Josh's Quick Ranger Hack

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Josh_Kablack
King

Josh's Quick Ranger Hack

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Cuz I don't like any of the other versions yinz jagovs have posted anna cuz da core verzin don't work witch da Tome Feats annat.

Start here
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm

Change HD to d10s - just because

Change Favored enemy so that it applies to "damage rolls" not just "weapon damage rolls". You totally should be able to add damage to a Necklace of Fireballs just as well as from a longbow.

Change Combat Style, Improved Combat Style and Combat Style Mastery to
At 2nd, 6th and 11th level a ranger may select one of the following tome feats as a bonus feat:

Blind Fighting, Combat School, Command, Danger Sense, Hunter, Insightful Strike, Point-Blank Shot, Sniper,Two Weapon Fighting and Zen Archery.
This folds the abilities into the existing Tome Feats.

Change Endurance to
A ranger gains the tome feat Great Fortitude as a bonus feat at 3rd level.
This folds the ability into the existing Tome Feat

Change animal companion so that
This ability functions like the druid ability of the same name, except that the ranger’s effective druid level is three less than his ranger level.
This means it won't become meaningless as levels increase
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Why have it function at a lower level at all? The Druid still gets more animal boosting spells, if anything the Ranger's pet should have more base hit dice.

You might want to do something about how Rangers get less and less as they go up in level even so.

-Username17
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

For animal companion just let the Ranger use their level as the Druid level, no -3. Do something more extreme with Favoured Enemy, because it still sucks. If you let it apply to larger groups, say all Humanoids instead of just Humanoid:Orc it might be actually relevant outside a specialty campaign like Ravenloft or that Drow one. If you are going to house rule a class don't be afraid to break it, if your changes are a probably you can always fix them for a week later.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Handing out two useful feats over three levels makes this pretty dippable. Might want to change that and just replace endurance with an explicit ability.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

My fear is not breaking the class, but in wasting my own time, so I am not going to do a major rewrite nor look through the twenty zillion online ranger variants.

The thinking on still reducing animal companion level is that upon attaining 4th level, a ranger player can use stats out of the book and does not have to modify them at all when the animal is first acquired. This way they have two levels to get used to having the animal before they need to apply bonus HD and stat adjustments to it. I suppose I could work this so that at 4th level, the ranger had to take one of the 4th level druid companion choices.

And yes, given the game Favored enemy categories should get collapsed so Outsiders is one category and and humanoids applies merely to Humans (and those appearing as humans) or to Non-Humans
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Will you change the spell selection any? Add Druid spells?

While my own writings aren't widely accepted (Actually, just here. Elsewhere I do get other opinions) I don't ever find it a waste of time. It's always a learning experience.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

While my own writings aren't widely accepted (Actually, just here. Elsewhere I do get other opinions) I don't ever find it a waste of time. It's always a learning experience.
Fair point and well said.

I wouldn't post stuff here and have these frustrating arguments if I didn't honestly think that the process made my design work and games better.

So lemme rephrase as "any further revisions will be of lower priority than other work I still need to do for this game until such time as one of my actual players chooses to play a ranger."
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Josh_Kablack wrote:My fear is not breaking the class, but in wasting my own time, so I am not going to do a major rewrite nor look through the twenty zillion online ranger variants.
In light of that, seems fine,
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Mister_Sinister wrote:May I suggest an alternative?
No kidding. I just found that one myself the other day, and can't wait to play it. :D