Sandsculpter (Re-write of another class)

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Giraffeking
1st Level

Sandsculpter (Re-write of another class)

Post by Giraffeking »

Foreword: I am making an egyptian themed campaign and one of my players wants to play a Sandsculpter reflavored as a desertsmith or something. I tried to simply copy and paste the wintermith over as a stonesmith, but it doesn’t work very well, so now it’s a little bit of a project melding a few classes together. Most of it is from Wintersmith, but some from sandmage, and some from Earth Mage. (None of which appear to be good enough for my player. Oh well, I said I would.)

While I would definitely like help improving this, I'm more or less happy with the balance level. Several abilities didn't port over well from Wintersmith, so I plugged in abilities from another source that was at the same level, or at the end, added in my own stuff.

Props to Dominicus, Prak_Anima and Josh_Kablack for their stuff. I salvaged a lot form you guys.

SANDSCULPTER

Hit Die: d6
Class Skills: The Sand Mage's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Concentration (Con), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge Nature (Int)) Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (-), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Rope (Dex).
Level:Abilities:
1:Haze, Sandcrafting, Acid Resistance, Burning Sands Magic, Purified Water, Embrace of the Dunes
2:Face Melting, Shifting Sand, Sand Walk
3:Empowered Earth, Hail of Stones, Gauntlet of Earth
4:Acid Immunity, Blazing Sands
5:Acid Pray, Desiccating Sand
6:Immortal Stone, Rain Call
7:Wall of Stone, Acid Detonation
8:Golems of Sand, Bend Earth
9: City of Stone, Sinkhole Network, Earthen Spire
10:Body of Compact Sand, Iron Sand
11:Animate Sand, Burrowing
12:Soul of Earth, Transmute
13:Gift of Sand, Gift of Stone
14:Gift of Steel, Gift of Acid
15:King of the Sands

Skills/Level: 4 + Intelligence Bonus
BAB: 3/4
Saves: Fort: Good; Reflex: Bad; Will: Good

Class Features
Level 1:
Haze: The Sandsculpter is consistently by a haze of acid and sand out to close range. This has no mechanic benefit in of itself, and hidden as a free action, while still remaining active. This haze counts as a desert environment for all purposes that effect the Sandsculpter’s abilities.
Sandcrafting: By fusing sand and using acid as glue, a Sandsculpter can make objects of sandstone that drip with Acid. As an attack action, a Sandsculpter can craft any object of up to small size, or weapons and armor sized for medium creatures. As part of the same action he may equip any equipment in any open slot he has, or throw the object, dealing normal damage for a weapon plus 1d6 acid damage per character level rounded up. These objects disintegrate into sand one minute after leaving a desert environment. Nobody else is proficient with these items. Period.
Acid Resistance: The Sandsculpter’s acid resistance is twice his character level. His skin feels warm to the touch.
Burning Sands Magic: The Sandsculpter has any spell with the [Acid] or [Earth] tag on his spell list.
Purified Water: By spending a minute, a Sandsculpter can dig into the earth and pull water out of the ground, up to 1 gallon per class level.
Embrace the Dunes : A Sandsculpter typically lives in the desert, and as such gets the Heat Endurance feat for free at first level.
Level 2
Face Melting: No more than half of any acid damage dealt by the Sandsculpter can be stopped by acid resistance or immunity. Furthermore, his acid eats through hardness, ignoring the first five point of hardness or dr.
Shifting Sand: The Sandsculpter may use fog cloud at will as some of his haze whips into a frenzy and blocks vision.
Sand Walk: The Sandsculpter may cast Skate, as the psionic power, at will, leaving behind a trail of solid sand that falls apart after one round. This effect can go over any level surface, even water or quicksand.
Level 3
Empowered Earth: By fusing bits of magic into his Sandcrafting, any object he makes can have an enhancement bonus equal up to one third his level. He may also make objects up to medium size, or weapons or armor for creatures up to large size.
Hail of stones: The Sandsculpter can use the Hail of Stone spell at will.
Gauntlet of Earth: The Sandsculpter can use Fist of Stone at will.
Level 4
Acid Immunity: The Sandsculpter is now immune to acid.
Blazing Sands: Instead of acid damage, the Sandsculpter can make his weapons of super heated sand and glass that burn for fire damage. When using Stonecraft he may select either fire or acid damage to deal. Only half of fire damage he deals can be stopped by fire resistance or fie immunity.
Level 5
Acid Spray The Sandsculpter can cast cone of cold with no damage caps at will except it deals acid damage, not cold.
Desiccating Sand When Sandcrafting, the Sandsculpter may reduce the damage die of all damage he deals with that attack and have all damage dealt be desiccating damage. Desiccating damage deals double damage to [water] types, and can instead dry up to 1 cubic foot of water per 5 damage dealt.
Level 6
Immortal Stone Anything made by Sandcrafting lasts until destroyed or dismissed. He may now make objects up to large size, or weapons or armor for huge creatures. Anyone normally proficient with the base item made by Sandcrafting can use the items normally.
Rain Call The Sandsculpter has struggled to survive the desert, and knows the secret to life: water. He can make it rain in a one mile radius of himself.
Level 7
Wall of Stone: The Sandsculpter can now use Wall of Stone at will.
Acid Detonation : With an attack action the Sandsculpter can detonate an item he created with Stonecraft to inflict 1d6 per level acid or fire damage to anything within 30 feet, Reflex save for half damage. The radius goes up and down by 10 feet for each size category of the item away from meduim, up to a minimum of 5 feet.
Level 8
Golems of Sand: When Sandcrafting, the Sandsculpter gains an additional option: he may creature any number of creatures whose stats are identical to their monster manual entries, except they lose all spell-like abilities, supernatural abilities, gain the construct subtype, and all damage they deal is desiccation damage, but one die size smaller. He may only have up to his level -4 in CR of monsters made by this created at a time. The sizes of his creations while Sandcrafting increase by one.
Bend Earth At 8th level, the Sandsculpter can use Meld into Stone, and Stone Shape at will. At 10th level, they may use Greater Stone Shape at will.
Level 9
City of Stone: By meditating for 1 minute you can craft 100 objects at once with an attack action via Sandcrafting anywhere within Long Range with the condition that must cling firmly to a surface and you have line of effect to it. You retain this ability as long as you keep using Sandcrafting each round. Nothing can be formed in squares occupied or adjacent to living creatures and things crafted this way can't be Detonated.
Sinkhole Network With Sandcrafting, the Sandsculpter may form a sinkhole. These sinkholes are as large as he makes them, but no smaller than 5 feet by 5 feet. He may instantly travel between any two sinkholes, bring along with him any items and up to his level of other creatures. These Sinkholes may be put on horizontal or vertical or even slanted surfaces. If they are destroyed for any reason, he knows.
Earthen Spire The Sandsculpter may use Sudden Stalagmite at will.
Level 10
Body of Compact Sand : The Sandsculpter can perform a ritual that puts his beating heart into a body made of livingsand. The new body will then assume the form of the previous body, mimicking it perfectly. With this new body the Sandsculpter no longer needs to eat, breath, drink or sleep and he becomes immune to any effect requiring a Fortitude save unless it also affects objects. Finally, the Sandsculpter can use Stonecraft to repair his new body, healing his level in damage with each attack action but he has no more natural healing. At this point the Sandsculpter does not suffer age penalties but can still die from old age, although his lifespan is doubled.
Iron Sand: All effects that the Sandsculpter has that effects sand or stone now also effects metal, sand and stone. EX: Wall of Stone can produce an effect identical to Wall of Iron or Wall of Sand, etc. Anytime you would end up dealing "Stone damage" replace it with acid, and anytime you would deal "Sand damage" replace it with fire, if this comes up.
Level 11
Animate Sand : You create a single Animated Object out of snow of a size up to your ability Stonecraft with a full round action. Such an animated object lasts while you concentrate and for one minute afterwards. The sand creature gains the earth, fire and ooze types and gains the Engulf and Acid abilities of the Gelatinous Cube but all damage is converted to fire damage. It gains a fly speed of 60 with perfect maneuverability.
Burrowing The Sandsculpter gains a burrowing speed equal to one and a half his land speed, and he may ride inside his animated sand, but takes no damage from it.
Level 12
Soul of Earth By spending an hour, rather than a minute, the Sandsculpter may use City of Stone except that the stone is considered to be made of Force, which blocks teleportation, divination and makes it very hard to destroy. The size of objects the Sandsculpter can make via Sandcrafting increases by one more category.
Transmute Any spells that says Transmute X to Y, where either X or Y is sand, mud, stone, or metal is now castable by the Sandsculpter at will.
Level 13
Gift of Sand: The Sandsculpter's haze can now detect life for him, giving him blindsense out to close range.
Gift of Stone: While standing on stone, metal, sand, or other earthen surfaces, the Sandsculpter gains tremor sense out to 5 feet times his character level, and can cast Stonehold at will.
Level 14
Gift of Steel: The Sandsculpter can cast Metal Skin at will.
Gift of Acid: The Sandsculpter's blood is now acidic, and he can use his blood for any purpose that acid can normally do.
Level 15
King of the Sands: You gain the Dry Lich Template. Have fun!
So, it ends up dealing any fire, acid or desiccation damage, which might be a bit much, but desiccation damage is always one die smaller, so that should help balance that. I've pitted it against a winter smith and a sand mage, and it performs a little bit better than the sand mage, and about the same as the Wintersmith. Let me know what you guys think.

I'm sure it will be nothing but polite observations of my errors, right?