General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

Torchbearer - Kickstarter is UP

Post by silva »

Anyone seen this ?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... ing-wheel/

EDIT: updating to say the kickstarter is up.
Last edited by silva on Wed May 01, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Holy geez, it says "murder hobos" in the first paragraph.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Hey, I'd donate to their kickstarter. My interest is piqued.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:Holy geez, it says "murder hobos" in the first paragraph.
Are you considering this a pro or a con?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I'm not sure I would ever want to play more than a one shot of that. I sure as fuck don't want to play a game for very long if my character can never master the absurdly broken talent of seeing in the dark.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

It certainly has a very "low magic" vibe.
squirrelloid
Master

Post by squirrelloid »

Kaelik wrote:I'm not sure I would ever want to play more than a one shot of that. I sure as fuck don't want to play a game for very long if my character can never master the absurdly broken talent of seeing in the dark.
I think you have to imagine this as being a less fantastic and more grimdark world than D+D. Survival underground is apparently supposed to remain a serious challenge, which means you'll never get create food and water, much less at character creation ("1st level" or whatever the appropriate analog is)
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Well, I liked the honesty, but after reading the description it sounds like a really boring and frustrating game. Like the one the protagonist makes in Cryptonomicon.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I'm not sure if it will end up being a fun game, but I want to see how it turns out.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

It sounds a lot like an ordinary Roguelike, really. I don't know what they hope to gain by making it a TTRPG.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Every tiny detail of your encumbrance, from the food in your pack to the shield on your arm,
“I wanted to make a game where caving and dungeoneering felt like a big deal,” he says, “where your character could be cold and wet and feel the oppressive weight of the dark.”
“You need to fit treasure in your pack somehow. It often requires discarding valuable gear....your inventory lies at the heart of each expedition."
Welcome to inventory management, the game!
Last edited by Ikeren on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So...

The entire game is broken in half by the invention of some kind of wheeled cart that can be pulled and easily transported up and down cliffs.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
squirrelloid
Master

Post by squirrelloid »

Kaelik wrote:So...

The entire game is broken in half by the invention of some kind of wheeled cart that can be pulled and easily transported up and down cliffs.
And somehow manages to fit through small holes, and isn't hampered by underground water hazards, and manages all this with medieval technology... honestly, i'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but no such device exists afaik.
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

Not necessarily, but the game then becomes about protecting the cart.

'Inventory management, the game' is not necessarily something with mass appeal, but it's something that I've wanted to play for a long time.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

squirrelloid wrote:

And somehow manages to fit through small holes, and isn't hampered by underground water hazards, and manages all this with medieval technology... honestly, i'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but no such device exists afaik.
Um... no. The cart doesn't have to fit everywhere. It has to fit in general in a lot of places, but parties have been not going into small places for decades and no one complains that you can't scout the kobold maze with your medium size PCs, and no one is going to complain that you can't move your medium sized cart into small holes either.

Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Kaelik wrote:
squirrelloid wrote:

Um... no. The cart doesn't have to fit everywhere. It has to fit in general in a lot of places, but parties have been not going into small places for decades and no one complains that you can't scout the kobold maze with your medium size PCs, and no one is going to complain that you can't move your medium sized cart into small holes either.
Given that a big part of the concept of the game is getting into places that aren't quite so easily accessible, with a big focus on natural caverns and such where there will be squeezing, I don't think the cart will break anything.

Though yes, having carts will give delving into a dwarven ruin a much different feel from spelunking into random caves. I'm not sure why that's a bad thing.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

RiotGearEpsilon wrote: 'Inventory management, the game' is not necessarily something with mass appeal, but it's something that I've wanted to play for a long time.
Given that's a theme of Post-Apocalyptic scenarios, and I've done such management in RPG's all the time, I too think I could get into this. Always enjoyed being bit of a packrat in games, so the "slot" system over weight, I question if it'll easily be a bad/broken rule. So hopefully they do the calculations to what fits in what slots there, especially given "purpose" is to delve for treasure in the first place. Probably be bit janked if everyone was encouraged to never pick up treasure at all, defeating the purpose of the journey for the characters, so hopefully can carry "something" out for ones troubles by the journey's end.

Also, I can agree with the notion, this seems like a one-shot, or otherwise a game that would be very short-term and probably end after a single dungeon crawl.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Updating to say the kickstarter is up.

And a new article on the Forbes about it, with some new details and art.
Last edited by silva on Wed May 01, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Props to people making TTRPGS work via Kickstarter....but it doesn't appeal to me personally.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

They mention something interesting in their video. They say they have an independent playtest underway out of their control, how is this supposed to work and would this be better or worse then the standard model of playtesting?
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Juton wrote:They mention something interesting in their video. They say they have an independent playtest underway out of their control, how is this supposed to work and would this be better or worse then the standard model of playtesting?
maybe it would be unhindered by bias from the designers. like giving a new speed boat to average consumer Joe that uses speedboats and having Joe tell you what works or doesnt without you trying to sell them on it?

that way Joe can tell them what he really thinks without being led to any conclusions or assumptions about it to begin with.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Or like giving a pilot a new plane without the NATOPS, so they can figure out the bold text for themselves.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Everytime I hear "with a twist" I want to say "Go fuck yourself".
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

squirrelloid wrote:

It can be 6" wide and just have a torchholder (or lantern holder, as most lanterns are smaller than that. Two wheels with a single short axel and a long handle. It would be fucking simple to make. It wouldn't 100% all terrain, and you'd have to step away from it when the combat music starts, but you could build it so it props itself up fairly easily as long as no one makes an effort to kick it over.

As to the game, I initially thought they were talking about a computer game, which sounded moderately viable as a cheap indie game. But as TTRPG where you have to track all that bullshit yourself? Fuck no.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

I will say this, I quite like the Mouse Guard RPG. It has a certain zen thing going on, there's enough that you can sink your teeth into it but not so much as to be impenetrable. And like Voss says it sounds a lot like they took that and piled a bunch of largely unnecessary stuff that throws that balance out the window and while that might work you have to be careful about it because while logistics and dragons can be fun you don't want to take it too far because that shit gives people headaches. Also, the bit about lantern oil at the beginning made me think of this.