Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

It probably means an FAQ powered something up or didn't nerf fighters and monks as hard as SKR's realism demands
malak
Master

Post by malak »

Kaelik wrote:
malak wrote:
ishy wrote:Interesting note: one of the reasons why SKR quit working for Paizo, was that he was forced to defend FAQ rulings he did not personally agree with.
Bah, that's just minimum expected professional behaviour. You can fight a decision internally as much as you want, but never carry that disagreement into the public.
Not really. There is a crucial distinction between "not shit talking" and "told it is your job to defend the stupid shit someone else said" and very few people actually have that second one, and they are almost always PR people who have experience doing that.
Yes really. On the Paizo boards, Paizo employees should pretty much just shut up about their own personal opinion on FAQ rulings and follow the company line. Jason and SKR getting into a flame war about rules sure would be very funny, I guess, but would not help the company one bit.

Also, it is doubtful that SKR would make better rulings were he the boss.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

malak wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
malak wrote:
Bah, that's just minimum expected professional behaviour. You can fight a decision internally as much as you want, but never carry that disagreement into the public.
Not really. There is a crucial distinction between "not shit talking" and "told it is your job to defend the stupid shit someone else said" and very few people actually have that second one, and they are almost always PR people who have experience doing that.
Yes really. On the Paizo boards, Paizo employees should pretty much just shut up about their own personal opinion on FAQ rulings and follow the company line. Jason and SKR getting into a flame war about rules sure would be very funny, I guess, but would not help the company one bit.

Also, it is doubtful that SKR would make better rulings were he the boss.
Hey you fucking idiot. Learn to fucking read. Like, I literally already explained the fucking difference in the post you quoted, so this is 100% redundant for people who are not idiots, but again:

1) It is perfectly reasonable to say that Paizo developers should not shit talk there own stupid FAQ.

2) It is not perfectly reasonable, and in fact, is almost never the case, that someone developer is told that every time some random person on the internet shit talks the FAQ, it is his personal job to defend the FAQ, and if he doesn't show up and start arguing with that person, then he is failing at his job.

SEE THE DISTINCTION? Wholly fucking shit how are you this dumb.

People who are paid to do 2 are fucking PR people, not developers.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
malak
Master

Post by malak »

Kaelik wrote:2) It is not perfectly reasonable, and in fact, is almost never the case, that someone developer is told that every time some random person on the internet shit talks the FAQ, it is his personal job to defend the FAQ, and if he doesn't show up and start arguing with that person, then he is failing at his job.
So I guess it's no problem for you to show a quote by SKR where he says that he was told
Kaelik wrote: that every time some random person on the internet shit talks the FAQ, it is his personal job to defend the FAQ, and if he doesn't show up and start arguing with that person, then he is failing at his job.
and not just to shut up on rulings he disagrees with on the Paizo board?
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

ishy wrote:Interesting note: one of the reasons why SKR quit working for Paizo, was that he was forced to defend FAQ rulings he did not personally agree with.
This is what you were discussing. Whether or not SKR actually said it does not have any impact on the arguments you made stemming from this statement.

Do carry on though. I enjoy watching goalposts dance to and fro.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

If you want a source, he also wrote a post on enworld. I don't know how to link directly to a post there, but it is on page 4, you have to scroll down a little though.
Last edited by ishy on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

The relevant quote:
SKR wrote:I was forced to be the FAQ guy, which meant I had to defend FAQs I disagreed with or was overridden about. Which is another reason why I chose to leave.

Please don't post things as truth when they're easily proven as speculation or error.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

SKR's whole thing with comparing people who take trap options to trying to fight a balor with water balloons was above and beyond the call of duty.

He could have just said trap options flavor the game, and reward system mastery, and can be fun for Timmy. Saying Timmy can go shove his water balloon fighter up his own asshole; he doesn't get to be relevant to the adventure? That takes some good faith in the company line.
malak
Master

Post by malak »

Pixels wrote:
This is what you were discussing. Whether or not SKR actually said it does not have any impact on the arguments you made stemming from this statement.

There' s a difference between 'every developer has to go out and defend FAQ rulings in public' and 'one developer is responsible for the FAQ, and has to defend the rulings made in the FAQ'.

SKR was the FAQ guy.

It's the minimal amount of professionalism for the FAQ guy to defend the FAQ instead of challenging its rulings in public.

No matter how stupid these rulings may be.
Last edited by malak on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

malak wrote:
Pixels wrote:

There' s a difference between 'every developer has to go out and defend FAQ rulings in public' and 'one developer is responsible for the FAQ, and has to defend the rulings made in the FAQ'.

SKR was the FAQ guy.

It's the minimal amount of professionalism for the FAQ guy to defend the FAQ instead of challenging its rulings in public.

No matter how stupid these rulings may be.
Except that he wasn't the FAQ guy, he was the guy who didn't get to decide what the FAQ said, but did have to defend what other people put in the FAQ.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

He wasn't allowed to keep his mouth shut?
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

Wow, SKR if truthful, says he championed the rights that Vows should be free option (not costing Still Mind), Brass knuckles should jut boost unarmed not be own weapons (he was overruled at the company)...

Maybe, just maybe he learned his lesson in WotC and tried to be better, but was told in Pazo, by people who had stupid ideas, that it had to be a shitty option each time.
Since Paizo didn't improve after he left it seems logical. But then we have to believe that SKR learned his lesson and isn't just saying with his 20/20 hindsight ("of course it wasn't me, it was those other paizo designers. "
Last edited by Slade on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8d8
Apprentice

Post by 8d8 »

Are we seriously having a discussion about SKR that depends on inferences born from speculation? Throwing logic and discussion at a unicorn, seriously. :bored:
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:He wasn't allowed to keep his mouth shut?
No, that is the whole point. People are making fun of him for voraciously defending stupid FAQ entries that he personally thinks are stupid as shit, and is saying so now that he no longer works there. His defense is that he had to defend those things.

People are not making fun of him for insulting FAQ entries he never talked about, but ones he specifically defended.

So it looks like someone literally sat him down at some point and said:

1) No you don't get to decide what the FAQ says. We do!

2) If you see someone criticizing FAQ entries on our forums, your job is to tell them how great the ruling is, even if it is one of those ones you hate, and we decided on.

Which basically means they changed his position from developer to PR guy, so that seems like a good reason for quitting to me.

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

He wasn't very good at his job, then. Though that is often why people quit.

Some feats are there to make the others look good by comparison, like Toughness. If your job is to pretend they are an awesome and valid choice and make the players feel good about themselves by out-smarting you, then that's your fucking job. Being the official company idiot.

But breaking character so severely afterward, it's poor form. Monte Cook, for instance, didn't feel the need to hang shit on the 5e team in public (or the 3e team that replaced him, for that matter), other than to thank a limited set of them on the way out. Skip Williams defended the hell out of the 3.0 Monk, and then defended the hell out of the 3.5 Monk without drawing breath, when everyone knows they're just there to make Fighters and Thieves feel slightly better about their living conditions.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

tussock wrote:He wasn't very good at his job, then. Though that is often why people quit.

Some feats are there to make the others look good by comparison, like Toughness. If your job is to pretend they are an awesome and valid choice and make the players feel good about themselves by out-smarting you, then that's your fucking job. Being the official company idiot.

But breaking character so severely afterward, it's poor form. Monte Cook, for instance, didn't feel the need to hang shit on the 5e team in public (or the 3e team that replaced him, for that matter), other than to thank a limited set of them on the way out. Skip Williams defended the hell out of the 3.0 Monk, and then defended the hell out of the 3.5 Monk without drawing breath, when everyone knows they're just there to make Fighters and Thieves feel slightly better about their living conditions.
1) He was hired to be a developer. While he probably wasn't very good at that job either, it sounds like he might have been above average at Piazo. I signed on to be a lawyer, if someone told me tomorrow that my new job was PR guy, I would be fucking bad at my job too.

2) "Breaking Character" afterword is not poor form. They aren't paying him any more. He has absolutely no obligation to continue defending stupid decisions that he disagreed with. To say that someone paying you money for a week means you can never ever ever for the rest of your life disagree with the things they paid you to say is fucking stupid.

rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Kaelik wrote:
2) "Breaking Character" afterword is not poor form. They aren't paying him any more. He has absolutely no obligation to continue defending stupid decisions that he disagreed with.
He has no obligation, agreed. But that's not necessarily what "poor form" means. Take it to mean "long-term self interest", for example. Bad-mouthing your former employer has severe negative consequences for future employment.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

rasmuswagner wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
2) "Breaking Character" afterword is not poor form. They aren't paying him any more. He has absolutely no obligation to continue defending stupid decisions that he disagreed with.
He has no obligation, agreed. But that's not necessarily what "poor form" means. Take it to mean "long-term self interest", for example. Bad-mouthing your former employer has severe negative consequences for future employment.
If you don't work at pathfinder, and you criticize pathfinder rules that suck, and talk about how you wanted to implement better ones, there is literally absolutely no way that can look bad unless the other company is trying to hire a PR person and not a developer.

Since this is the ostensible reason for his departure, he sure doesn't seem to want a PR position, so there is literally no downside to talking like a developer instead of a PR goon.

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Kaelik wrote:If you don't work at pathfinder, and you criticize pathfinder rules that suck, and talk about how you wanted to implement better ones, there is literally absolutely no way that can look bad unless the other company is trying to hire a PR person and not a developer.
That might be the case in non-ridiculous industries, but consider this depressing thought for a moment: the mentality of authority figures from places such as RPG.net is not an aberration when it comes to the rest of the industry. That is, the owners of various TTRPG properties are quite willing to sabotage the quality of their own product in order to assuage their own egos.

Viewed in that light, SKR's frankness was indeed a bad career move. He showed some spine and independence, small as it was, and has thus marked himself as a threat to the groupthink and inferiority-superiority complex of the petty minds that direct TTRPGs.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
K
King

Post by K »

Every time insiders at WotC break off, they seem to detail a highly dysfunctional environment where getting anything done requires five or more bosses who all have veto power specifically about that content (not general oversight) and can force directives onto the authors. No one is responsible because everyone is responsible, and thus no one is empowered. When the ax does fall, it's becomes a clusterfuck of fingerpointing and alliances that damages morale for years.

Basically, it's the worst possible environment for creative work and explains everything about the quality of work that has been produced at WotC since it was acquired by Hasbro.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Kaelik wrote:
rasmuswagner wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
If you don't work at pathfinder, and you criticize pathfinder rules that suck, and talk about how you wanted to implement better ones, there is literally absolutely no way that can look bad unless the other company is trying to hire a PR person and not a developer.

Since this is the ostensible reason for his departure, he sure doesn't seem to want a PR position, so there is literally no downside to talking like a developer instead of a PR goon.
What color is the sky on your planet, and would you like to buy a slightly used bridge? That is naive bordering on autistic.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

I have been running a Pathfinder game using the Mythic rules for a while now and while it does have some serious and gaping issues I have found myself enjoying it. My players have also expressed their enjoyment of the differences mythic brings to the game.

Please understand I am not trying to defend either Pathfinder or Mythic, I am mostly writing this due to the fact that this game and the extensive house-ruling I have had to do to make Mythic "Sort-of" work has made me take a hard look at my regular Pathfinder game and realize how many "house-rules/gentlemen's agreements/understandings" I have in place on both the player and GM sides of the table.

This spurred me to start looking at each of my Pathfinder books and the game as a whole and start taking some notes. I shortly came to the conclusion that no-one could play this game as written and it needs quite a bit of work.

I was talking to a few friends and starting to write some stuff down, when I realized I was basically about to try and rewrite Pathfinder... The thought came to me "This is how Heart-Breakers come to be."

In short I had an epiphany and then a laugh at my own hubris. I am working on a rewrite but honestly I suspect it will never see the light of day outside of my personal gaming group.

Well enough rambling, I am sure this is old hat to everyone here but while I had realized such things as LWQW and CMD vs CMB scaling, the extent of the issues did not really come as a surprise it was just sobering when I really started to look at them all lain out.

It also left me realizing that their are some good seeds of ideas in pathfinder books, such as Mythic and WOP, they are just usually rushed, incomplete, and executed poorly. I am kinda in a place where all of Pathfinder feels like that right now.
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Apparently, the Monster Summoner's Handbook has a new archetype for the cleric. And it's a really good archetype, too, handing out Augment Summons and Superior Summons as a bonus feat along with letting you spontaneously cast Summon Monster. And this is among the other things the game lets you do such as providing a metamagic feat (and thus rod) that lets you apply the Giant template to your summons at +1 level.

If there was a way for non-evil clerics to cast Summon Monster as a standard action without relying on that crack-ass Sacred Summons feat it'd be all I ever play in Pathfinder when I didn't want to sandbag.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

Combines pretty well with the Magical Lineage trait as well. Pick it up through Additional Traits and retrain it to whatever summon monster spell you're going to use to summon bruisers whenever you gain a new spell level and you can summon nothing but giant monsters all day without relying on rods.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Question: based on the last few dozen pages, I'm wondering: should the title of this thread be edited to "Pathfinder is actually pretty good?"