OSSR Request Thread

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

fbmf wrote:AD&D 2E Menzoberranzan boxed set
I second that emotion
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Not an OSSR, but if someone will review Space Madness! I will do an OSSR of any game product of their choice. Even the ones I swore never to do, like Gehenna or World of Darkness: Gypsies.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Will you be offering something in exchange for a review of the OSSR as well?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

No. The last time I did that, I ended up writing a 200-page RPG.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Can you rope Frank into doing World of Darkness: Gypsies with you?

Hm... google has remarkably little information on the favored hard liquor of the Romani. I think "bravinta" is just a word for vodka?
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
erik
King

Post by erik »

Someone else volunteer before Dr P makes him do something horrible!

I'm intrigued and will consider my schedule on whether I have time-availability to do a review worth sharing. I'm not filled with haterade or nostalgia which makes it a lot harder to get the juices flowing. I do have a couple ideas for quid pro quo rewards (one is reviewing my Nexus game, whose most recent form I haven't made available as I continually expand it).

Unrelated- to my shock, nobody seems to have done a Deadlands OSSR. That was my jam!
Da fuq?
Usamimi
Apprentice

Post by Usamimi »

Ancient History wrote:Not an OSSR, but if someone will review Space Madness! I will do an OSSR of any game product of their choice. Even the ones I swore never to do, like Gehenna or World of Darkness: Gypsies.
Request accepted.
Shrapnel wrote: Also, are you, like, a computer or something? Or... oh my fucking gosh, are you a living internet ad?!
Usamimi
Apprentice

Post by Usamimi »

Final Fantasy d6.

Edit: No relation to Space Madness.
Last edited by Usamimi on Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote: Also, are you, like, a computer or something? Or... oh my fucking gosh, are you a living internet ad?!
WiserOdin032402
Master

Post by WiserOdin032402 »

I'd like to see Cyberpunk 2020 covered.
Longes wrote:My favorite combination is Cyberpunk + Lovecraftian Horror. Because it is really easy to portray megacorporations as eldritch entities: they exist for nothing but generation of profit for the good of no one but the corporation itself, they speak through interchangeable prophets-CEOs, send their cultists-wageslaves to do their dark bidding, and slowly and uncaringly grind life after life that ends in their path, not caring because they are far removed from human morality.
DSMatticus wrote:Poe's law is fucking dead. Satire is truth and truth is satire. Reality is being performed in front of a live studio audience and they're fucking hating it. I'm having Cats flashbacks except now the cats have always been at war with Eurasia. What the fuck is even real? Am I real? Is Obama real? Am I Obama? I don't fucking know, man.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I'd like to see a review of the old FASA Star Trek TTRPG. I actually have it, but the last time I attempted an OSSR it... didn't go well.

I really want to know why we can play as fucking M'ress, but not as a Gorn.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Was thinking of reviewing Dragon Warriors, but I'd hold back on that if someone more reviewry (having a greater background in RPG mechanics and/or rambling entertainingly while drunk) wants to do it.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

It isn't old, but I just learned about Lancer. It's a mech RPG from the guy who draws Kill 6 Billion Demons, which I note is not an RPG.

Apparently there's a strong central government, a few megacorporations, or you can just own a mech and go to war against them? It sounds like an entertaining mess, at least.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Ancient History wrote:Not an OSSR, but if someone will review Space Madness! I will do an OSSR of any game product of their choice. Even the ones I swore never to do, like Gehenna or World of Darkness: Gypsies.
This offer stands.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

I'd be interested in a review of one of the various books of varient rules like Skills and Powers, Unearthed Arcana, or Pathfinder Unchained.

Also, PF core has hit 10 years, so a retrospective on what they were trying, and why they ended up where they did would be cool.
Last edited by TiaC on Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

https://www.feastoflegends.com

Its not an OSSR by any means, but it is shockingly complete and comprehensive.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

erik wrote:Unrelated- to my shock, nobody seems to have done a Deadlands OSSR. That was my jam!
Da fuq?
I know this post is really old, but I reviewed three Deadlands books on here:

https://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=57272
https://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=57274
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=57269

I'd like to see someone review Call of Cthulhu books. Particularly the more offbeat ones, like Catthulhu, Pulp Cthulhu, or one of the more acclaimed books such as Delta Green or Harlem Unbound. If all else fails I may review them myself...eventually.
Last edited by Libertad on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Would like to see Denner stuff get reviewed thoroughly
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

OgreBattle wrote:Would like to see Denner stuff get reviewed thoroughly
I once contemplated reviewing the Frank & K Tomes on other websites, but so much of the content is personality-infused that can't be paraphrased well. If I did do a review, I'd either be doing lots of quoteblocks or telling people to refer to the PDF too much. I suppose I can just reflect on solely the mechanics, but then that'd miss large portions of things like the Economicon and the underlying design decisions.

That, and the Tomes are kind of known within the 3.X and min-maxer fanbase so I ended up doing more obscure and less-discussed works.
Last edited by Libertad on Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

I'm going to vote for Fantasy Flight's Rogue Trader again. :)
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Semi-thread necromancy, but I'd love to see someone review Curse of Strahd if it hasn't been done before. Or the original Ravenloft + any of its later Edition iterations.

Edit: Or Matt Colville's Strongholds & Followers sourcebook.

Also SIGMATA, which was an attempt at making an "antifa superhero" RPG but had some pretty big problems with its default setting.
Last edited by Libertad on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Libertad wrote:Semi-thread necromancy, but I'd love to see someone review Curse of Strahd if it hasn't been done before. Or the original Ravenloft + any of its later Edition iterations.
K and I did Realms of Terror, although we were doing the 1994 version rather than the 1990 version because of availability.

-Username17
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Libertad wrote:Semi-thread necromancy, but I'd love to see someone review Curse of Strahd if it hasn't been done before. Or the original Ravenloft + any of its later Edition iterations.
K and I did Realms of Terror, although we were doing the 1994 version rather than the 1990 version because of availability.

-Username17
It probably has more material too. I'm reading it now, and am a bit interested in the claim that Rein-Hagen's inspiration from Vampire came from Ravenloft. Both games' dates are quite close, although it's not something I've heard about much.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Libertad wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
It probably has more material too. I'm reading it now, and am a bit interested in the claim that Rein-Hagen's inspiration from Vampire came from Ravenloft. Both games' dates are quite close, although it's not something I've heard about much.
Rein*Hagen's own origin story for Vampire: the Masquerade is that he went to GenCon and was blown away by Ravenloft and had the epiphany that the player characters could be the vampire. His game was reworked immediately.

The original game was going to be a new version of Ars Magica. And the conversion to dice pools was done at the same time. He actually carpooled with some of the Shadowrun guys, and the conversion from a single d10 against a target number to a dice pool against a target number was obviously hastily done.

-Username17
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I would like an OSSR of Frostburn. If someone is feeling froggy, I'd really love them to compare the various location splats (Frostburn, the Desert One, the City One, the Dungeon one) to see if they're all 100% derivative or if some of them have awesome buried deep inside.
-This space intentionally left blank
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

deaddmwalking wrote:I would like an OSSR of Frostburn. If someone is feeling froggy, I'd really love them to compare the various location splats (Frostburn, the Desert One, the City One, the Dungeon one) to see if they're all 100% derivative or if some of them have awesome buried deep inside.
The Outside books get progressively more bullshit as the series progresses. It's Cold Outside is at times over-long and unambitious, but it's a real piece of design work. It's Hot Outside sets its sights a lot lower, with much of the book being a shallow retread of It's Cold Outside with [Cold] changed to [Hot]. It's Wet Outside continues the slide into irrelevance, being sufficiently templated on the book about exploring tundra that it doesn't have usable rules for naval combat despite nominally being about the sea. It's Crowded Outside doesn't really have a point. I don't know what should be in that book, but I'm reasonably sure it's not there. You'd expect rules for being a merchant prince or something, but it definitely fails to go anywhere useful or interesting. It's Inside Outside goes one step further still, of being unable to explain to the reader what the book is even about - not only does It's Inside Outside fail to get low hanging fruit, it fails to tell me what trees it's even trying to pick from. The only reason anyone remembers Dungeonscape is that Giant in the Playground was allowed to just "go crazy" and make his own class that didn't make any sense and had a power refresh rate defined in terms that weren't applicable to the edition it was nominally written for.

I think AH and I may do Cyberworld next, but if not then It's Cold Outside would be reasonable.

-Username17