The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Shadowcaster Redux [Tome of Things/Book of Elements]

Post by Kaelik »

Shadowcaster
"[quote goes here]"

Shadowcasters are master of shadow, and generally manipulate shadow. They do hard action denial, and debuffs mostly.

Playing a Shadowcaster: Manipulating Shadow is based on force of will, which is Charisma, the primary stat.

Starting Age: As Sorcerer
Starting Equipment: 5d4x10gp
Alignment: Shadowcasters are any alignment.

Hit Die: d4
Base Attack Bonus: Half progression
Good Saving Throws: Fortitude and Will
Skill Points: 6+Int
Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Hide, Knowledge (Planes), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Slight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot

Shadowcaster:
1: Shadow Bolts, See In Darkness, Shadows
2: Shade Minion, Cloak of Shadow
3: SD (str damage), Shadow Emulation
4: Shadow Stepping
5: SB (negative level), Negative Energy Control
6: Shadow Pin, SE (2nd)
7: Five Fingered Discount
8: Shadow Steed
9: SE (3rd)
10: SB (Power)
11: SE (4th)
12: ST (Long)
13: SE (5th)
14: ST (Fast)
15: SE (6th)
16: SB (All Powered)
17: SE (7th)
18: SB (Five Finger Normal)
19: SE (8th)
20: Shadow Form, SB (Five Finger Power)

Class Feature

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Shadowcasters are proficient in simple weapons and all shields.

Shadow Bolts (Sp): A Shadow caster may fire a two shadowbolts as an attack action out to 60ft. Each ray is a range touch attack, that if it hits, forces a Will save DC 10+1/2 Shadowcaster level+Cha modifier against being dazed for one round. You can't get extra attacks with Haste, TWF, Rapid Shot, Whirling Frenzy Barbarian Rage, That Cleric spell that gives an extra attack, or anything else besides BAB.

At level 3, each ray does one Str damage regardless of the save result.

At level 5, each ray also does one negative level regardless of save result.

At level 7, as a full round action, the Shadowcaster may fire off ten shadowbolts at once. Unlike normal shadowbolts these do not do strength damage or negative levels, and may not target the same target multiple times, as they are fired at once.

At level 10, as a standard action, the shadowcaster may fire a single bolt that does 4 Str damage, two negative levels, and has no save against the Daze effect.

At level 16, the attack action bolts take on the Str damage and negative levels of powered bolts, but not the save denying effect.

At level 18, the 10 bolt shots do regular Str and negative levels.

At level 20, the 10 bolt shots act as powered bolts except for the save denying effect.

See in Darkness (Ex): A Shadowcaster can see perfectly in darkness of any kind.

Shadows (Sp): A Shadowcaster may manipulate Shadow in small ways. He may cast any Cantrip or Orision at will as a spell like ability, but all manifestations take a distinctly shadowy tinge. Charisma is the governing ability for these SLAs.

Shade Minion (Sp): A Shadowcaster may summon a minion of shadow, who acts as an Unseen Servant spell, but with a duration of permanent. Unlike an unseen servant, the Shade Minion is visible as a cluster of shadow, and the square it occupies is always shadowy illumination unless it would be darker. Only one Shade Minion may exist at a time for the Shadowcaster, summoning a new Shade Minion causes the previous one to cease existence.

Cloak of Shadow (Su): As a free action, a Shadowcaster may cloak himself in shadow, or dismiss the cloak. This cloak gives the Shadowcaster a 20% concealment miss chance that is negated by seeing through magical darkness, but not by regular Darkvision.

Shadow Emulation (Sp): A Shadowcaster may manipulate shadow to mimic the effect of any Conjuration (Creation) spell, or Evocation spell from the Wizard spell list of 1st level. This is always a standard action, and it is made of shadow, and only partially real.

Anyone attempting to interact with the spell gets a Will save to see the partial reality of the spell. For the Shadowcaster himself, anyone under the effect of True Seeing, and anyone who makes their saving throw, the spell is only 5% real per Shadowcaster level. For anyone else, it is as the spell.

The spells partial reality should follow this hierarchy:
1) If it does damage, or otherwise has a divisible effect, that should be reduced to the appropriate amount.
2) If it does not have such an effect, it's area should be reduced by the appropriate percentage.
3) If it does not have an area, it's duration should be reduced by the appropriate amount, barring Permanent or Instantaneous Duration.
4) You should make a post asking what to do, and I will give an answer, which may be "It can't be emulated."

At level 6, the Shadowcaster can emulate 2nd level spells.

At level 9, he can emulate 3rd level spells.

At every odd level after 9, he can emulate spells of one level higher.

For all emulations, the saving throw for disbelief and for any effect the spell might have is DC 10+1/2 Shadowcaster level+Charisma Modifier. If the spell being emulated requires a will save, use the same result as the will save for partial reality.

Shadow Stepping (Su): As a move action, a Shadowcaster may step from one location of darkness or shadowy illumination to any other within close range to which he has line of effect.

At level 12 he may spend three consecutive full round actions to shadow step to any location he has already shadow stepped to, regardless of distance, provided it is in darkness of shadowy illumination.

At level 14 his move action steps extend out to medium range, and he may spend a swift action stepping to any location within close range that fits the normal criteria.

Negative Energy Control (Su): A Shadowcaster may as a standard action attempt to either infuse an undead or shadow creature with negative energy, or rip the energy away, if within medium range. This has no effect on non undead who are not natives of the Plane of Shadow. On undead or Shadow plane natives, they heal 10HP per Shadowcaster level if infused, or take 10HP per Shadowcaster level untyped damage if ripped. In either case, there is a will save (harmless) of DC 10+1/2 Shadowcaster level+Charisma Modifier for the effect.

The Shadowcaster and his Shadow Steed are considered natives of the Plane of Shadow for this effect.

Shadow Pin (Su): As a move action, the Shadowcaster may step on the shadow of any adjacent creature, entangling it, and preventing it from moving from it's current square by mundane means. Any supernatural, spell like, or spell effect may still move it from that square. The pin stays until released as a free action, the Shadowcaster is no longer adjacent to the creature, or the Shadowcaster is rendered helpless. The Shadowcaster may only pin one target at a time.

While the magic of the shadow allows the Shadowcaster to pin any target even in total darkness or surrounded by bright light, all creatures in the air even by a single foot, are immune to this effect.

Shadow Steed (Sp): A Shadowcaster may summon a Steed of Shadow that acts as a Phantom Steed cast by a Wizard of his Shadowcaster level. The only exceptions are that any location occupied by the Steed becomes Shadowy Illumination if it was Brightly lit, and that the Shadow Steed may use the Shadow Pin and Shadow Stepping class features of the Shadowcaster as if it were a Shadowcaster itself, of the same level as the Shadowcaster who summoned it.

Shadow Form (Ex): A Shadowcaster becomes a creature of pure shadow, gaining DR 20/Wood, and becoming incorporeal.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Examples of Shadow Emulation applied to spells will go here.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

This looks pretty cool. I really dig the whole "doesn't deal damage in the traditional sense" aspect.

So, let's look at core level 1 spells that can be shadowed up:
Unseen Servant: carry/drag capacity is reduced, I guess

Obscuring Mist: area

Mage Armour: the bonus?

Grease: area

Shocking Grasp, Magic Missile, Burning Hands: damage, easy

Floating Disc: if someone actually goes and interacts with it they can reduce the carry capacity, funnily enough. So you put a 100lbs weight on it and float it over someone. If they disbelieve, it falls on their head and we all have a good laugh.

So level 1 (core) is really fucking simple to work out.

Level 2:

Web: area

Glitterdust: area

Acid Arrow: damage

Continual Flame: duration

Darkness: area

Flaming Sphere: damage

Gust of Wind: ?

Shatter: ?

Scorching Ray: damage

And I am already bored of this. But for most of them it looks pretty simple.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Koumei wrote:Floating Disc: if someone actually goes and interacts with it they can reduce the carry capacity, funnily enough. So you put a 100lbs weight on it and float it over someone. If they disbelieve, it falls on their head and we all have a good laugh.
I think my favorite use so far is wall of stone. You create a wall that blocks of the entire tunnel for anyone who fails a save, but for you, it has a nice big hole in the middle to shoot rays through.
Koumei wrote:Continual Flame: duration
Nope, Permanent Duration is Permanent. I guess the light effect is reduced. Which is fine, because fuck shadowcasters making light sources anyway.
Koumei wrote:Gust of Wind: ?
I would argue that the effect of "60ft line" could reasonably be treated as an area and reduced.
Koumei wrote:Shatter: ?
A quick cop out could be "will disbelief is the same as the save for negating." So it either has 100% effect, or no effect, because if they make the disbelief save, then it has no effect.

Or of course, they use the area version, and it has an area.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Good point. And if they decide to use the damaging form of Shatter, then hey, that's damage that can be reduced.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Fucking Shit! I totally forgot I made this class, and I love it. Put this in the Tome Community Material Thread so I don't forget again.

PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

How exactly does negative energy control work? Can it only heal damage? Or does it give the target temporary hit points? If it is THP, is there a duration? Or can he just add a ton of THP to the entire party (who have Tomb-Tainted Soul) and their undead minions?

Overall, I like the class. It's pretty powerful and has a huge amount of versatility thanks to being able to crank out a ton of different effects via emulation, but still can't match a "real" wizard for the power of effects, thanks to being a spell level behind.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

One issue is that orc shadowcasters are always dazzled. It's not necessary to treat darkness as bright light; you only have to remove the penalties.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

I do worry that the negative levels might be a bit over the top when they first come online. In a party with someone who casts Haste, this guy is throwing out 4 negative levels per round at level 5. He could two-round most of the things he'll be facing, if they're not immune to the effect.

I guess that's not that bad, as most PC-grade classes can kill things fast, but this is with no save and only requires a ranged touch attack. What's the range on these shadow bolts, anyway?

I know you've stated in the past that these kinds of attacks aren't supposed to work with TWF and the like, so I won't go there. But Haste should certainly work, right?
Last edited by PhaedrusXY on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

PhaedrusXY wrote:How exactly does negative energy control work? Can it only heal damage? Or does it give the target temporary hit points? If it is THP, is there a duration? Or can he just add a ton of THP to the entire party (who have Tomb-Tainted Soul) and their undead minions?
Changed wording to be clear about healing and taking damage.
PhaedrusXY wrote:Overall, I like the class. It's pretty powerful and has a huge amount of versatility thanks to being able to crank out a ton of different effects via emulation, but still can't match a "real" wizard for the power of effects, thanks to being a spell level behind.
It is two spell levels behind, not one.
CatharzGodfoot wrote:One issue is that orc shadowcasters are always dazzled. It's not necessary to treat darkness as bright light; you only have to remove the penalties.
And arguably, Shadowcasters can never Shadow Step to any location because they have to treat everything like Bright light or something.

I changed it to just use the normal wording on See in Darkness.
PhaedrusXY wrote:I do worry that the negative levels might be a bit over the top when they first come online. In a party with someone who casts Haste, this guy is throwing out 4 negative levels per round at level 5. He could two-round most of the things he'll be facing, if they're not immune to the effect.

I guess that's not that bad, as most PC-grade classes can kill things fast, but this is with no save and only requires a ranged touch attack. What's the range on these shadow bolts, anyway?

I know you've stated in the past that these kinds of attacks aren't supposed to work with TWF and the like, so I won't go there. But Haste should certainly work, right?
Fuck you times infinity. I added a clause about how much I hate you and all people like you.

PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Much better. :thumb: I might have to try this out.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

If you really want to disallow the gaining of extra attacks, just make the Shadow Bolts take a standard action to use.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:If you really want to disallow the gaining of extra attacks, just make the Shadow Bolts take a standard action to use.
Because of course at +6 BAB you get two standard actions... oh wait, that's fucking stupid.

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Kaelik wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:If you really want to disallow the gaining of extra attacks, just make the Shadow Bolts take a standard action to use.
Because of course at +6 BAB you get two standard actions... oh wait, that's fucking stupid.
You could do it, but you'd have to change the wording to something like:

"As a standard action, you may fire one shadow bolt, plus a number of additional bolts equal to the number of attacks granted by your BAB"

, but I'm not sure that's much better or less confusing than the current wording. Although, I guess this does allow a move on a "full attack", so it's technically not the same.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Dude, just base it on scorching ray. As a standard action, you shoot off one shadow bolt with.the following abilities: at level A it does B, Level C it does D... and level X it does Y. At levels This, That, and Another, you may fire off another shadow bolt, to a maximum of N shadow bolts at Z level.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hicks wrote:Dude, just base it on scorching ray. As a standard action, you shoot off one shadow bolt with.the following abilities: at level A it does B, Level C it does D... and level X it does Y. At levels This, That, and Another, you may fire off another shadow bolt, to a maximum of N shadow bolts at Z level.
And then it will be a standard action, not a full round action, to fire off four bolts at level 8.

Goddam it people, how about you just read the words that are on the goddam page right now, instead of suggesting more ways to change the ability to be very similar but slightly different, because you cry like a baby whenever you see the words "You can't TWF with this ability."

...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I WANT TO TWF SHADOWBOLTS!
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:I WANT TO TWF SHADOWBOLTS!
Good news, because every Shadowcaster is already TWFing with Shadowbolts.

That's why they get two at level 1, and 4 at level 8, and that's why the Five Fingered Discount gives them 10 shots, because they are using two hands.

...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

All right, Kaelik, you win then.

Some comments: Shadow Stepping's utility power at level 12 is nice, but it seems like the sort of thing a party would want, instead of just one character. It'd be nice to see that extended to four people and their equipment or whatever, unless you've got a better reason for keeping it as-is that I haven't thought about.

Shadow Stepping's references in the table are "ST" instead of what intuitively would be "SS".

Why are flying creatures immune to Shadow Pin?

Shadows, giving all cantrips and orisons, doesn't seem... well, not overpowered, per say, but kinda dumb. I mean, I understand that it's pretty minor, and that it's a cool effect, but shadowy acid splash, shadowy open/close, shadowy virtue, shadowy create water, shadowy guidance, and shadowy mending all seem pretty dumb. Shadowy flare and shadow light are just retarded. So in that note, it'd be nice to have that restricted a little bit.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:Some comments: Shadow Stepping's utility power at level 12 is nice, but it seems like the sort of thing a party would want, instead of just one character. It'd be nice to see that extended to four people and their equipment or whatever, unless you've got a better reason for keeping it as-is that I haven't thought about.
No reason, except me being stupid.
...You Lost Me wrote:Shadow Stepping's references in the table are "ST" instead of what intuitively would be "SS".
I have no explanation, except something about steed that ended up not mattering.
...You Lost Me wrote:Why are flying creatures immune to Shadow Pin?
Because their shadows do not touch them. Also, because I do not want to have to explain what happens to a poor maneuverability flyer who is shadow pinned.
...You Lost Me wrote:Shadows, giving all cantrips and orisons, doesn't seem... well, not overpowered, per say, but kinda dumb. I mean, I understand that it's pretty minor, and that it's a cool effect, but shadowy acid splash, shadowy open/close, shadowy virtue, shadowy create water, shadowy guidance, and shadowy mending all seem pretty dumb. Shadowy flare and shadow light are just retarded. So in that note, it'd be nice to have that restricted a little bit.
Force shadows away from an object, cover their face in shadow creating a -1 penalty to some stuff that is vision related (not that it matters, because no one will ever use Flare) Shadow Acid is a fucking class feature of this class, see shadow emulation and how acid is conjuration creation (also water). Shadowy virtue is not weirder than shadowy cure minor wounds, and you can open the doors with a hand made of shadow that is exactly like the one you use for shadowy mage hand. And the Shadows whisper guidance to you.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I like Shadow Sonic Snap ("Ow, that shadow whispered very loudly in my ear!") and Shadow Caltrops ("Ow! My shadow is very sharp today...")

No, seriously. I do like the idea. That isn't sarcasm, and it's less retarded than half the stuff actually written into core.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Hm, I guess I wasn't thinking about it as shadow emulation and more as "lol my spells are made of black magic". I concede there.