The Shadzar Challenge

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Stinktopus
Master

The Shadzar Challenge

Post by Stinktopus »

Shadzar,

If three other posters will step up to the plate with me (maybe two other posters and my girlfriend), I will play in a 2E AD&D game if you will run it in Google+.

I will unquestioningly accept any houserules or off-the-cuff rulings you make.

I will make a character using whatever guidelines you set forth.

I will start a game journal in the "In The Trenches" forum.

I have my own 2E Players Handbook (but no Montesorian Manzicorn, so I can't metagame) and will provide mechanical assistance to anyone else who wants to play.

My preference for day/time is Sunday night. (~7PM Central)

Who's with me?!

:sparta:
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sunday@ ~7 PM central = Sunday@ ~8 PM Eastern, which should work just fine for me.

I have a 2e Player's Handbook (although I've never played 2e proper) and also lack a MOBSTER MANDINGO.

If we can get at least one other person in on this I'd be willing to commit.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Stinktopus
Master

Post by Stinktopus »

That's two.

Hrm... Shadzar might have me on ignore. Someone want to bother him?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Welll.. I suppose it might be interesting to try out a new edition. And I'm only involved in one PBP game right now. And setting up a Google+ account can't be that hard. I'm tempted.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

I will subscribe to the after action reports.
PSY DUCK?
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Getting the popcorn.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Wrathzog wrote:I will subscribe to the after action reports.
Yeah, I'll be happy to read the flaming wreckage.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

It's funny - I was thinking of suggesting the same thing.

I'd be game for a one-shot, at least. Even with a pre-gen.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

I WANT TO PLAY!!! :jump:
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Stinktopus
Master

Post by Stinktopus »

Sounds like we got a crew for this crazy train. Send Shad some PMs (I think he has me on ignore).

Shadzaaaaarrrrr... Come out and plaaaaa-aaaaay...

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks] Shadzar requests the PMs stop.[/TGFBS]
Last edited by Stinktopus on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Stinktopus wrote:Send Shad some PMs (I think he has me on ignore).
I did so, a a single PM at least, and it's been confirmed, he has indeed blocked you.
Stinktopus is concerned ye might have him on ignore, this matters because of this thread:

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=54480
shadzar wrote:i do have him on ignore like many others. ;)
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Someone is running a 2nd edition AD&D game? Sweet.

I used type IV character generation and have the required attributes to make a Druid.

If multiclassing is on the table, I'll make a half-elf Druid/Wizard.

If NWP's are being used, I'll pick up Animal Training (canine) and spend the majority of my starting gold on hunting dogs. Other NWPs will be determined by what other handbooks are free for use, but will probably include herbalism, survival, set snares and any other woodsman skills I can afford.

If the Complete Druid's Handbook is available, I'll take the Shapeshifter Kit.

If the Humanoids book is available, drop multiclassing, drop Half-Elf, I'll go with Alaghi or Fir Bolg as my character race instead.

If Player's Option is available, I'll accelerate Wild Shape progression to first level, pick up the Monk unarmed combat benefits and drop the ability to use weapons and armour. I'll still have to wait until I have the levels to turn into Aikido Bear, but should be capable of putting chokeholds on fools as a constrictor snake fairly early in my career. Or just turning into a 1/4 HD skunk and blinding/nauseating everyone (no save) in a 10 ' radius as my standard attacks.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

This is a serious contender for both best and worst idea tp come out of the Den yet this year.....
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Do you think Shadzar games resemble this in at all?
http://youtu.be/kDJ1UOpxjt4
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Josh_Kablack wrote:This is a serious contender for both best and worst idea tp come out of the Den yet this year.....
I think that entirely depends on what part you have in it. I will happily watch this shitshow if Shadzar puts it on.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

man i would pay actual real money to see this happen
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Korgan0 wrote:man i would pay actual real money to see this happen
Kickstart it. This needs to happen.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I more often than not don't bother to parse what this guy says, so I don't know if he ever specifically stated it, but I'd like to know what books he would allow in his ideal game. My guess is 2e PHB only, without proficiencies, but perhaps secondary skills, and maybe dipping in the Spell Compendiums.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I have a feeling this game's log is going to look like some real serious Burroughs cut-up action.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

I will straight up play this, no strings attached.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Stinktopus
Master

Post by Stinktopus »

So, in about a day, I've solved the central fucking tragedy of Shadzar's life.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

If I knew how to play 2E I'd join. I'll just have to settle for watching at the sidelines... with popcorn.

This is probably more accurate than I initially thought...
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Stinktopus wrote:So, in about a day, I've solved the central fucking tragedy of Shadzar's life.
If referring to this thread, not really, as I said before, he has blocked you, and seems he has no interest in seeking out this thread. Which would only point out his contradictions, perhaps, he doesn't want to play/run games at all, and just complain for the rest of his days?
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Stinktopus
Master

Post by Stinktopus »

The point is that I basically demonstrated how easy it was to solve his problem of not having a group and offered him a platform to share his style of gaming.

That he won't accept my solution merely confirms what most have suspected; that he is a blowhard ranting about crap that he knows nothing about for the sheer pleasure of hearing his own voice(s).