Total Eclipse RPG

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Total Eclipse RPG

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Disrupted_ ... _page.html

I saw this being advertised on the Shrapnel Games forums, and when I realized it was a Tabletop RPG with spells, adventurers, etc., I became mildly curious. Does anybody have an idea whether Total Eclipse is worth a look?

Some of the key selling points seem to be
♦ Unique morale hit point system allows realistic combat resolutions, not endless grinding.
♦ Emphasis on role-playing instead of a tactical board game that just happens to have some RPG mechanics tacked on.
♦ Micro-advancement leveling. Constant minor advances allows a sloping level of power, instead of the usual flat plane and sudden spikes.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

PDF only? Specials formated for eBook readers?
RPG's I want in hardcover format.

If somebody bougth it, how does it read on an iPhone? On an Kindle?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

All three of it's selling points look like extremely shitty bullshit that makes me hate it, so I'm going to say, "Probably not worth a look."
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Kaelik wrote:All three of it's selling points look like extremely shitty bullshit that makes me hate it, so I'm going to say, "Probably not worth a look."
Well, the last just seems like Shadowrun style advancement to me, so I can totally see that one.
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

The Standard Manual wrote:Over time the bliss of the early RPGs began to fade. Rulebooks began to look like textbooks on advanced statistical analysis. Role-playing turned to roll-playing. The rule lawyers, munchkins, and mix-maxers began to dominate.
Total Eclipse confirmed for Dungeons & Shadtards.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Previn wrote:Well, the last just seems like Shadowrun style advancement to me, so I can totally see that one.
If I wanted to play Shadowrun, I'd play Shadowrun, because it has legitimately good things going on, but when I see "micro-advancment" in a fantasy dungeoncrawler I hear (You level four times as often, and you get +1 to some shitty thing every time you level. You get this instead of being able to cast a new cool spell, because that would be OPed for a micro advancement, and you can't macro advance, because then you'd be not micro advancing.)

Basically, I see "Your stone shape effects 5 more ft^3 of volume" instead of "you can cast wall of stone."

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Kaelik wrote:
Previn wrote:Well, the last just seems like Shadowrun style advancement to me, so I can totally see that one.
If I wanted to play Shadowrun, I'd play Shadowrun, because it has legitimately good things going on, but when I see "micro-advancment" in a fantasy dungeoncrawler I hear (You level four times as often, and you get +1 to some shitty thing every time you level. You get this instead of being able to cast a new cool spell, because that would be OPed for a micro advancement, and you can't macro advance, because then you'd be not micro advancing.)

Basically, I see "Your stone shape effects 5 more ft^3 of volume" instead of "you can cast wall of stone."
I never saw a fantasy game where the advancement is that bullshit actually. Not sure if this is hyperbole or what.

Dark Heresy uses a "microadvance" system that sort of works. You have levels, and you gain levels by spending XP on advances. Once you spend X number of XP you level, which opens up another 20 or 30 options to spend XP on. The list is cumulative, so at level 5 you can buy advances in levels 1-5.

It works fine splitting things up that way, because the psyker gets one major uber power per level and 3 minor powers per level, and they can be bought at any time. Learning an entire class of weapons or training in a skill is usually 1-200 xp, and you get 2-300 xp per session. So each session you get a tangible reward usually. Most things cost 500 or less.

The down side is twofold. One, paperwork is HORRIBLE. I eventually broke down and printed lists of all the advancements for each character, and the players use a highlighter and highlight what they've bought. I was prompted to do this when I did some math on a couple of characters and realized that they had like 1000 xp spent in doubling and tripling up on advancements they had already bought.

Second problem is decision paralysis. Throw in shit like contacts, and at level 5 the average character has somewhere around 120 skills, talents, buffs, and other options to spend experience in. It can make leveling slow.

Otherwise, it does work. Nobody feels like they have a stagnant character at least.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

TheFlatline wrote:I never saw a fantasy game where the advancement is that bullshit actually. Not sure if this is hyperbole or what.
Allow me to rephrase slightly:

When I hear in a sales pitch about how someone's game is new/better than existing games "it has microadvancement" right after I hear about how they are about role playing not roll playing, I hear "Our game is a piece of shit that doesn't let you have nice things."

I'm not saying that micro-advancement as a thing is bad, just that they way it was phrased in that sails pitch is clearly retarded.

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

In general, the biggest selling point of the game appears to be a bunch of market-speak which states nothing concrete. I smell 4rries.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I rather like the idea of having formalized morale leading to "defeats" rather than having all fights be defacto "to the death". That is a positive thing that I would hope all fantasy games would do moving forward.

But most of the rest of the gibbering is just annoying market speak. I am filled with trepidation over the fact that they proclaim proudly that they have nine racial variants of human. Because that sounds very racist.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I decided to get the cheapest of the 3 PDFs so I could check out this "morale hit point" thing. At first glance, it is rather disappointing. Morale is a second health bar. Some things do Morale damage, and "The adventurer has to flee or cower if their Morale falls below zero." This doesn't look like it does anything to make enemy groups surrender at vaguely appropriate times. It may encourage people to focus-fire their capabilities on particular colors of health bar, but I was hoping for something more sophisticated.

I'll read through the full (small) PDF tomorrow and see if my impressions change.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I still like the notion of a Willpower health bar and a Stamina health bar. Morale could certainly be another term for the Willpower stat. Doesn't sound like how they are using it here tho.

Incorporating morale checks at certain damage thresholds to either bar wouldn't be a horrible notion, and possibly at certain squad-loss thresholds as well.

I do hate the 'to the death' meme that is common in D&D. I sometimes would try to make characters who would use subdual and repeatedly proffer for enemy surrender, and almost never did I have a DM allowing opponents to accept rather than fighting to the death.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

A less sleepy look, and this system looks seriously terrible. You get XP for rolling well, can spend 10 XP to level up, and levels range from 1 to 200.

I now kind of regret buying book 1 of this game when I could have spent that money on a loaf of bread instead.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Why not ask for a refund then?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

FrankTrollman wrote:I am filled with trepidation over the fact that they proclaim proudly that they have nine racial variants of human. Because that sounds very racist.

-Username17
Doesn't have to be, if they just break down and admit that there's no reason why minotaurs, elves, dwarves, tieflings, etc.. don't technically count as 'human'.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

ishy wrote:Why not ask for a refund then?
The answer is quite simple.
dkfather
1st Level

Post by dkfather »

FrankTrollman wrote:I rather like the idea of having formalized morale leading to "defeats" rather than having all fights be defacto "to the death". That is a positive thing that I would hope all fantasy games would do moving forward.

But most of the rest of the gibbering is just annoying market speak. I am filled with trepidation over the fact that they proclaim proudly that they have nine racial variants of human. Because that sounds very racist.

-Username17
The addition of new methods of defeating enemies is important for a role playing game that has an emphasis on game master story telling. Not every fight has to end with the total death of the enemy or the good guys. The bad guys run away, and maybe you do to. It also adds a new tactical dimensions - the players can fight to cause the enemy to flee - a far better idea when you are in a bar fight and do not want the guard to come down hard and heavy on your enterprise.

The main problem with this idea is adding complexity to the game.

As for racism by offering different races, I have never heard of this but I am willing to entertain the theory if I understood it better. Can you expand on this thought?
dkfather
1st Level

Post by dkfather »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:A less sleepy look, and this system looks seriously terrible. You get XP for rolling well, can spend 10 XP to level up, and levels range from 1 to 200.

I now kind of regret buying book 1 of this game when I could have spent that money on a loaf of bread instead.
You actually get XP for more than this. Doing well on a Skill attempt is one of four ways to gain XP. Progressing a mission by combat or trickery, defeating a designated key adversary (a "boss") and falling below 0 on Health, Conscious, or Morale are also ways of gaining experience. The idea of experience in the game is based on the life points, a concept that can be traced to middle ages Germany to describe victories and losses on the path to experience.
dkfather
1st Level

Post by dkfather »

erik wrote:I still like the notion of a Willpower health bar and a Stamina health bar. Morale could certainly be another term for the Willpower stat. Doesn't sound like how they are using it here tho.

Incorporating morale checks at certain damage thresholds to either bar wouldn't be a horrible notion, and possibly at certain squad-loss thresholds as well.

I do hate the 'to the death' meme that is common in D&D. I sometimes would try to make characters who would use subdual and repeatedly proffer for enemy surrender, and almost never did I have a DM allowing opponents to accept rather than fighting to the death.
The game has Health, Morale, and Conscious, and also Wound State. Health loss leads to death. Morale loss leads to breaking and flight or cowering. Consciousness leads to being knocked out. Wound state is the final measure of long term damage or illness that negatively effects the adventurer and can be reduced from disease, serious wounding without enough time to heal, lack of good food, lack of sleep, or exposure.

In play testing characters would only rarely die outright, and would also rarely kill their enemies - usually only in times of high drama.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

dkfather wrote: As for racism by offering different races, I have never heard of this but I am willing to entertain the theory if I understood it better. Can you expand on this thought?
Like giving black humans more strength, yellow humans more logic, red humans more wisdom etc.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Fuchs wrote:
dkfather wrote: As for racism by offering different races, I have never heard of this but I am willing to entertain the theory if I understood it better. Can you expand on this thought?
Like giving black humans more strength, yellow humans more logic, red humans more wisdom etc.
Doesn't Skyrim do that?
dkfather
1st Level

Post by dkfather »

Fuchs wrote:
I understand. That does not appear anywhere in the game so I would not know how to respond to it.

The game does recognize three branches of the Oldari race based on how close they live to a source of spiritual energy, but the branches are social rather than genetic - the children of one branch born into a setting that created a second branch results in an Oldari with the characteristics of their birth setting.
dkfather
1st Level

Post by dkfather »

OgreBattle wrote:
Fuchs wrote:
Doesn't Skyrim do that?
Many games do. In Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Humans from the three different continents can differ more from each other than from different races on the same continent. Total Eclipse does not, except for the one exception of the Oldari.
Last edited by dkfather on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dkfather
1st Level

Post by dkfather »

Just as an aside, if anyone has questions about the game (other than hater screeds, of which I am sure everyone knows about) I would be happy to answer them with real answers from the books. Usually the beta test team answers most stuff by e-mail, but those answers rarely get widely spread around.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

dkfather wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:A less sleepy look, and this system looks seriously terrible. You get XP for rolling well, can spend 10 XP to level up, and levels range from 1 to 200.

You actually get XP for more than this. Doing well on a Skill attempt is one of four ways to gain XP. Progressing a mission by combat or trickery, defeating a designated key adversary (a "boss") and falling below 0 on Health, Conscious, or Morale are also ways of gaining experience. The idea of experience in the game is based on the life points, a concept that can be traced to middle ages Germany to describe victories and losses on the path to experience.
The problem with rewarding people long-term for rolling well is that you encourage them to roll for every minor thing possible. If jumping is a skill, you are mechanically incentivized to play like this is is Elder Scrolls and hold down the jump button with a rock, then go to sleep till next morning.

Let's say you crit and gain 1 XP when you roll 2 6s on 2d6. That means 1/36 times, you gain an experience points. If you just keep doing the same 1-round thing over and over again, you gain a level in 360 rounds.

It's the Elf Farming D&D problem, but writ much larger.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.