General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

Most D&D Clerics are polytheists

Post by shadzar »

pol·y·the·ism /ˈpäliTHēˌizəm/
Noun:
The belief in or worship of more than one god.
in D&D there is most often a pantheon of deities, and as such the deities have interacted with each other, and their stories are related to their clerics. therefore they must believe their own deities words that state that other deities exist.

whether they worship more than one is moot, so long as they acknowledge the existence of at least a second one, then they are participating in polytheism.

some deiteis may purposefully withhold the fact that their are others and try to prevent such information to their clerics, or even undermine the position of other deities. those clerics are being deluded through falsehoods. they are monotheistic as long as they are kept in the dark, but at the point they find out otherwise, their views can easily change or remain the same depending on their choice.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Shadz - you're thinking of monolatrism, where you believe in the mere existence of multiple gods but feel only one is worthy of your attention.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

nope, polytheism. as exists in the world today with Christianity, Buddhism, etc.
wikipedia wrote:Monolatry is distinguished from henotheism, which consistently worships one god without denying that other persons can with equal validity worship different gods.
what you are talking about would mean the pantheon exists, but EVERYONE only worships one of the gods.

D&D is more henotheism
wikiipedia wrote:Polytheists do not always worship all the gods equally, but can be Henotheists, specializing in the worship of one particular deity. Other polytheists can be Kathenotheists, worshipping different deities at different times.
either way, the presence of many gods is still within monolatrism as it also is a PART of polytheism.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

If the gods actually demonstrably exist, you don't "believe" in them.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Definition of BELIEVE

intransitive verb

1a: to have a firm religious faith b: to accept something as true, genuine, or real <ideals we believe in> <believes in ghosts>

2: to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something <believe in exercise>

3: to hold an opinion : think <I believe so>
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Yeah, 1b doesn't require anything about squinting real hard and clasping your hands real tight and BELIEVING YOUR HEART OUT without evidence. The whole "It's not belief if you have a good reason" meme is asinine.
-JM
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

It really isn't.

Note that even 1b is a statement of opinion. "I believe x is true" is simply stating whether you have personally accepted the truth value of a statement. You can still say "I believe Pelor is real" in a situation where you have met him face-to-face, but that's honestly kind of silly. If something is demonstrably true by the standards of a reasonable person (i.e., not a solipsist or "philosophical skeptic") you would say "I know x is true." The word "believe" is only used either when the verifiable truth of the statement is in question or someone is expressing a personal opinion (in which case the truth value of the claim is not generally in question).
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.