Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

maglag wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Creatures getting no saves while unconscious because they are willing is obviously the best answer. From a textual literalism standpoint it is best because it requires inventing no rules and requires ignoring no rules.
It requires ignoring multiple rules because there are still several spells that specifically only work against unconscious creatures while allowing saves.
You do know there are general rules and specific rules?

Like generally you get an save, but some spells say you dont get an save (like Magic Missile).
Like generally you get an save, unless you are willing or unconcious....
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Nightmare and the like don't have any specific clause, they follow the general rules for saves. If unconscious creatures are willing forever, then you must ignore Nightmare's save section as it's an auto-fail.

Of course, it's completely nonsensical for people, let alone heroes to act unconsciously. Nobody ever heard of honed battle instincts or warriors that keep fighting even after losing all senses. And nobody ever dreams in Frank's campaigns I guess. Specially strange coming from a doctor.
Last edited by maglag on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

Mask thank you for restoring my faith in human asshole'ery! For you I have a barrel full of cocks lovingly gift wrapped. Please enjoy.

On a different note I am bad at game design. I have a player that wants to play something that does not have any moving parts, such that even barbarian is too much math for him. I would like to find a pathfinder based class that is simple requires no real math at the table, and can contribute in at least some out of combat situations. He wants to in his words "Hit things with a stick, not do math, not cast or select spells, and still be relevant."

I tried home brewing a fighter but since as I mentioned I am bad at game design it ended up not doing what was needed, and being much too complex. So does anyone have a simple elegant class that fulfills those criteria? I would be willing to adapt a 3.5 class if someone has a recommendation.
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

There's various versions of the Warlock converted to PF out there. Blasting every round isn't all that efficient, but it's more or less without moving parts. Most of the other warlock abilities are fairly static and you can simplify invocations by just having the player take only blast-based invocations. The warlock gets bluff and sense motive, so they're not completely useless in the skills department either.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Covent wrote:Mask thank you for restoring my faith in human asshole'ery! For you I have a barrel full of cocks lovingly gift wrapped. Please enjoy.
You're welcome and because I'm such a great person, I'll let you keep that barrel for yourself. :V
On a different note I am bad at game design. I have a player that wants to play something that does not have any moving parts, such that even barbarian is too much math for him. I would like to find a pathfinder based class that is simple requires no real math at the table, and can contribute in at least some out of combat situations. He wants to in his words "Hit things with a stick, not do math, not cast or select spells, and still be relevant."

I tried home brewing a fighter but since as I mentioned I am bad at game design it ended up not doing what was needed, and being much too complex. So does anyone have a simple elegant class that fulfills those criteria? I would be willing to adapt a 3.5 class if someone has a recommendation.
Unchained Rogue. It is "find thing, hide from or flank thing, stab thing, roll a bunch of dice." Outside of combat, it is "do skills for thing", which will carry him until you need to give his handicapable ass gear to keep up. Or the Tome Barbarian/Monk, which should port over almost effortlessly. You could also try Tome Soulborn, with the soulmelds chosen for him.

Or you could just drink with him or watch movies or play vidya or some shit that doesn't require math in the first place, because with what he's saying, it kinda sounds like he doesn't want to play period.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

What about the Fire Mage?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

virgil wrote:What about the Fire Mage?
That's probably the direction you'd want to go. Melee combat in Pathfinder is all about figuring out how to stick bonuses together. If you want simple, you should go for fixed list spellcasting. And the simplest fixed list classes (like the Warmage) are about as simple as it gets. And of course, the Fire Mage was written to be simpler than that, because it's also a fixed progression.

-Username17
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

Thank you guys for your suggestions. Just to be clear he very much likes to play, he just wants to play something that has one set of numbers and does not change unless buffed externally. He also likes big two handed sword wielders.

In his first game he played a fighter but quickly became irritated by the fact that he had little to do outside of combat, but he very much enjoyed the combat portion. He has tried full caster and got option paralysis which he did not enjoy. Tried bloodrager and same thing. Tried barbarian and said it was ok but had too many dials with rage and once a rage rage powers.

Basically I think something like fire Mage refluffed to be a swordmage or something is what he will like.

Thanks again guys.
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Covent, take a look at my Iconic Dwarf, which is a Tome class but could be adapted to PF pretty easily. I've had a lot of positive responses to it.

I also wrote up a super-simple magic-sword-type man in my Reaver, although it doesn't do out-of-combat stuff except having skill points.

I'm willing to take a swing at a more specific custom class for the guy, it might take a couple days.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

Thanks everyone again for your help upthread.

I now have another pathfinder question.

I was raging a few minutes ago about another nerf Martials FAQrrata that ignores and contradicts text that just came out and of course was always clearly this way with a whole band of the PDF out to celebrate, but then I got to thinking.

So my question is this, assuming lack of malice, what logic path are they using to generate the FAQs and erratas coming from Paizo?

I am going to try and figure this out in good faith but everything I can think of involves stupidity, lack of game design talent, malice, or deliberate obtuseness.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The first two, with standard cognitive biases to justify their choice.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

I'd attribute it mainly to stupidity/ignorance - when writing the FAQ they're forgetting or misinterpreting the rules they are contradicting.
Last edited by schpeelah on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

One common process is this: some item, ability or combination of abilities is reported as being unreasonably effective in Pathfinder Society games. If the ability is a spell or not in one of the core books they FAQ it is ignored. Otherwise it may be nerfed.

Not nerfing individual spells is probably a matter of convenience, the same for limiting the books they FAQ. The rest of the problem is that PFS games are weird. Often with people who don't know who they'll be gaming with, with low levels of optimisation and a fondness for non-spellcasters, and of course with no way to run plans which take or last longer than a single session. It's convenient for the developers but it's a hugely biased information source.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Covent wrote: So my question is this, assuming lack of malice, what logic path are they using to generate the FAQs and erratas coming from Paizo?
Catering to the audience they targeted from the beginning (i.e., people who believed that 3.5 is a-OK and only needs a few minor fixes, and people who still seriously use the word "realism" when discussing capabilities of DnD martials). Works for them so far.

Keep in mind, that DnD Z with 3.X full casters used as the benchmark for class balance (as they were in Tomes) is not really a popular concept outside of this forum and would have required for Paizo to entirely change their adventuring design paradigm.
Covent wrote:I am going to try and figure this out in good faith but everything I can think of involves stupidity, lack of game design talent, malice, or deliberate obtuseness.
Paizo may lack genuine talent or long-term vision, but they know what they're doing. Maybe you can call that "malice" as their decisions routinely prioritize marketability over solid gameplay.
Last edited by FatR on Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

FatR wrote:Paizo may lack genuine talent or long-term vision, but they know what they're doing.
I think it's fair to claim that publishing an item/feat/class feature/whatever and then saying "whoopsies! I didn't mean to do that" shows a certain lack of knowing what they're doing.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

hogarth wrote: I think it's fair to claim that publishing an item/feat/class feature/whatever and then saying "whoopsies! I didn't mean to do that" shows a certain lack of knowing what they're doing.
If your standard of "knowing what they're doing" excludes pretty much everyone, including MMOs with vastly greater budget and bigger development teams than PF, never mind actual testers, then maybe your standard is too strict.

Errata/nerf patches/whatever are pretty much unavoidable once a project exceeds a certain degree of complexity, while still at least pretending mechanical balance. Paizo errata probably only drew the attention of the poster to whom I first answered just because they are trying to balance the game around the benchmark/set of expectations he didn't even notice (and others, mostly correctly, believe to be poor/contradictory).
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I'm pretty sure that the people at Paizo don't know what they are doing in terms of designing functional things for the D20 system. Case in point most of the new classes, especially any class they introduce a new fiddly resource system to, or any other mechanic (see rules for running a kingdom). Now, I do believe that they know they want to keep things confusing enough in order to not get burned alive by their rabid fan base who think they can do no wrong. I still remember getting a lot of internet hate when I thought I was saying something that was common knowledge (that the Diplomacy rules are shit and the favor rules they added don't help) but was very aggressively yelled at by people who genuinely think that the people at Paizo would never write a rule that was so clearly breakable into the game. I still remember the Prone Shooter feat which, if I recall, gave you absolutely no benefits as it copied the bonuses from just being prone and wrote them up as a feat. So marketing wise? They do a decent enough job to basically have stolen a good deal of DnD's player base.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

FatR wrote:Paizo errata probably only drew the attention of the poster to whom I first answered just because they are trying to balance the game around the benchmark/set of expectations he didn't even notice (and others, mostly correctly, believe to be poor/contradictory).
I imagine they are attempting to balance the game for low-optimization (or actually, no-optimization) play. Low-optimization PF and 3.X play incredibly differently than high-optimization to the point that they're practically different games.

Now, this is a bad idea in the current market since anyone can build a fairly highly-optimized character simply by typing Class Name + Builds into a google search, but I imagine its what portions of the fan base want - partly because highly optimized 3.X D&D is seen as stupid and unfun in the minds of much of the fanbase.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

hogarth wrote:
FatR wrote:Paizo may lack genuine talent or long-term vision, but they know what they're doing.
I think it's fair to claim that publishing an item/feat/class feature/whatever and then saying "whoopsies! I didn't mean to do that" shows a certain lack of knowing what they're doing.
Human beings make errors. That's inevitable. But reviewing your work, finding said errors and fixing them, that's actually a sign that you know what you're doing.

As pointed out, even games that are considered as hallmarks of balance are only so after lots of errata/patches/fixes.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Mechalich wrote:
FatR wrote:Paizo errata probably only drew the attention of the poster to whom I first answered just because they are trying to balance the game around the benchmark/set of expectations he didn't even notice (and others, mostly correctly, believe to be poor/contradictory).
I imagine they are attempting to balance the game for low-optimization (or actually, no-optimization) play. Low-optimization PF and 3.X play incredibly differently than high-optimization to the point that they're practically different games.

Now, this is a bad idea in the current market since anyone can build a fairly highly-optimized character simply by typing Class Name + Builds into a google search, but I imagine its what portions of the fan base want - partly because highly optimized 3.X D&D is seen as stupid and unfun in the minds of much of the fanbase.
But low/no-optimization play isn't balanced. Casters rule, martials drool is still true even when your players don't know how to build either - they're just not going to notice.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

DSMatticus wrote:But low/no-optimization play isn't balanced. Casters rule, martials drool is still true even when your players don't know how to build either - they're just not going to notice.
Naw dawg, no optimization is even worse than you think it is. Just writing "grease" instead of "magic missile" on your character sheet is too much optimization for some people. I've played with people in the early 3rd edition era who thought that fighters were way better than wizards because the wizards in question used blasting spells almost exclusively and took garbage feats. You seriously can play casters so badly that martials outshine them.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

And lowering optimization goes through cascades. For example, if the wizard goes forward as an inefficient blaster, then the party takes more damage, which means the cleric has to reserve close to 100% of available spell slots as heals (wands of cure light do not exist in this optimization zone), which reduces overall damage output and prolongs combats, making the 'all-day' capabilities of fighters and rogues much more potent.

This is doubly true given that low-optimization DMs are likely to explicitly reject the 5-minute adventuring day and structure encounters one after another to maximize the potential of martial classes. Restricting resource recharge via 'you have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself' goes a long way towards making martial classes much more appealing.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

DSMatticus wrote: But low/no-optimization play isn't balanced. Casters rule, martials drool is still true even when your players don't know how to build either - they're just not going to notice.
If your audience is not going to notice then the game is balanced enough.

Disparity between casters and martials is in general overstated as a problem, particularly compared to the problem of excessive complexity and fiddliness in PF, which kicks in earlier and cannot be mitigated.
Last edited by FatR on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Given a similar level of optimization, is a Fighter significantly superior to a Barbarian that's not raging? Against better judgement I had wandered onto the pathfinder reddit and found some upvoted comment on how once the barbarian is out of rages because having a dozen fights in one day is totally how OP runs games, the fighter shines.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

OgreBattle wrote:Given a similar level of optimization, is a Fighter significantly superior to a Barbarian that's not raging? Against better judgement I had wandered onto the pathfinder reddit and found some upvoted comment on how once the barbarian is out of rages because having a dozen fights in one day is totally how OP runs games, the fighter shines.
A Barbarian without rage is almost indistinguishable from a Warrior with +10' speed.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.