Temple of the Maelstrom IC

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Malak quicken dispels one of the demons, and then fires of finger darts at it, doing 19 Dex damage to it.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:{Is it still magical after I looked at it? For the moment I am going to mind blast any birdmen in range.}
The symbol is still magical. As the Caelian charge closes, Fast Eddie's psionic counterattack synergizes quite nicely with the hail of arrows from the ship guards. None of the lancers survive.
ubernoob wrote:Andrew Jackson will delay until the demons are in charging range.
Andrew Jackson is ready to take out the demon as soon as it moves nearby, but could also adjust to deal with a new threat if necessary.
Kaelik wrote:Malak quicken dispels one of the demons, and then fires of finger darts at it, doing 19 Dex damage to it.
The magical assault sends the demon plunging into the water below. Its companion hastens forward into range for Andrew Jackson. Another squad of birdmen shoots out of the closing clouds and almost catches up with the demon.

Burbling warcries erupt around the ship as a large number of bugbear-sized froglike humanoids end their stealthy underwater approach and begin to clamber over the ship's sides in a burst of motion. Only a few have made it onto the deck so far, but many more follow. Each carries a polearm with a spiky blade of bright pink coral, and most have a buckler of the same material.

[3 War Shamblers have boarded the ship]
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Andrew Jackson makes a charging smite at the remaining demon.
+17 +2 buffs +2 charging +6 cha -7 PA = +20
Damage: 1d8+8+1 buff +14 PA +6 smite+7 blitz = 1d8+36

Rolled a 14 to hit. Probably hits. 43 damage. If that puts the demon below 24 HP, it's dead. I provoke an AoO from Blitz, but I doubt the demon has the reach to capitalize. If it doesn't die, AJ casts prayer after hitting and the demon needs to save vs slow (DC 22 will).

Current AC is 37, 35 touch. Reflex save is at +20. Fort is 21. Will is 24.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Mind-blasting again, at whichever of the Frogmen/Birdmen I have a cleaner shot at.
"Curse the elf dogs you were sired from! I'll eat your souls!"
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Malak lays out a sculpted Shadow Spray, Using four Ten foot Cubes, to hit all three frogmen on the boat and no one else for 4 str damage, and daze. Fort DC 25 negates.

Then he moves to the starboard side, leans over, and uses a Widened Quickened Grease on the entire ship side, Making the climb harder some amount that you'll have to make up (or they can make balance checks and climb checks) and forcing a DC 25 Reflex save or they fall off the ship, back into the water.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

The nearby demon and shamblers are either killed swiftly and efficiently or weakened to the point that the ship archers can easily finish them off, in some cases by closing with melee weapons, and the magical grease on the sides of the ship prevents any enemies from closing in immediately. The shamblers seem to lack either the strength or tactical acumen to attack the ship directly right now.

The ship's crew takes advantage of the reprieve to carry wounded below and make some basic repairs to damaged portions of the ship.

The massive storm buildup has mostly dissipated, but 2 smaller clouds shoot forward, each carrying what looks like the remainder of the force arrayed against the party. These move much more quickly, and they will be ready to engage very soon. However, the party does have half-minute or so to prepare if nothing surprising changes things.

{Somewhat abstracted depiction of the situation next wave:
Image}
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Malak picks one of the random henchmen on the boat, and Dex damages him to zero, and then uses Restoration on him, thus curing himself of like 50HP damage or more...

Oh wait, that's what I would do if we had fought anything threatening instead of fighting a bunch of level 2 Warriors. Protip: This is not Dominions, it's D&D, Armies of weak freespawn are not interesting or challenging.

So instead, I'll take a moment to blast and blind a couple birds out of the air, while thinking about how apparently I need to grab fireball so that this formality of killing minions can go by quicker.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Yeah, Andrew Jackson is just going to dismount and let his hydra take care of this threat.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

{It's been about a day, so I will assume that Fast Eddie uses Mind Blast.}

Andrew Jackson easily pushes through the birdmen that are knocked to the ground by Fast Eddie's psionic attack as he makes his way to the portion of deck covering the place the hydra is kept and opens the way for it to engage. As he does this, he notes that the current wave seems better equipped and less... enthusiastic about charging in to engage than the lancers. Each is outfitted in chainmail and carries a sword/shield combo inscribed with magical runes.

Malak fires some more magical fingers at the current wave of bird men, knocking several out of the air. One somehow manages to parry the attack with his rune-inscribed shield, but none respond with a counterattack yet. Most hover just high enough to effectively defend against the arrows coming from the ship.

The 2 small and fast-moving clouds shoot together, one positioned just over the other, and both directly above the ship. Just before they intersect, 2 more birdmen fly off and to the sides, both with distinctive black-colored wings. 4 enemies cry out words of power in unison. An enormous flare of light from the clouds accompanies the tremendous blast of downwards lightning that cleaves through the front of the ship. At the same time, the staff-wielding black-winged birdman fires a ball of crackling green flame that explodes over the ship, the wave of magical flame engulfing most of his remaining warriors. The ship is covered in fire that seems to rot the ship even as it burns, and none of the crew are left alive. Moments later, the corpses of crew, birdmen, and shamblers all stand up, blazing, and stumble at the party. The sword-armed black-winged Caelian is surrounded by a corona of blue light, and his shield blazes with power.

The ship is falling apart, on fire, and sinking. One bright spot: the electrification of the water seems to have killed all the shamblers.

{9d6 Fire/Negative Energy Damage + 1 Strength damage, Reflex Save DC 18 for half.
If the save is failed, targets are set on fire
If targets are killed by the fireball, they are converted to Zombies under the command of the Harab warmage}
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

How did something that was going to take half a minute to get here arrive in one round, and get a surprise attack?
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

{See OOC thread}
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Andrew Jackson miraculously avoids the attack.
30 on the reflex save; evasion.
He then charges the staff user with a smite.
36 to hit. 42 damage. DC 22 vs slow. If still alive after 42 damage and with less than 24 HP, it dies.
Last edited by ubernoob on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

{Birdylou should roll against my 25 SR- if he succeeds he's doing 26 damage after my DR.}
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

1) You know that you have to roll the 9d6 right, because it's the same for everyone.

2) Seething Eyebane on the Black winged one that cast the green fireball. DC 25 Fort or blind, 3 Acid damage to him and anyone adjacent to him if he fails the save. Then Dimension Door onto the Hydra.

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

{I did, sorry. It was 41.}
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:{I did, sorry. It was 41.}
No I mean that Av has to roll it. You == Av. You don't have to roll it.

The point being that you can't roll the damage, because everyone takes the same amount.

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Gotcha.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

{ SR bypass roll: 19 after mods

I am too lazy to roll the damage right now. People can roll their own damage, or they can take the average.
9 x 3.5 = 31.5
32 damage.

I should note that given half the damage is negative energy, undead are unaffected. The flaming zombies are unlikely to be destroyed by the fireball's aftermath.}
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Fast Eddie returns to the sky, drifting towards the inhabitants of the clouds, his moustache bristling to disguise the twirl of his tentacles. He gathers his strength to mind blast the foes.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

ubernoob wrote:Andrew Jackson miraculously avoids the attack.
30 on the reflex save; evasion.
He then charges the staff user with a smite.
36 to hit. 42 damage. DC 22 vs slow. If still alive after 42 damage and with less than 24 HP, it dies.
Andrew Jackson shoots into the sky, on a course to strike the mage. However, as he closes, the black-winged warrior interposes himself between the 2 and raises his glowing shield. The light explodes off and outward, taking the form of a wall of brilliantly colored force 25 feet long. Andrew Jackson's impact cracks the wall, but he is stopped for the moment. It looks as though 1 more attack would easily destroy the barrier.
JigokuBosatsu wrote:Fast Eddie returns to the sky, drifting towards the inhabitants of the clouds, his moustache bristling to disguise the twirl of his tentacles. He gathers his strength to mind blast the foes.
The mental attack passes through the barrier of vapor without difficulty. One cloud vanishes as the stunned rider falls through it and into the ocean.

-------------------------------------------------

Malak has not acted yet.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I posted my actions.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Avoraciopoctules wrote: However, as he closes, the black-winged warrior interposes himself between the 2 and raises his glowing shield. The light explodes off and outward, taking the form of a wall of brilliantly colored force 25 feet long. Andrew Jackson's impact cracks the wall, but he is stopped for the moment. It looks as though 1 more attack would easily destroy the barrier.
That's an entire round of actions during my turn (at least a move and a standard to cast wall of force or whatever). Secondly, AJ has 20' reach and is riding a huge flying zombie hydra. So yeah, I'm gunna need an explanation how he got that off as an immediate action. If it isn't an actual wall of force (you can't just break a wall of force), then my hydra would seriously just make a strength check to go right through it.

So, explanation needed.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Kaelik wrote:I posted my actions.
{Then you are surely capable of finding that post, hitting the quote button, and then hitting the post button in the new window.}
ubernoob wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote: However, as he closes, the black-winged warrior interposes himself between the 2 and raises his glowing shield. The light explodes off and outward, taking the form of a wall of brilliantly colored force 25 feet long. Andrew Jackson's impact cracks the wall, but he is stopped for the moment. It looks as though 1 more attack would easily destroy the barrier.
That's an entire round of actions during my turn (at least a move and a standard to cast wall of force or whatever). Secondly, AJ has 20' reach and is riding a huge flying zombie hydra. So yeah, I'm gunna need an explanation how he got that off as an immediate action. If it isn't an actual wall of force (you can't just break a wall of force), then my hydra would seriously just make a strength check to go right through it.

So, explanation needed.
{The Iron Crow commander took a held Standard action and used one of its ridiculous feats.}

--------------------------

{It occurs to me that some of this discussion might be better placed in the OOC thread. Then I might have noticed Kaelik's post.}
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

In that case, AJ uses an immediate action to dispel the wall as it is cast using his 1/day interrupting spell. CL check 1d20+10 comes to 25. Then he hits the guy with the staff. If the black winged guy is in the way, the hydra just bull rushes him out of the way (1d20+15 gets me 28 on the strength check).
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

That`s actually quite difficult to do on a phone. You could of course just read the post you already read, because it`s the one I told you to roll damage in.