps (copypasta and new spells)

Other

• Power Sites
  • Demiplanes

If any of that looks interesting, ask away. A lot of this stuff hasn't been read too intently by anyone who isn't me, so it might not be as polished as the original tomes. The stuff that has been read and criticized was read and criticized by a computer programmer, and I may have drifted into programmer mode myself sometimes. So in some places it might prize being unambiguous over being easy to read. If this makes any parts unreadable, let me know so I can fix it.

Right. First request:

IGTN wrote:
fbmf wrote:
Quote:

I'm in the process of writing a feat that allows you to use Raw Chaos to make either magic items or demiplanes.

I'd be interested in seeing that.

Game On,
fbmf

The main problem I've been running into with the Demiplane rules is that even after taking all of the general Create a Demiplane rules and giving them their own section to be called by feats, spells, class features, and so on, the feat still ends up long.

I should probably try to make some of the rules (like trait assignments) more general, so that I can take them out of the feat.

Well, that's finished. Here it is:

Elementals of Style wrote:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Sites and Seats of Power wrote:

Last edited by IGTN on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is win. Epic win. Can't wait for the rest of this to go up.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Hicks
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really understand why a demiplane of wood is disallowed, as you can specifically have a plane of gems or gold or magma or whatever. Although I can see why a moratorium on creatures specifically, but trees, bushes, grass, and crops in 3.x are just objects that are as valuless as rubies in a Wish economy.

shadzar wrote:
those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.

Stuff I've Made
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mostly because none of the older demiplane creation utilities let you have wood. A creation method that lets you flood the place with anything you could wish for can give you wood and plants; one that just gives elemental matter gives a dead plane.

So, historical reasons, not balance reasons. Closest thing to a balance reason is that people might try to create new species of plants to their specifications, which, admittedly, is also worthless in the Wish economy, but potentially a hassle for the DM. Might change things to make it available, or introduce something that makes you a life-creating god or something somewhere else.

E: High Adventure section is up on the wiki

Last edited by IGTN on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Red_Rob
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, great read, very thought provoking. Hmmm, that Planescape campaign I always wanted to run....

Two thumbs up!
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The general section on the inner planes is up on the wiki. Specifics on the environments aren't, yet.

@Red_Rob, Vebyast: Thanks.

Anything anyone is particularly interested in seeing that I haven't put up yet? If nobody asks for anything, I'll just throw stuff up on the wiki at random until I run out. If you want something, ask and I'll stick it up, either here (if it has a lot of formatting) or on the wiki (if it doesn't).
TarkisFlux
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since you're taking requests, I'd love me some environment specifics, in no particular order.

Want to contribute to the Tome Reference Document? Start here.

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TarkisFlux wrote:
Since you're taking requests, I'd love me some environment specifics, in no particular order.

[voice=djinn]Done![/voice]

Last edited by IGTN on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Added two more planes (Fire and Positive) and the whole Sites and Seats chapter.

e: Magic Items, too

Last edited by IGTN on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
For Valor
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

snowsoul and windseeker. What are they?

Also, Warmage belongs with the base classes.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For Valor wrote:
snowsoul and windseeker. What are they?

Also, Warmage belongs with the base classes.

Snowsoul (Another variant-themed Fire Mage):

Windseeker:

The Warmage isn't in the book because neither it nor the book gains anything by sticking it in, instead of just having it be a free-floating Tome class and the book not having it. The Fire Mage and Puppeteer aren't included for the same reason.

Also, throwing on the alchemist and shadowcaster. The Alchemist has been redone since I last posted it because it didn't work out the way I wanted it to, and the shadowcaster is my own take on the concept, not Frank's version.

Alchemist:

Shadowcaster:

Last edited by IGTN on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kaelik
Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Snowsoul is called Icecarver in the Alignment section, Grasping whatever, and the Snowman class feature.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kaelik wrote:
Snowsoul is called Icecarver in the Alignment section, Grasping whatever, and the Snowman class feature.

Fixed
For Valor
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

a) Eek! Too much bold! The alchemist and Shadowcaster are missing some tags somewhere.

b) Koumei's also got a shadow caster. These two seem different... I am conflicted.

c) What classes gain something by being added to the book?
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I fixed a couple tags. Not sure if I got them all.

I've only skimmed Koumei's shadowcaster; it looks like a similar concept, but more emphasizing spookiness than mine; mine is also more sneaky/ninjalike.

As for deciding what classes work well in it, basically, the only two classes that I decided to put in the book that I didn't write myself are the Elementalist (with some additions to the spell list; 'sides, it isn't on the wiki yet) and the Genie, which goes in since the original inspiration for the project was to complement it. The Warmage stands fine alone, and the book doesn't have anything leaning on the Warmage. Having this gratuitously eat other people's classes feels something like taking credit for it to me, anyway.

If there wasn't a definitive Warmage already floating around, I'd probably write one when I get around to writing the Book of Civilization. This isn't the Tome of Tiamat; the concepts that were going into Gears, Tiamat, Trees, and Virtue are being sliced differently here.

My plan is:
Elements: All of this
Wilds: Wildernesses, Druids and Rangers, Monsters, Exploration
Civilization: Civilization, Law, Social interactions, Civilization
Stars: Random stuff. Other planes (Upper and Bizarre), Wizards, Future-Prediction, Time, Religion, and so on. Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The closest matches would be Elements/Tiamat, Wilds/Trees, Civ/Gears, and Stars/Virtue, but they're not the same. Playing dragons is a Wilds project, not an Elements project. Paladins are Civ, not Stars. Bards and Swashbucklers are Civ, not Wilds. The High Adventure sections match fairly well, though (Inner Planes, Wilderness, Urban (Gears had either nothing or Cordant Planes), Other Planes (Virtue had Upper Planes))

Last edited by IGTN on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
For Valor
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh! This isn't Tome of Tiamat.

I am fail for not reading.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stuck Elementals of Style up.

It has a few redlinks where includes should be. Here's what goes there (it's bbcode formatted on my computer, so I can stick it here easily, and on the wiki with a bit more work. I'm lazy, so here it goes for now. Anyone who wants to upload it is welcome to it):

Spheres:

Spells:

E: The contents listing for feats is now up.

Last edited by IGTN on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kaelik
Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the Elemental Siphon could be included in the classes section. I give my permission for it at least, but wait a little bit, because I'm probably going to be going over it pretty thoroughly working on same changes and improved wordings and extra features in the next month. But after that. Probably good for inclusion if you want it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> It's My Own Invention... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: