Schitzo-Atomic Vampires (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying a

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

hyzmarca
Prince

Schitzo-Atomic Vampires (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying a

Post by hyzmarca »

Someone on a different board that I frequent asked me to come up with a Vampire Path that embodies a certain mindset. Personally, I've never played Vampire and know very little about it. I've just wasn't interested in the type of game that White Wolf marketed. I do understand that the "Vampions" playstyle is quite popular, though, and that Paths are basically a mix-max device so that you don't have to worry about all the angst that comes with the Humanity stat, so with that in mind I decided to stop worrying and love the fang.

I went for something that encourages a playstyle best described as Paranoid, Insane, and Nuclear Armed. Not Fishmalk insane, of course, that's just asinine, more like GigaHitler, the sort of completely unironic hypocrisy that allows you to hold your friends and enemies both to the highest possible moral standards while at the same time ordering multiple genocides.

The full intent is to give the player an excuse to sneak into the White House and Dominate the President into launching a Minuteman at some Elder who pissed him off at a Kindred meet & greet while pointing to his sheet and declaring that it's totally in character. Unless, of course, he can find some way to get his own personal nukes at chargen.

I presume that this is going to completely ruin someone's carefully planned chronicle.

I decided to repost it here just for vanity's sake. And maybe someone will get a larf out of it.

And yes, the first two sins are intentionally contradictory.

Knowledge is power.
Power is control.
Control is safety.

Restraint in the pursuit of safety is impermissible
Restraint in the pursuit of control is intolerable.
Restraint in the pursuit of power is unforgivable.
Restraint in the pursuit of knowledge is blasphemy.

To destroy a thing is to control it absolutely.

Path of Science
I want to kill the lampreys.
-RandomJ, Tactics: Let's Conquer an Alien Planet

Nickname: Spacebattlers

Basic Beliefs: Those Vampires who follow the Path of science seek nothing less than absolute power over the entire universe. They believe that extensive study of the universe and practical application of science will eventually allow them to become unliving gods equal to the creator of the universe, if such a being exists.

The Path of Science borrows heavily from speculative fiction and space opera, though it concerns itself more with domination and control than with heroism. Followers of this path are absolutely devoted to their own aggrandizement. Their every action is calculated to wank themselves to a higher level of power, either physically, politically, or socially. Emphasis is placed on physical power, however. Spacebattlers know that all authority ultimately flows from the barrel of a gun and that the power to destroy is the greatest lever in any political negotiation.

Spacebattlers reject the idea that there should be a power greater than themselves and the Path encourages its adherents to destroy all potential threats via any means necessary. They see elder vampires, Antediluvians, Cain himself, and even God as obstacles to be overcome and threats to be destroyed using the power of Science.

Ethics of the Path
  • Duck and Cover
  • Exploit Everything
  • Don't make girls cry
  • Never fight fair.
  • Always seek more dakka
  • 'Raw Raw Fight Da Powah
Virtues
Vampires on the Path of Science uphold the virtues of Conviction and Self-Control.

History
The Path of Science arose during the blood-soaked nights of the early atomic age. It began amongst young high generation vampires with a taste for pulp fiction that was greater than their taste for blood. The scientific optimism of the era, combined with the looming horror of nuclear war created a new breed of vampire fascinated with rocket ships and planetary devastation.

Current practices
It is simple to say that Spacebattlers do Science to things and that is mostly accurate. They can commonly be found in cluttered labs, experimenting with some genetically engineered monstrosity or building anti-matter bomb. Most Spacebattlers are Anarchs, though many pay lip service to the Camarila or the Sabat if it suits their goals. In truth, factional politics don't interest them. They're much more concerned with building mass drivers capable of launching dinosaur-killer asteroids at the Earth, which should render all sects irrelevant.

Description of followers
This path is almost exclusively upheld by younger vampires. Few of its followers are lower than 11th generation and fewer still were embraced earlier than the 1940s. The path appeals most to the young and the weak. Those who follow it seek to enhance themselves far beyond what would otherwise be possible.

Following the Path
Followers of the Path of Science of first and foremost seekers of knowledge. Whether it be arcane lore or particle physics or personal secrets, all knowledge can be exploited for power. Most are reclusive, working alone or in small groups of like-minded Spacebattlers, though their extensive weapon caches and paranoid planning makes them formidable adversaries.

Common abilities: Many Spacebattlers tend to focus on knowledge to the exclusion of other abilities, though many are more well-rounded. Science, Medicine, Occult, Academics, Computer, Alertness, and Firearms are prized.

Prefered Disciplines: Spacebattlers are min-maxers. All of them have Celerity, because Celerity is broken.

Hierarchy of Sins

10 Refuse to help a fellow Spacebattler. We're all in this together.
9 Fail to kill a fellow Spacebattler. There can be only one!
8 Fail to eliminate a potential threat. I want to kill the Lampreys.
7 Submit to Authority. Fight the Powah!
6 Alienate potential allies. Don't make girl's cry.
5 Show mercy to a dangerous anathema. Nothing is too cruel for the Draka.
4 Get caught with your pants down. I hate it when a plan falls apart.
3 Fail to own a weapon of mass destruction. We worship Oppenheimer's light.
2 Fail to use an overwhelming advantage. There is no overkill.
1 Refuse a risk-free opportunity to become more powerful. Never enuff dakka
Last edited by hyzmarca on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

It's like a mad cross between a Sith Lord and Yawgmoth. I like it. I will probably quote it repeatedly in the future.
Small nitpick: Sin 3 should probably be "Fail to control a WMD".
Last edited by Vebyast on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Vebyast wrote:It's like a mad cross between a Sith Lord and Yawgmoth. I like it. I will probably quote it repeatedly in the future.
Small nitpick: Sin 3 should probably be "Fail to control a WMD".
Some WMDs you control. Some you unleash and get out of the way.

I worded it intentionally because I had this image in my head of a mad scientist vampire who has a large collection of poorly-maintained nuclear biological and chemical weapons sitting on his shelf collecting dust.

But yes, I suppose for sane game play purposes simply controlling one will do.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

hyzmarca wrote:I worded it intentionally because I had this image in my head of a mad scientist vampire who has a large collection of poorly-maintained nuclear biological and chemical weapons sitting on his shelf collecting dust.

But yes, I suppose for sane game play purposes simply controlling one will do.
Fair enough. I was thinking in terms of that awesome Spacebattler Mantra, which suggested that the ability to actually use the thing is more important than having it on your bookshelf. Having access to the nuclear football is sufficient even though you don't actually own the nukes it conrols. Doesn't matter, though; the flavor text would put that sin on the list even if it weren't so good thematically. We worship Oppenheimer's light is so perfectly mad and creepy.
Last edited by Vebyast on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Don't the following pairs contradict:
  • 1 & 29 & 10
  • 6 & 7 if you encounter a reasonable authority figure
?

EDIT: Derp, I forgot that the list went from high to low.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:Don't the following pairs contradict:
  • 1 & 2
?
1 and 2 don't contradict.

1 means that you don't turn down an opportunity to gain power unless it looks fishy (diablarizing Saulot is always a bad idea, for example)

2 means that you never hold back in a fight.

2&3 interact in an interesting way, though.

6&7 might contradict, yes. That makes such negotiations all the more interesting. You can't just bow down the the guy, you've got to get him to acknowledge you as an equal (even if you aren't) or preemptively kill him (he might become a threat, after all), or just take the degeneration roll.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The interaction could also just mean that all PoS vamps are Lancers.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

This is fabulous. I'd actually be interested in playing Vampire if I could play something like this.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

hyzmarca wrote:
RadiantPhoenix wrote:Don't the following pairs contradict:
  • 1 & 2
?
1 and 2 don't contradict.
Uh... derp, I actually meant 9 and 10; I forgot for a moment that the list went from 10 to 1 not the other way around.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Actually, I figured out a way to work that: help fellow PoSci vampires when asked while having long-term plans to SHOW THEM ALL BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The trick would be to make the plans long-term and just not fail at them.

Though the original post said they're supposed to be contradictory...
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Re: Schitzo-Atomic Vampires (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying a

Post by Vebyast »

hyzmarca wrote:I want to kill the lampreys.
-RandomJ, Tactics: Let's Conquer an Alien Planet
As a side note, thank you so much for this link. I'm 200 pages in and enjoying myself immensely.