Monte Cook IS working on 5th edition...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

Monte Cook IS working on 5th edition...

Post by shadzar »

...from his house?

didnt he say he wasnt moving to WotC HQ, but calling stuff in?

http://www.dragonlanceforums.com/forums ... post491745
I've talked to friends of Monte's who are friends of mine and they all say, Yes, he's working on 5e!

Margaret [Weis]
http://krosch.hubpages.com/hub/montecook
What kind of new goodies are coming out from Malhavoc Press?

I'm working full time with Wizards of the Coast right now, so Malhavoc Press is on the back burner. Later, though, look for new stuff.

http://twitter.com/#!/MonteJCook
MonteJCook
Beautifiul day in Seattle!
8 Oct
Last edited by shadzar on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

When was the last time Margaret Weiss had any kind of inside word on D&D? The 90s? The 80s?
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

To be fair, you don't need to have "inside connections" to figure out the obvious.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

True or not, WHO CARES?
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Well, anyone who's even remotely considering buying a 4e hardcover book cares.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

@Doom

So, uh, how many people are we talking about exactly?

EDIT: It was a question to Doom. Whoops.
Last edited by Gx1080 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

TOZ wrote:True or not, WHO CARES?
4rries?
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I've heard that Merle Rasmussen is actually working on 6E. That's top secret, though.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Gx1080 wrote:@Orion

So, uh, how many people are we talking about exactly?
Huh? I haven't even posted in this thread.
K
King

Post by K »

Monte's articles haven't made me want to throw things at the computer screen, so I think my overall emotional response to this potential news is: "meh."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Can it really be any worse than 4e?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Prak_Anima wrote:Can it really be any worse than 4e?
everything thus far it seems he ha ignored the existence of 4th. and as we know those working on a new edition "forget" how to use a/all past editions since they are so caught up in the one they are working on.

yet at the same time it seems like Monte is looking at some good things in 4th, and some good things and 3rd as well.

but he wants to take those back to 2nd edition....

wasnt the things from 3rd built on 2nd edition anyway? so 3rd is wrong in the way it did things, but right to do them that way.

i dont think he knows what makes a good game anymore. and in the presence of HASBRO deciding how MUCH the system must earn...yeah it could easily be worse than 4th, or more dependent on some DDi5.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

shadzar wrote:so 3rd is wrong in the way it did things, but right to do them that way.
:roll:
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

That was a question to Doom. Ooops.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

hogarth wrote:I've heard that Merle Rasmussen is actually working on 6E. That's top secret, though.
Win. :)
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
K
King

Post by K »

Prak_Anima wrote:Can it really be any worse than 4e?
Well, if you combined the broken parts of 3e with the boring parts of 4e, that would be worse.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Heck if I know, but every hobby shop I've been to has a stack of 4e hardcovers, and sooner or later the prices are going to come down...buyer beware, and all that.
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Doom wrote:Heck if I know, but every hobby shop I've been to has a stack of 4e hardcovers, and sooner or later the prices are going to come down...buyer beware, and all that.
3rd edition may survive in the form of Pathfinder and the OGL in a way, otherwise it is mostly dead...

4th edition will NOT survive any length of time, as the DDi supplanted actual books, and the digital media will be removed at the time of a 5th edition or company transfer, etc.

but for those liking 4th... the downward prices might be a good thing...unless they follow to 5th.

also not with retro-clones, the prices of older editions books (including 3rd) has gone up a bit since 3rd removed them form publication, and the following PDF fiasco made NO other way to legally obtain copies.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

RobbyPants wrote:
TOZ wrote:True or not, WHO CARES?
4rries?
How many of those do we have around here?
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Well. geographically, quite a few.

But in this corner of the interwebs, I suppose you're right--nobody anymore.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

I predict 5E being announced at GenCon 2012 for a release in 2013. Anyone else's predictions?
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

4e's dropping sales require action. I predict Summer 2012 at the latest, with books available at Gencon 2012.

There will absolutely be something to buy in 5e by GenCon 2012. At least, that's what my crystal ball says.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

I don't think they'll have full books ready by Gencon, I'd expect there to be a Keep on the Shadowfell style mini-ruleset+adventure kit for it by then though.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

If we are lucky, we'll get a beta, not a full game. I say this because to make a game as good as 3e you'll need as much R&D as 3e. Which I don't think was shit out in 9-12 months. Unless they recycle or build on 3e, in which case 5e needs to be better than Pathfinder. I can imagine some of you think that will be automatic, but Cooke doesn't instill such confidence in me.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

i would say that WotC wouldn't do anything like the PDF Pazio did for Pathfinder beta, but right at the launch or right before it of 4th...there was that "leak" of the books, which could have easily been staged to compete with Paizo.