Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Grek wrote:Doublepost time: What's an LA +0 insect race in 3.5 that would make for a not awful spellcaster?
Hengeyokai Crab from Dragon #318? D&D is sorely deficienct in bug people.

-Username17
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Due to a misprint, the Hairy Spider from Monsters of Faerun has LA +0 in 3.5. Of course it also has Int:—...

The Khepri from Dragon 352 have scarab heads and human bodies.

That's it at LA +0 though.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Yeah, none of these quite work. The Hengeyokai Crab kinda fits, but honestly who wants to be the guy trying to explain to the DM they want to play a "Hengeyokai" at the table?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Try to get LA buyoff approved and play a Diopsid or Dromite?
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

What kind of powers/adjustments do you expect from being a 'bug person'?
Extra arms, hovering, different sight?
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

An exoskeleton. Maybe some antennae or mandibles. It's a purely cosmetic request.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Grek wrote:An exoskeleton. Maybe some antennae or mandibles. It's a purely cosmetic request.
That's the kind of flavour stuff that can just be written onto the sheet. In the case of the exoskeleton, be a class that wears Heavy Armour (ie a Cleric) and never take your armour off. Or do that stupid thing from Dragon Magic where you don't get armour but instead grow your own armour coating. It needs to have the "doesn't stack" thing reworded in a way that makes sense though, because of "or other sources".

You could also do a Magic of Blue thing and claim your weird bug bits are natural and not just a magical extension, but then if you walk into an Antimagic Field you magically turn into a human or whatever.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Kobolds are basically bugs. Natural armour, small size, fast, speak funny. Call it a bug. Replace the traps/stealth stuff with stability, say you're a bug-centaur even.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

My vote would to be a Lesser whatverthefuckthe Lawful Planetouched are called (I think they're in either MM2 or Fiend Folio if you have either of those), and say your grandparents were Formians, so you have a bug face and carapace, but they aren't strong enough to give you bite attacks or natural armor.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Lawful Planetouched are called Zenythri, and are descended from Inevitables rather than Formians. They're part robotic.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Grek wrote:An exoskeleton. Maybe some antennae or mandibles. It's a purely cosmetic request.
If your DM isn't a complete idiot you can always appeal to his sense of balance, and have him give you insectile creature with no LA and no ability modifiers.

It's a savage species template that gives you tremorsense, and more limbs that explicitly can't be used for more attacks, and +4 dex +2 wis. The LA is +2 because it's in Savage "Fuck you, you can't play monsters"Species, but if your DM is sane, it makes you very insectile for basically the most marginal of gains.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Reskinning a ____-Elf would provide a basket of mechanical effects everyone is already familiar with.

"You're arbitrarily immune to these spells and ghouls cuz yer a bug-man"
"Instead of sleep you go into a torpor state"
"Your antenna give you keen senses for finding hidden stuff"
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Now I kind of want to see a world where the core races are reskinned to be radically non-human, rather than the rubber forehead races they are. Preferably no mammals.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

The fantasy world that I dabble in where humans landed on a planet full of elemental spirits that can be manipulated:

various races available so far:

Star Children (human crew)- high tech, cybernetics
Star Children (human colonist)- gone native, disease resistant
Star Children (human exalt)- high tech, heavily modified, mutants
Corvian- medium sized intelligent crows
Huroon- slender plant people that senesce into stationary trees
Myconid- knuckle-walking fungi that reproduce via spores that grow on dead ancient Huroon
Ro'czak- asexual earth elementals who sculpt their descendents from stone
Troll- large humanoids with a variety of appearances that reproduce by budding once they grow large enough
Chim- small, tailed primates that closely resemble humans
Mi-Go- bug larva grows in host, then mature into larger arthropods - can grow in Chims or Humans, some view it as symbiotic others as parasitic
Gill- scaled amphibious bipeds

If you want a published setting with diverse core races:
http://www.battlestations.info/aliens.html
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Prak wrote:Now I kind of want to see a world where the core races are reskinned to be radically non-human, rather than the rubber forehead races they are. Preferably no mammals.
Elf: Agile insect folk with acute senses
Dwarf: Rotund bird-men that can eat anything, like digging.
Human: 'Lizardmen' (tho' warm blooded) that have adopted to all corners of the world.
Halfling/Gnome: 3ft tall plantfolk with a talent for trickery
Orc: mushroom-men with violent tempers and strength
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Orc bard
Last edited by Prak on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Ugh, humanoids, humanoids everywhere.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Honestly, mushroom people should have much more varied body forms.

schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

I'm reminded of the "elves are bees" thing from the Master Race Handbook.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

While I'm all for going non-mammal, I think making things non-humanoid is a bad idea. Most non-humanoids have a really hard time using tools, and that makes them really bad for RPGs. To resolve this problem you need completely alien physiologies, where like you've got a creature who has a hand of some sort on its tail and stuff. Making those is very hard, stretches conceptual space for each new one added, and each one is potentially another centaurs argument waiting to happen.
erik
King

Post by erik »

+1 to humanoids being a good idea. You don't want to run into tons of problems where items and locations are not compatible for the whole party.

You might be able to get around it some on items by having the magic stored in a small replaceable component like a crystal. Then giant trolls can put it in their club, crows in their small twiggy tools, etc.

Anyway you don't want your cast looking like Animal Farm or at least I don't.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Remember centaurs and stairs?
That's why all races are humanoid.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Chamomile wrote:While I'm all for going non-mammal, I think making things non-humanoid is a bad idea. Most non-humanoids have a really hard time using tools, and that makes them really bad for RPGs. To resolve this problem you need completely alien physiologies, where like you've got a creature who has a hand of some sort on its tail and stuff. Making those is very hard, stretches conceptual space for each new one added, and each one is potentially another centaurs argument waiting to happen.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Centaurs are ugly and too big.

(Some of) y'all are always going on about how wonderful it is to have protected roles and stuff. What's wrong with "has thumbs" :tongue: ?