4e is out of ideas

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

FrankTrollman wrote:Well, it means that it needs to be set up in a way that it does not contradict the fluff. Wizard prepared spells are associated because there is an actual thing that has been prepared that is gone when it is used. You can't use it again because there isn't one left.
What happens if you try it anyways? Obviously, it doesn't work, but I don't remember seeing any consequences specified.
FrankTrollman wrote:4e Fighter powers claim that you have a limited number of openings or that you get tired or something. Which is superficially fine, but what happens when you haven't used it and you get hit by a giant fatigue effect that makes you barely able to walk?
What happens if you fail a Diplomacy check, say? There's no chart in the rules like --

%001: Your PC cuts a giant fart.
%002: Your PC has food on his face.
%003: Your PC accidentally said the word "unclefucker".
%100: Your PC is a fatty and has funny lips.

The obvious answer is "make up something plausible". I find that to be a perfectly satisfactory solution for 4E abilities as well; much better than some bullshit about fate pools or mojo or midichlorians or what have you.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

hogarth wrote:What happens if you try it anyways?
What happens if you try to drop a carton of milk that you aren't holding? Is this some sort of zen shit? With the "prepared spells" setup, there is no "try to cast it anyway". It's not even a parseable question. Casting a spell is "activating a spell you have prepared". If there's no prepared spell, what the fuck are you trying to activate?

-Username17
Finkin
1st Level

Post by Finkin »

FrankTrollman wrote:
hogarth wrote:What happens if you try it anyways?
What happens if you try to drop a carton of milk that you aren't holding? Is this some sort of zen shit? With the "prepared spells" setup, there is no "try to cast it anyway". It's not even a parseable question. Casting a spell is "activating a spell you have prepared". If there's no prepared spell, what the fuck are you trying to activate?

-Username17
I think a better way to phrase his argument would be "What happens if a Wizard who has already filled his prepared slots for the day, and then blew them all in 15 minutes, has plenty of time to prepare more?"

Is there any reason other than "because the rules say so" that he cannot? It is functionally the same deal with 4e powers.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

FrankTrollman wrote:With the "prepared spells" setup, there is no "try to cast it anyway". It's not even a parseable question. Casting a spell is "activating a spell you have prepared". If there's no prepared spell, what the fuck are you trying to activate?
What happens if you try to prepare more spells than you're capable of?
FrankTrollman wrote: Is this some sort of zen shit?
Apparently!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Finkin wrote:I think a better way to phrase his argument would be "What happens if a Wizard who has already filled his prepared slots for the day, and then blew them all in 15 minutes, has plenty of time to prepare more?"

Is there any reason other than "because the rules say so" that he cannot?
Uh... he can do that. It takes 9 hours to prepare more. If he has "plenty of time", then he can in fact prepare more spells. So I don't really know where you're going with that.

-Username17
Finkin
1st Level

Post by Finkin »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Finkin wrote:I think a better way to phrase his argument would be "What happens if a Wizard who has already filled his prepared slots for the day, and then blew them all in 15 minutes, has plenty of time to prepare more?"

Is there any reason other than "because the rules say so" that he cannot?
Uh... he can do that. It takes 9 hours to prepare more. If he has "plenty of time", then he can in fact prepare more spells. So I don't really know where you're going with that.

-Username17
I am going with the "it takes X time per spell level to prepare a spell for that slot" plus "the wizard has enough time (without resting) to prepare more spells, even though he just blew his load in a fight 5 minutes ago".

Now, why is the fact that per the rules, the Wizard cannot memorize more spells any less dissociative than a 4e Fighter being unable to perform another use of a power that he has already used up?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

hogarth wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:With the "prepared spells" setup, there is no "try to cast it anyway". It's not even a parseable question. Casting a spell is "activating a spell you have prepared". If there's no prepared spell, what the fuck are you trying to activate?
What happens if you try to carry more stuff than you're capable of carrying. I imagine, the same thing.
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

FrankTrollman wrote: 4e Fighter powers claim that you have a limited number of openings or that you get tired or something. Which is superficially fine, but what happens when you haven't used it and you get hit by a giant fatigue effect that makes you barely able to walk? Why can you still use it? Or what happens when your enemy is totally helpless but you've already used it up, why can't you find an opening on a dude who is literally lying there?

Yeah, you could put in some new fluff that covered all corner cases, but I have no idea what that fluff might be and neither does anyone else because in nearly three and a half years not one person has come up with a satisfactory answer that covers both extreme fatigue on the part of the fighter and total helplessness on the part of the fighter's target.
A 4E fighter encounter power can pretty much just be described as a trick that your enemies grow wise to. So you pull it off the first time and achieve something awesome, but try it again, and it's just a basic attack because it's something your opponents have adapted to.

As far as a daily, those are almost entirely metagame, though I still don't even feel like that's a bad thing, because giving fighters super strikes makes the game more fun, and really whether it's some kind of metagame ability where you create an opening in your foe or its some DBZ style Ki release, I really don't care. So long as it makes for a better game.

Fighters having limit breaks and ultimate moves makes for good stories and makes tactical combat more interesting.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

RobbyPants wrote:
hogarth wrote:
What happens if you try to carry more stuff than you're capable of carrying. I imagine, the same thing.
Exactly -- something vague along the lines of "you're just not strong enough/tough enough/skilled enough to do it". Why that's acceptable for carrying capacity and spell slots but not 4E daily/encounter powers beats the shit out of me. More importantly, it doesn't specify anything in the rules because there's a limited number of pages in the rulebook and trying to answer these kind of Zen bullshit questions ("derp derp midichlorians derp derp") is a waste of space.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Now, why is the fact that per the rules, the Wizard cannot memorize more spells any less dissociative than a 4e Fighter being unable to perform another use of a power that he has already used up?
Because "you must rest for eight hours and spend one hour preparing spells" is an objective criteria that the character can see and relate to and discuss. While "you must start a new encounter" is not. If the enemy is helpless, why can't it be a new encounter right now?

-Username17
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

FrankTrollman wrote: Because "you must rest for eight hours and spend one hour preparing spells" is an objective criteria that the character can see and relate to and discuss. While "you must start a new encounter" is not. If the enemy is helpless, why can't it be a new encounter right now?
Encounter powers are recovered after a short rest, not just because a new encounter started.
Last edited by Swordslinger on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finkin
1st Level

Post by Finkin »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Because "you must rest for eight hours and spend one hour preparing spells" is an objective criteria that the character can see and relate to and discuss. While "you must start a new encounter" is not. If the enemy is helpless, why can't it be a new encounter right now?

-Username17
I understand your point now. I was comparing daily powers to spell slots. You were thinking in terms of encounter powers vs. spell slots.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

hogarth wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:
hogarth wrote: What happens if you try to prepare more spells than you're capable of?
Exactly -- something vague along the lines of "you're just not strong enough/tough enough/skilled enough to do it". Why that's acceptable for carrying capacity and spell slots but not 4E daily/encounter powers beats the shit out of me. More importantly, it doesn't specify anything in the rules because there's a limited number of pages in the rulebook and trying to answer these kind of Zen bullshit questions ("derp derp midichlorians derp derp") is a waste of space.
I was misunderstanding you. I thought you were complaining about 3E Vancian as not making sense in-game.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Okay, so in last night's session, we had to rescue a child from a gang of kidnappers holed up in an abandoned warehouse. We're 2nd level, and the MC has houseruled most enemies to have fewer than listed HP and done a few odd stat changes as he's adapting a 3.5 module. We have two players missing due to job and family, so it's just my Beat Cleric, the Wizard and the Ranger. The MC might have adjusted HP on the 6 enemies downwards to compensate for out party being at 3/5ths.

We manage to spot their rooftop lookout, Ivan the Smellable before he spots us - we position to ambush him, and the ranger gets an ugly twin strike + hunter's quarry crit to finish him in one round. He was at the edge of a 15' rooftop there, so if the MC had given him 4e standard HP, he mighta lived and forced movement one square forward or sideways would have mattered, either dropping him prone or making him take 1d10 falling and landing prone right in front of my cleric. 2-3 rounds of climbing up onto the rooftop and sneaking later everyone has gotten up and across the roof and my cleric climbs down the ladder into the inner courtyard while the ranger and wizard are still above looking for targets to shoot, Backstab Steve is hidden, but fails to live up to his name and Purple-Cloaked Wormy bursts from one of the three courtyard doors and misses with a javelin. The Ranger misses purple cloak, who is standing in the middle of a courtyard and misses, but 1 point of forced movement could not possibly have mattered even if he had hit. The Wizard gets a magic missile into Backstab Steve, and if he would have been able to slide him into the one adjacent square not occupied by my character, a wall or the ladder, then that would have negated the cover Backstab Steve had against the Ranger - which would have been irrelevant as I shift one square into that space to prevent any potential flanking and proceed to get a fullblade crit on the already wounded Backstab Steve, dropping him. Now if I would have had a power that would have allowed a push or shift 1, I might have had increased options here, since I could have theoretically moved either Backstab Steve or Wormy to where they wouldn't have gotten OAs if I had decided to rush the open door - but even then, pounding on the wounded guy closest to the wizard likely would have been my choice. Wormy and Hexy-Rexy then proceed to entertain by using some sort of shot-on-the-run ability to run between two of the doors, throwing javelins and hexes at my cleric from the middile of the courtyard and then ducking inside to block LoS from the rooftop Wizard and Ranger - I waste some turns on movement+total defense and movement+Sanctuary + Healing Word of the day ("Felonius") while the wizard and ranger attempt to position to deal with this. The ranger manages to tag Wormy as he's lurking just inside a doorway with quarry+Hunter's Bear Trap and deal enough damage that he decides to leave the fight (we find him later dead from the ongoing 5) reduced HP aside, any sort of forced movement just wouldn't have mattered here since the wizard and ranger were working different sides of the roof which surrounded the courtyard and it would have taken 3 or more squares to get the wizard LoS and about 6-8 squares to get him into my melee range. Around here, Nicky the Ell and his Half-Orc enforcer Boggs show up brandishing the hostage as a human shield and attempt to escape out the gate we avoided having to unlock or break on our way in. The Wizard does the useful thing and throws a Sleep at all of them - sliding any of them a single square would be meaningless here - but he hits the hostage and Nicky. Boggs gets the gate open, Nicky gets the kid the 2 squares to the gate and then fails his save, passing out. The kid also fails his save. The Ranger takes a move, and quarry and Proceeds to roll 1 point shy of max damage on two-fanged strike, and the 30 points of damage puts Boggs down before he can grab the kid. Even if it hadn't the only thing 1 square of forced movement would have done is slide him inside or outside the open gate - and it's not like anyone was watching from the street so irrelevant. My cleric gets to pull off a Kool-Aid Man through the flimsy walls of the ramshackle structure and hit Hexy with a Healing Strike - I roll crappy damage, but he surrenders, and a single square of forced movement wouldn't have mattered because unless I had the ability to transpose him with my character and then shift him one, neither the wizzy nor the ranger have LoS.

So eight attacks made by PCs - one where a pull:1 or slide:1 would have been very meaningful except the target died before it would have resolved. A second attack where a slide:1 could have negated cover relative to another PC - except the target did not live until that PC's next action. And a third where having a push, pull or slide:1 on the menu would have expanded my tactical options, but probably not into an option I would have taken. Optimistically, that's 1 out of 8 for Push:1 mattering at all. Optimistically, that's 3 out of 8 for Slide:1 mattering at all. Realistically, that's 0 for 8, putting a single square of forced movement in a race with the 2011 Indianapolis Colts for futility.

On one hand we hand some lucky damage rolls and the fight very much went our way and the enemies had only like 1st level 4e HP (or less) so forced movement probably mattered a bit less than it could have in a more standard 4e game. On the other hand, this was a fight with a rooftop that varied between 2 or 3 squares wide, a ladder that occupied a single square an acted as a chokepoint, three doors and enemies set up to use shot-on-the-run to pop between them and a courtyard gate serving as a 2-square chokepoint - so the terrain was more meaningful than the average 4e game. And those probably average out. I'll keep you posted for future sessions, but there's unlikely to be another one until after the holidaze.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Holy wall of text....
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

FrankTrollman wrote:Because "you must rest for eight hours and spend one hour preparing spells" is an objective criteria that the character can see and relate to and discuss. While "you must start a new encounter" is not. If the enemy is helpless, why can't it be a new encounter right now?
4e PHB page 54 wrote: Encounter Powers
An encounter power can be used once per encounter. You need to take a short rest (page 263) before you can use one again.
4e PHB page 263 wrote: SHORT REST
  • Duration: A Short rest is about 5 minutes long.
The argument that "4e encounter powers are disassociated, but Vancian casting isn't" only works in one of two ways:
  1. Characters can comprehend that it takes 8 hours to rest before preparing Vancian spells for an hour but cannot comprehend individual powers working on a 5 minute recharge timer
  2. Characters can comprehend that it takes exactly 8 hours rest and exactly one hour to prepare Vancian spells, but cannot comprehend that powers work on a recharge timer that is only about 5 minutes and not exact
I'll give you that the 4e books use a lot of unneeded text and waste a pointer and go out of their way to allow MC handwaving instead of just saying "once per 5 minutes, interruptions reset this", but a recharge time mechanic is a recharge time mechanic, and no matter what the duration nor the number of powers recharging, they are all equally associated or all equally disassociated.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Kablack wrote:but a recharge time mechanic is a recharge time mechanic, and no matter what the duration nor the number of powers recharging, they are all equally associated or all equally disassociated.
WTF? I really don't want to do another another associated vs disassociated mechanic thread (especially not over the relative value of each), but that is just plain 2=1 wrong. You are not using those words correctly.

An associated mechanic is any mechanic that characters understand in the way it functions in the game world. As in, Vancian magic says you spend eight hours resting and one hour preparing, and the wizard PC thinks "I need a full night's rest and an hour of mental preparation." That is associated.

A dissociated mechanic is any mechanic that characters understand in a way different than how it functions in the game world. As in, a move on a cooldown timer, but the PC thinks, "Ah-hah! There's an opening! Now I can use my special move!" That is dissociated.

See the difference? 4e's encounter/daily recharge timers are only associated if PC's actually understand that they're on a recharge timer and that's how their powers fucking work. But the fluff for many of the martial powers is explicitly not about cooldown timers, it is about martial prowess and situational usage. Rogue is especially bad about this. To get an associated mechanic, you have to be able to explain the rules of the game coherently in terms of facts about the world of the PC's. Having that discussion with the rogue in 4e is impossible, because you are saying "it's a cooldown timer" and he is saying "no, I saw a opening."

Now, you can associate any mechanic. You can fluff 4e so all the PC's understand they're in a game and the rules just work that way. Voila, the mechanic is associated. But that's not satisfying. And that is the problem; there aren't a lot of satisfying explanations that associate both 4e mechanics with the game world they occur in. Arcane and divine are much easier to associate. Magic is magic, you can bullshit about any explanation you want. If they restrained themself to muscle fatigue/combat focus fatigue, the martials would be a lot more believable too.

tl;dr
Kablack wrote:can comprehend... but cannot comprehend...
That should be "do comprehend" and "but do not comprehend."
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

DSMatticus wrote: Now, you can associate any mechanic. You can fluff 4e so all the PC's understand they're in a game and the rules just work that way. Voila, the mechanic is associated. But that's not satisfying. And that is the problem; there aren't a lot of satisfying explanations that associate both 4e mechanics with the game world they occur in. Arcane and divine are much easier to associate. Magic is magic, you can bullshit about any explanation you want. If they restrained themself to muscle fatigue/combat focus fatigue, the martials would be a lot more believable too.
The problem is that fatigue would require a magic point system basically, and point systems (as evident by D&D psionics) just don't end up well. It leads to move spamming and generally a boring game.

I think most people can live with a little dissociation if it leads to better combats and tells better stories.
Last edited by Swordslinger on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Swordslinger wrote:The problem is that fatigue would require a magic point system basically
That's not really true. There's no reason to assume that the 'resources' a person actually uses to perform their abilities are uniform and exchangeable. No matter how much I walk, my arms don't get sore. People in real life don't have a stamina bar that goes to every physical purpose, so this sort of per-ability cooldown abstraction is passingly consistent without adding any additional information to the game world. The characters can understand their ability-specific cooldowns without anybody calling bullshit (which is an issue of verisimilitude more than association, mind).
Swordslinger wrote:I think most people can live with a little dissociation if it leads to better combats and tells better stories.
I don't really want to have a discussion about which is better, but I would like to point out that a dissociated mechanic generates events about which you cannot actually tell a single story. A dissociated mechanic generates an event for which there are at least two different perspectives; the player and the character, in this case. That's two stories; the story about how you saved your last encounter power until you could move into position to blast the boss with it, and the story about how the boss dropped his guard as you stepped up to him and gave you the opportunity to use that encounter power.

I would find it genuinely bothersome how difficult it is to recap an 'awesome combat moment' is in 4e to a friend, because that thing you're describing that you did isn't actually what happened in the story. <pointless 4e jab>Thankfully, 4e never produces awesome combats, so this isn't a problem.</pointless 4e jab>
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Swordslinger wrote: A 4E fighter encounter power can pretty much just be described as a trick that your enemies grow wise to. So you pull it off the first time and achieve something awesome, but try it again, and it's just a basic attack because it's something your opponents have adapted to.
Which explains why you can't reuse those tricks when you're invisible or the enemy is helpless. Oh wait, it doesn't.

There are ways to make "I saw an opening" work. Decks of cards or maneuver comparison charts or something. But charges are charges, and don't actually feel like you took an advantage of a transient opening.

-Username17
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

DSMatticus wrote: That's not really true. There's no reason to assume that the 'resources' a person actually uses to perform their abilities are uniform and exchangeable. No matter how much I walk, my arms don't get sore. People in real life don't have a stamina bar that goes to every physical purpose, so this sort of per-ability cooldown abstraction is passingly consistent without adding any additional information to the game world. The characters can understand their ability-specific cooldowns without anybody calling bullshit (which is an issue of verisimilitude more than association, mind).
Generally for fatigue, people will question why each attack they have has a separate cooldown that doesn't affect each other.

It's one thing for a run power to have a separate cooldown from power strike, but why smashing blow and power strike have separate cool down timers is going to be a question for everyone. And even if you use Ki, you're still going to have those same issues.
I don't really want to have a discussion about which is better, but I would like to point out that a dissociated mechanic generates events about which you cannot actually tell a single story.
Well no. By nature of being dissociative, it never actually enters the story. The fact that you can only use covering strike once means that your character only uses it once. You never really even have to get into why you didn't do that, only that you didn't.

And that's to prevent spamming. If your ultimate attack was Exploding heart palm strike, you're going to keep using that until the game says you can't anymore. And that tells garbage stories where the guy just spams a one move strategy.

Ultimately we're not worried about how you get there, only what the end product looks like. Dissociative mechanics don't necessarily produce a bad end product, the only drawback is that it can bother players from a simulationist standpoint because the system feels too gamist.

I would find it genuinely bothersome how difficult it is to recap an 'awesome combat moment' is in 4e to a friend, because that thing you're describing that you did isn't actually what happened in the story.
I don't see where you're getting that from. Encounter/daily powers relate to what's happening in the story, they just leave the question of "why doesn't he always use that?"

But since you never actually try to use it a second time, as far as the story is concerned, the usage limits are not even considered in storytelling. Whether you believe it's because of fatigue, lack of openings or that the enemy had grown wise to the trick, it really doesn't matter. Because from the storytelling point, nobody really knows necessarily that that strike is the best for the job. That exists only in the gamist reality.

It's also interesting to note that modeling something cinematic doesn't always end up with something realistic. For instance to try to achieve cinematic quality fights where you have surprising comebacks, it actually means you benefit from having people fight as good or better than usual when they're hurt. Obviously from a reality standpoint this makes little sense, because getting hurt slows you down.

FrankTrollman wrote: Which explains why you can't reuse those tricks when you're invisible or the enemy is helpless. Oh wait, it doesn't.
For helpless enemies go, I don't know why you'd really care, a CdG is a CdG and how you ended up finishing him off is just a matter of flavor anyway. For invisibility, it doesn't make sense, but really that's because invisibility in D&D isn't considered to be nearly as powerful as it should be. Being unseen in a real fight is a tremendous advantage, and it's just a game balance concern that it shouldn't be even more powerful than it already is.

But granted, it's not a great explanation, but like I said, who cares. Your goal is simply to find a simple system to stop people from spamming the same move. You're absolutely right that it doesn't hold up to nitpicking, but neither do hit point damage or the turn based combat, but we have those because it makes for a better game.

I could go on about how it's a big deal that you can end up moving an object very rapidly with a group of people in a line using the round structure. But it's really not. You just say, "Yeah that's kinda dumb" and move on.

Dissociative, yeah. But hardly a big deal.
There are ways to make "I saw an opening" work. Decks of cards or maneuver comparison charts or something. But charges are charges, and don't actually feel like you took an advantage of a transient opening.
That does work, the main problem is that you tend to make the game too complex with that. Game design is all about balance. My main complaint against deck systems and charts is that they get too complicated, especially for a DM who is trying to run multiple monsters. Each goblin can't have its own separate hand of cards.
Last edited by Swordslinger on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Swordslinger wrote:
That does work, the main problem is that you tend to make the game too complex with that. Game design is all about balance. My main complaint against deck systems and charts is that they get too complicated, especially for a DM who is trying to run multiple monsters. Each goblin can't have its own separate hand of cards.
This is the crux of the problem with martial powers. The reason that people don't just spam the same attack in real fight situations is because the most important thing in defeating an enemy is to remain unpredictable, however modelling a series of thrusts and parries to give a chance of using each strike is way too complicated for tabletop. This leads to simplified game mechanics that in many situations don't reflect what is happening in the game.

With magic you don't have this issue. Magic works how you say it works. So does magic in D&D work on a complicated sequence of rising and falling magical energies tied to the phases of the moon? No, it uses a simple, easily monitored system that is configured for game balance (or so the original designers thought).

If you want to have martial characters using the same type of powers as spellcasters, you have to either use a more complicated system, accept that the rules will not match the fluff, or tie martial powers to some kind of made up power source that works how you want it to. If martial characters can do superhuman stuff with Chi energy which flares up in times of stress (rage meter), or is expended and takes time to recover (cooldown) then it makes sense in game and there's no dissociation.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I think it's absolutely hilarious that Frank can come up with a list of reasons as long as your arm as to why you wouldn't be able to perform the same move twice in a row when it comes to his pet system "Winds of Fate", and yet he suddenly develops a mysterious catastrophic creativity meltdown when it comes to 4E's maneuvers.

:rofl:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

hogarth wrote:I think it's absolutely hilarious that Frank can come up with a list of reasons as long as your arm as to why you wouldn't be able to perform the same move twice in a row when it comes to his pet system "Winds of Fate", and yet he suddenly develops a mysterious catastrophic creativity meltdown when it comes to 4E's maneuvers.

:rofl:
Uh... that is because WoF is a situational availability system. The answer to "why can't you use any move you want when the enemy isn't fighting back?" is "you totally can, so the question has no meaning". The answer to "why can't I use the maneuver again if there's an opening for the maneuver again?" is again "you totally can, so the question has no meaning".

WoF models openings in combat and behaves like openings in combat. If the opening comes up again, you can use the maneuver again. If I was claiming that WoF modeled running out of charges or something, then that would be dissociated and retarded - because there wouldn't be an explanation for why the charges were coming back later on. But I'm not.

4e hands us charges and asks us to treat it like it was something that represents openings in combat. But it does not do that. Your resource management system needs to represent something if you're going to use it in storytelling.

-Username17
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

FrankTrollman wrote:WoF models openings in combat and behaves like openings in combat. If the opening comes up again, you can use the maneuver again.
FrankTrollman wrote:Which explains why you can't reuse those tricks when you're invisible or the enemy is helpless. Oh wait, it doesn't.
Priceless!
Last edited by hogarth on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.