My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The RPG?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The RPG?

Post by virgil »

Obviously this thread is for people who want to be constructive.

For those who have seen the new MLP show, it definitely has its conflict (Nightmare Moon, Manticores, Hydras, etc). I don't think a straight D&D conversion would be a good idea though, as the adventures would be notably different. Wealth solely exists as a means to afford luxury goods, and unless greed is part of your personality, then you only seek out enough to maintain your character's standard of living.

Conflict resolution includes talking many times, and the killing is essentially never an option. Defeating a giant monster with brute force isn't going to happen. You have to use either psychological techniques (like berating it), distracting it long enough for something big enough to be used, or take advantage of its weak points. For example, they defeated the kaiju bear by realizing it was actually an Ursa Minor (baby giant bear beast) and it was rampaging because it was woken from its nap, so they just sung it a lullaby and gave it a bottle.

I have a few more ideas/contributions, but I don't have time to type it all out (errands and junk until tomorrow evening). I would love to hear ideas on an MLP RPG.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I endorse this project.

But I doubt that I will be any actual help.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The most developed diplomatic system I can think of is the one in Sundown. So use that as a chassis. Supernatural type and power source can be tattoo-based.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

This totally should have stayed a joke in the MPSIMS thread. :tongue:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

actually, After Sundown could work... You'd need to develop new magics, and you'd probably have vastly fewer types, but it could work. Though I think violence should be possible for those who want to play Rainbow Dash and yet still solve problems with "I hoof it in the face. Repeatedly."

edit:....is that supposed to be a SPIKE PONY!?
Last edited by Prak on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

This is a pretty early one that popped up on /co/ a while back:
http://puzzlesandponies.deviantart.com/ ... /#/d354jxv

And here's a somewhat grimdark'ed up one using the "Don't rest Your Head' rules
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd76 ... LPDRYH.png

Someone also made stat blocks of the pony races for Pathfinder:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?569 ... hell-Paizo

Also I'd think the Gurps Toon book would also work just fine. Maybe even Bunnies and Burrows, if you were just running earth ponies and low powered unicorns. But, all in all I think a rules light, MTP heavy rules set would work best for it.
Last edited by sake on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I have never seen an episode of MLP: Friendship is Magic. I have heard surprisingly good things about it however. From what I understand, almost every adventure involves ponies talking at enemies until they give up. Is that correct?

Under the circumstances, it seems like it would be a reasonable life goal to have a game where social "combat" would be the order of the day. Literally talking at people until they give up would be the entire point.

After Sundown has a good set of social maneuver options, but it still defaults to vague "awesomeness levels" upon getting results. You'd want instead to go to a "challenge round" setup, where each character their appeals or contentions in turn, and the total argument was shifted each round based on aggregate results and counters and such.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:I have never seen an episode of MLP: Friendship is Magic. I have heard surprisingly good things about it however. From what I understand, almost every adventure involves ponies talking at enemies until they give up. Is that correct?

Under the circumstances, it seems like it would be a reasonable life goal to have a game where social "combat" would be the order of the day. Literally talking at people until they give up would be the entire point.

After Sundown has a good set of social maneuver options, but it still defaults to vague "awesomeness levels" upon getting results. You'd want instead to go to a "challenge round" setup, where each character their appeals or contentions in turn, and the total argument was shifted each round based on aggregate results and counters and such.

-Username17
Ah, to appeal to that booming 9 year old girl aspiring lawyer demographic.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

FrankTrollman wrote: From what I understand, almost every adventure involves ponies talking at enemies until they give up. Is that correct?
There's at least a couple characters whose favorite problem solving method is slamming their hooves into the monster's face but it is a cartoon for little girls, so that has to always fail to actually do anything.

The only times they've had a monster of the week actually get talked to defeat normally involve the character with the semi-magical intimidation ability. The rest of time it's creative uses of magic and/or skills or the old 'trick person into defeating themselves' method, and once even a friendship powered magic rainbow death laser. Plus, it seems like the original direction the show's creator wanted for the show was more or less "Sailor Unicorn and the Pony Scouts" before it became more slice of life.

Besides, they're intelligent horses that can throw shit around with their minds, fly and control the weather. no reason they couldn't beat the hell of most anything that tried to start something.
Last edited by sake on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

sake wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: From what I understand, almost every adventure involves ponies talking at enemies until they give up. Is that correct?
There's at least a couple characters whose favorite problem solving method is slamming their hooves into the monster's face but it is a cartoon for little girls, so that has to always fail to actually do anything.

The only times they've had a monster of the week actually get talked to defeat normally involve the character with the semi-magical intimidation ability. The rest of time it's creative uses of magic and/or skills or the old 'trick person into defeating themselves' method, and once even a friendship powered magic rainbow death laser.
...why am I not watching this show!?
Last edited by Prak on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Prak_Anima wrote:
sake wrote:

The only times they've had a monster of the week actually get talked to defeat normally involve the character with the semi-magical intimidation ability. The rest of time it's creative uses of magic and/or skills or the old 'trick person into defeating themselves' method, and once even a friendship powered magic rainbow death laser.
...why am I not watching this show!?
Don't be a Bronie.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

FrankTrollman wrote:I have never seen an episode of MLP: Friendship is Magic.
Go watch it. Now. It's on Youtube. (I recommend starting with 1x07 - Dragonshy.)
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

NoDot wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:I have never seen an episode of MLP: Friendship is Magic.
Go watch it. Now. It's on Youtube. (I recommend starting with 1x07 - Dragonshy.)

... I'm actually surprised at how good this cartoon is.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The RPG?

Post by Sir Neil »

virgil wrote:For example, they defeated the kaiju bear by realizing it was actually an Ursa Minor (baby giant bear beast) and it was rampaging because it was woken from its nap, so they just sung it a lullaby and gave it a bottle.
That's adorable. I have to find that episode and have my soldiers watch it.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The episode with the Diamond Dogs is another good one, as are the first two which is the style closer to what Lauren Faust wanted to go. The execs have been pretty harsh on slice-of-life episodes, the Cutie Mark Crusaders in particular. Fortunately, the show has been popular enough with the ratings that they gave Faust free reign on the design of the second season, which is beautifully promising.

Nightmare Moon is essentially the season's only sentient/speaking villain that wasn't defeated via social combat, but she seems to follow the format closer to Sailor Moon villains (assumption here, as I never saw the show). And even with her, her motivation for being a villain is because she wanted to be as loved as her sister and took the "love through fear" route when she went bad.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Arioch wrote:... I'm actually surprised at how good this cartoon is.
And that's how eunuchs are made. :tongue:

Kidding, kidding. One day I'll probably have to suck it up and see what all the internet rage is about, but until then I'm going to keep acting like I have some dignity left (emphasis: acting).
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Any of you guys familiar with the system of Mouse Guard?

Both the good (and bad) parts of that system seems like it could fit the format of the show with some facelifting and reappropriation of some skills --most of the survival skills need to go, replaced with social interaction skills like bluffing and performance.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Also, even though I haven't seen even one MLP episode, being a fan of FIM would make me nowhere near as embarrassed as admitting that I'm a fan of Exalted, Star Trek: Voyager, or Yu-Gi-Oh. :omgno:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Ravengm
Knight

Post by Ravengm »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Yu-Gi-Oh. :omgno:
You are in good company, brother.
Random thing I saw on Facebook wrote:Just make sure to compare your results from Weapon Bracket Table and Elevator Load Composition (Dragon Magazine #12) to the Perfunctory Armor Glossary, Version 3.8 (Races of Minneapolis, pp. 183). Then use your result as input to the "DM Says Screw You" equation.
Hieronymous Rex
Journeyman

Post by Hieronymous Rex »

Double Post
Last edited by Hieronymous Rex on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hieronymous Rex
Journeyman

Post by Hieronymous Rex »

Ponycraft 2

While we're at it, Shaolin Showdown, Flapjack, and Adventure Time are good shows.
Last edited by Hieronymous Rex on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

MLP has very few things in the realm of dice rolls. On average there is only a single dice roll per episode (ie. Rainbowdash races, Twilight tries to cast a spell, Applejack throws a laso at something).

So for the most part you can just MTP it.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

But if you notice, in many of those episodes, there's little in the way of conflict. It's mostly 'slice of life' plotlines. In the more significant episodes, such as the Friendship is Magic two-parter, Dragonshy, Fall Weather Friends, & Dog and Pony Show; there's actually enough conflict to warrant a plurality of dice rolls. Those are the episodes to stick closer too.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Apparently, someone has already done this
http://sollitudialbacklash.pbworks.com/ ... and-Ponies

erik
King

Post by erik »

Ravengm wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:Yu-Gi-Oh. :omgno:
You are in good company, brother.
I used to enjoy watching and laughing at what a brazen cheater Yu-Gi is. Try that heart of the cards business in a serious poker game and you will be shitting your teeth out the next day.

Edit:
Oh and in case nobody guessed it. I has interest in dis! Like Josh I endorse but due to my current distractions will likely be of little value as assistance. Hell, am still trying to find time to flesh out my expanding awod sketches. =-(
Last edited by erik on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.