Dominions 4 Teasers

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Post by K »

Innate Caster does seem to make casters go off-script, but a little research will default mages into casting mostly good stuff. I could see a lot of interesting fatigue-reducing stuff working with the Innate Caster bug.

Onaqui use Domsummon, so each one is spitting out 3-4 Beastbats in Dom10. I'd probably go with a Bless Strategy where all I made was Beastbats in terms of troops because the upkeep costs of those Onaqui are pretty harsh. That being said, on Turn 20 you can be shitting out 30-40 a turn for free and should have several hundred around.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Holy balls, an 850 gold recruitable. That's kinda different.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, directly recruiting the mummies is hella expensive. I'm pretty sure you get that particular guy by losing one of your Slow-To-Recruit living mages.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

name_here wrote:Yeah, directly recruiting the mummies is hella expensive. I'm pretty sure you get that particular guy by losing one of your Slow-To-Recruit living mages.
Here's how it works when either of your top 2 mages dies (hereafter called King and Queen)
1) King died. Is there one or more living queens out there? If so, kill one of them at random and create a uber-mummy in the capital. It has all the paths of the king and the queen (so if either was empowered or had a lucky random, that shows up), but also all the afflictions.
2) King died and there isn't a living queen. You get a uber-mummy with only the King's paths, but it costs the same upkeep as the full-path mummy.

The same holds true if a queen dies, but killing a random king instead.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Question:

I thought if you got a Scout into someones capital, you got the score charts for their capital as long as the scout was there? That is seeming not true, so I'm guessing it's a spies?

How do I get spies if I'm a nation without recruitable spies?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Ikeren wrote:Question:

I thought if you got a Scout into someones capital, you got the score charts for their capital as long as the scout was there? That is seeming not true, so I'm guessing it's a spies?

Sucks to be you, pretty much.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Ikeren wrote:Question:

You need spies OR you need an Astral-2 mage and Conjuration-5 to cast Acashic Record on an enemy capital. That spell will give you charts on the enemy.

EDIT: Other than a few, rare national spells (such as MA/LA T'ien Ch'i's Summon Kitsune) there are no spells that summon spies. There is an indie spy recruitable commander, but I think they're a very rare find.
Last edited by Shatner on Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Funny, I sorta figured there would be a generic summonable spy somewhere relatively high up the conjuration tree.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Ikeren wrote:Funny, I sorta figured there would be a generic summonable spy somewhere relatively high up the conjuration tree.
You'd think so, but no.
sum1won
NPC

Post by sum1won »

Hello! I've written up a pair of surveys I am posting to various dominions communities.
The first survey is on nation power and balance.

This one is on community interactivity.

Respective results so far:
Thanks, and feel free to pm me any questions.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I don't get it.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

The gif is of an arena battle wherein the air mage on the left obliterates his opponent with a wide area attack... but since his opponent had gotten into close range first, the air mage was caught in the same attack and died as well.

It was an arena battle with no victor. And funny.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

So, I posted a well-received but extremely unambitious mod on Desure a while back that fiddled with the rainbows to make them suck marginally less. Now I'm looking at fixing them in a big way, and it's taking over GD. Zinegata's already on the case, but I'd be interested to see what the troll man or other dominions players from here would think.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Could you link to the mod?
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

This is my mod: mod

I have a new and radically bolder version coming out this weekend: you can find is discussed here and here

Bottom line: the various pretenders like archmage, crone, and great sage are all going to cost 0 points, have 20 HP, and have 4 points of magic with a 2/2 or 2/1/1 distribution.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Bump up the cost on great sage.The research bonuses are worth more than zero points.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Would you rather see the cost bumped up, or his total paths reduced. (3 points, rather than 4).

I'm looking at:

Crone: D2/S2
Arch Mage F2/W2
Frost Father: W2A1B1
Master Enchanter: N1S1D1
Great Enchantress: E2S2
Great Sage: S2A1F1 (or: S2A1)
Serpent King: Dominion 2, N2D1

EDIT: Oh, and all of them have 20 HP.
Last edited by Orion on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I'm feeling bump the Great Sage up to 10-20 base cost but keep the paths. The relative value of losing one point in one path will vary enormously depending on strategy and nation in a way that the research bonuses won't. You always want +1 to research on all mages in the capital.
Last edited by name_here on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I think you want to be very careful with handing out extra paths (especially 2/2), because that encourages the stuffing of these Pretenders into holes for use in Bless strategies. Even if their Dominion is low and thus doesn't support buying a lot of sacreds at a time, some nations have sacred mages or thugs and will do it up that way. And that seems to go against the theme of the human chassis.

I could see bumping them to Dominion 2 across the board. AFAICT, the cost of getting their Dominion to survivable levels is the big complaint, and because of how the costs work, even a 1-point bump would make a significant difference.

Other than that, instead of more paths, I think you want to take a cue from the Great Sage and give them abilities that make people want to have them in play, to synergize with taking them Awake for research. Gemgen, freespawning units, custom beneficial events, a huge fortune-teller score, stuff like that.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4 ... lance-pack http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4 ... lance-pack

These are the threads for my mages mod and my friend's monsters mod.

Angel,

Several people have pointed out the bless issues to me, and I did kill most of the 2/2s. Those that remain are S/D and other shitty blessings. I think I do have an N2B2 on the live freak lord, which I should probably change, but I don't know what to change it to. N1E1B2? N1B3?

I agree with you that it would be better if the mage pretenders actually had worthwhile abilities, and I'm spitballing ideas for a "gonzo mages" mod. The problem is that any actual new abilities are going to be controversial and people are going to have very different ideas about the direction to go in. I'm hoping my numbers tweaks can be inoffensive enough to become the new default.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Frank's unfortunate commitment to saving human lives is preventing him from playing a video game. As a result I am looking for a sub for MA Tien Chi.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Frank's unfortunate commitment to saving human lives is preventing him from playing a video game.
Is he actually a medical doctor? I always thought that was a joke.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Ikeren wrote: Is he actually a medical doctor? I always thought that was a joke.
I remember his older posts referring to moving to Prague to study medicine and later to how his studies were going.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

He's a medical doctor who somewhat often jets off to third-world disaster areas like New Orleans to do emergency medicine.