A search for an optimal resolution mechanic

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

If avoiding ties on the die roll is a major concern, then you probably shouldn't be using anything smaller than a d100.
As for tie-breakers, the mini-conversation of "what's your initiative mod and dex", "5 and 11" "3 and 16" is actually quicker than just about anything else you could do. The rare event where you would then incorporate the actual fiction might finally encompass about the same amount of time as rerolling, re-adding, and then going back to the original rolls in order to note the overall initiative order .... and draws deeper attention to the actual fiction, to boot.
Also, what John Magnum said.

When MC calls for initiative, everybody gets excited, reach for their dice, and start rolling .... When you hear "23", "17", and "19", followed by "4", that's just unnecessarily deflating, especially if everybody's modifiers are roughly the same. It's also a little jarring when I, as MC, am writing down initiative order and I see such a meaninglessly wide divergence. And by meaningless, I mean that, beyond simple ordering, there is no real qualitative or quantitative difference between a 23 and a 4. This isn't even a pass/fail type of thing -- it's nothing more than simple ordering. However, since magnitude and/or degree of success is important in so many other areas of the game, people automatically assign value or significance with such a disparity -- which, in the case of initiative, is fucking stupid.

When there are wildly varying initiative modifiers within the party, players already quite readily accept that the intra-party initiative order is pretty-much set -- and that's on a d20. And to be fair, they're statistically kinda justified.
So much for avoiding determinism. :ohwell:

In the interest of full disclosure, I probably should voice the fact that I do have a soft spot for the d12. It's visually pleasing, the finer granularity over the d10 is significant enough to note (making it an adequate replacement for the d20 for some things), .... and is the least loved die in the game (yes, that is a shameless appeal to pity).
Last edited by wotmaniac on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

There's no way the d12 is less-loved than the d4.
-JM
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

I'm not sure if you're serious or not; but just in case:

____________d12_____________ / ____________d4_____________
HD = barbarian, dragon, undead ____ wizard, sorcerer, fey
weapons = greataxe _____________ at least couple of dozen
Misc. = ______ ??? ______________ Every cool-down timer, 80% of Summon Critter spells, Magic Missile, many [sonic] spells, etc., etc.

Just sayin'. :wink:
Last edited by wotmaniac on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

You realize that "less-loved" could possibly refer to something other than frequency of use right?

And that constant jokes about how shitty d4s are, especially as they concern stepping on them, might be reflective of people's feelings.

I personally hate any die that hurts me but doesn't provide anything another die couldn't.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

Huh ... I guess there is that.

Last edited by wotmaniac on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Mark Cuban