David Hill is designing a new game...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak_Anima wrote:I haven't seen the adventure in question, but from what I've heard, I think calling him a neo-nazi may be a bit strong. It comes off as more of a "poorly thought out idea" thing.

Of course, again, I haven't seen the adventure in question.
If you want to know what kind of work might be available in Marienbad, you need to start with two native powers—the Romani and the warlords. You also need to remember that if you’re looking to set people against each other, one of the easiest ways to do it is to stoke the ever-smoldering fi re of racial resentment. It’s not only about not liking elves or orks—there’s plenty of the old-fashioned kind of racism, where people don’t like someone whose skin is a few shades different from their own. From a societal point of view, that fear can be destructive. From the working-to-promote-violence point of view, it’s gold. See, there’s still a lot of old beliefs about who the Romani are or aren’t, and it isn’t hard to get a grudgingly acceptant population to remember their old hatreds. So on one mission, we go in there and start spreading rumors. We suggest that a sickness that’s going around and making a lot of Czechs miserable is coming out of the Romani camps. Then we hint that the Romani are deliberately weakening their fellow countrymen so they can move in on the magical ore under the ground and steal away the only chance the locals have for fame and fortune. We point out when there are attacks on livestock—attacks that probably came from wolves, but we tell them it looks suspicious. We don’t have to be right, we just have to be believable.

So we do this work, and make it so people don’t like the Romani, but that’s nothing really new. If we want real tension, we need to make both sides angry. Luckily for us, the Romani are insular and kind of secretive. I realized I could stage some attacks inside the camps, and easily make them think its coming from the Czechs, and they won’t go complaining about it. No, they’ll just stage their own silent retaliations.
That's from the intro to the Marienbad Council bit. It's a first person account of someone committing terrorist acts to whip up Neo-Nazi sympathies. There is no distance or condemnation of this piece anywhere in the book.
WORK BRINGS FREEDOM
Oświęcim was under a spiritual barrier for a number of years. Oświęcim was home to Auschwitz-Birkenau, the most well known of the Nazi party’s concentration camps. During the Holocaust, 1.1 million people died within its walls. This led it to become one of the most haunted places on the planet. Ghosts of all shapes and sizes dwelled within, frightening out or murdering all residents of Oświęcim. Because of the sheer magnitude of the haunting, a great number of other things found home there.

For the inclined occult investigator, Auschwitz-Birkenau is a treasure trove. It’s also a remarkably dangerous trap. Earlier this year, an entrepreneur named Tetsuo Shuumatsu hired a cabal of sorcerers, charging them with the removal of the barrier. He’s an arms dealer, one who specializes in the weapons necessary to take down ghosts. With such an infestation of ghosts, only a silly buyer would hesitate to pay top dollar for his wares. His greed opened this treasure trove to the public, allowing those without a sense of self-preservation to have a unique opportunity to drudge for necromantic artifacts.

The town proper is effectively still a town, albeit a town inhabited by the angry and hungry dead. They don’t take kindly to the living, but aren’t necessarily hostile unless provoked. Many are simply living out echoes of their past existences as harmless villagers. The real problem comes from the concentration camps proper. The three main campuses are surrounded by about fifty smaller camps. Each of the smaller camps is a hotbed of supernatural activity, but nothing compared to the magnitude of the central collective.

In particular, Auschwitz II is remarkable. It was the source of the vast majority of deaths—it’s what most people think of when referencing Auschwitz. It’s nightmare made flesh, almost a living organism unto itself. The halls audibly scream and cry, the ghosts beg for release so much that most people couldn’t even hear themselves speak. For your average runner, Auschwitz II is suicide. Only the most enterprising groups will survive the trip. But such a trip can result in great rewards (see The Fleshfinder, below).

THE FLESHFINDER
Deep within the bowels of Auschwitz II during WWII, Dr. Eduard Wirths conducted and supervised thousands of odd experiments on the human body. He tested mustard gas on innocents. He mutilated twins. He held people in tanks of ice water for hours or until dead. He exposed prisoners to malaria. He forced them to drink seawater. One particular implement from his experiments, a rusted old scalpel, was le in the labs. Over many years, it was energized by the various ghosts passing by it, feeding off their death energies. At this point, it’s taken on a life of its own.

The rusty old scalpel craves death. It only finds itself at home when flush with warm blood. Although this makes it a remarkably effective weapon, anyone holding it is subject to the sounds of its past victims. As a function of this, when the weapon is in hand, the character is considered distracted and suffers a –4 dice pool modifier to all Perception Tests. If she attempts to Observe in Detail as a Simple Action, she only suffers a –2 dice pool modifier.

Reach: 0, Damage: (Str/2+4)P, AP: –2, Availability: N/A (unique item), Market Value: 10,000¥
Everything is wrong with that piece. Everything. From the fact that the man described is actually a historical person who never did a single ghastly experiment and was actually just a vile bureaucrat who condemned people to die with a typewriter to the fact that an item that cuts like a fucking carborundum ax while being a rusty scalpel is one of the most valuable things on the planet and they expect you to sell it for high lifestyle beer money.

But the big thing is that you are in fact going in to fight the ghosts of holocaust victims so that you can get their treasure - the torture implements that killed them in the first place - which you apparently want because they are worth cash. It's disgusting. Oh, and the entire section is named "Work Brings Freedom", which was the Nazi catch phrase they put on the work camps.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

*sigh* I'm going to stop giving people the benefit of the doubt...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

The last time I gave David Hill the benefit of the doubt, he ratted me out. But that was before Jewbusters. And the strange foot fetish thing.
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

I had forgotten about how stupid that Marienbad Council bit was. It was offensive, but it was drastically over shadowed by "Work Brings Freedom". I had forgotten though about how ridiculous and unnecessary the Marienbad piece was.

Magical ore? I don't recall there being any in the current history. There are alchemical radicals, but that's an entirely different story. I'm also trying to figure out how an itinerant population goes from trailer camps to setting up a mining operation. The scope seem medieval, fantastical it seems like a D&D adventure.

I know it's not news to say that a current Shadowrun author doesn't know anything about the world they are helping to craft, but this guy is trying to be taken seriously as a professional game writer. Artists make really poor business and relationship choices all the time, but they usually make better art. In this case nothing can be said for his work or his choice of business partners.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Otakusensei wrote: Magical ore? I don't recall there being any in the current history. There are alchemical radicals, but that's an entirely different story. I'm also trying to figure out how an itinerant population goes from trailer camps to setting up a mining operation. The scope seem medieval, fantastical it seems like a D&D adventure.
I recall there being Orchalum deposits in the world that were awakened by Haley's comet or something like that? Although also think it was said they had disappeared or some such, all the same I guess they wanted to go with them all not being all mined out just yet. Also, what's wrong with having some fantastical in the setting, imagine that's part of the point of adding fantasy to the mix (even if it's stuff defined in the worlds science and like).
Last edited by Aryxbez on Tue May 22, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'm expecting FATAL-levels of lulz here. Well, it would be funnier if Holocaust denial wasn't a real and sad thing, but, thrashing shitty Neo-Nazi products is always a worthy cause.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ancient History wrote:The last time I gave David Hill the benefit of the doubt, he ratted me out. But that was before Jewbusters. And the strange foot fetish thing.
Hey, I don't have a damned thing to say about foot fetishes, Joss Whedon and Quentin Tarrentino are two of my favourite Writer/Directors in Hollywood.

I, in general, like the idea of the "Ghosts of Auschwitz must be handled" hook, but.... I'd provide an opportunity for laying them to rest, and penalties for "busting" the jew ghosts. There might be benefits for busting nazi ghosts, though... Also, I don't think I'd make the reward at the end a magical torture implement. Maybe the final challenge would be one, but that is in no way a reward.

...and I like to play fucking VASHARAN! What the fuck is wrong with Hill!?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I'd like to see a Ghosts of Auschwitz game where the Nazi ghosts, heavily outnumbered and outtormented by their former Jewish prisoners, actually have things much worse than their former captives. And which then posits the question as to whether the Nazi ghosts, more a nuisance than an active threat, should be dealt with at all or left in their purgatory forever as punishment for their sins. After all, it's not Hitler or Goebbels haunting the halls, just Nazi Guard #3178. At the same time, what's happening to them is a direct consequence of their own horrific actions. It'd be at least a partially interesting dilemma to throw at a party.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

See!? Ghosts of Auschwitz could totally be a legitimate game. I still don't know if I'd call Hill a neo-nazi (if for no other reason than I'd expect one to be able to get historical nazis right), but definitely a fuck up.