The inevitable 'get a wish from jerkface genies' thread.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

The inevitable 'get a wish from jerkface genies' thread.

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

You know the drill.

Open questions:

1.) Most importantly, is there any way to avoid the whole 'oh, in some ancient language in another dimensional timeline, your wish really means this' problem? If there isn't, then assume that there's some unbreakable law that makes this so.

2.) Assuming that you were (un)fortunate enough to get ahold of two jerkface genies, any way you could play them off of each other in order that you could come out ahead?

3.) Alternatively, what about wishes for which if the wish-granter gives the wish, both wishee and wisher get what they want? Again, assumes a separate entity.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

1. Cockpunch the DM. Or Tongues.

2. Blow your first of three wishes on wishing that if the other genie plays games with your wish that genie is banished to some appropriate realm where they'll be extremely unpleasant.

3. That entirely depends on what the wish grater wants right?
hyzmarca
Prince

Re: The inevitable 'get a wish from jerkface genies' thread.

Post by hyzmarca »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:You know the drill.

Open questions:

1.) Most importantly, is there any way to avoid the whole 'oh, in some ancient language in another dimensional timeline, your wish really means this' problem? If there isn't, then assume that there's some unbreakable law that makes this so.
Include a plain language, commonly accepted meaning clause and add specific definitions of terms that might be ambiguous.
2.) Assuming that you were (un)fortunate enough to get ahold of two jerkface genies, any way you could play them off of each other in order that you could come out ahead?
That depends on what the genies want.

Hypothetically, you could use one of your wishes to refresh the other genie's wishes per day and another to reset the binding, so that you get infinite wishes from both of them. But that requires them to hate each other more than they want to screw you over.
3.) Alternatively, what about wishes for which if the wish-granter gives the wish, both wishee and wisher get what they want? Again, assumes a separate entity.
Completely doable, but this assumes that you're dealing with a jerkass genie and not an imcompetent genie.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Genie thread? Ain't no jerk genie as classy as Dicko.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/14527687/
Pssht, that's inane. 'I wish for a bagel'.

Ok, fine, you get your bagel, but you and it are AT THE CENTRE OF THE SUN!

It's not clever, and it doesn't really come across as a reasonable interpretation of the wish.
>You didn't specify that I, Dicko the Genie, can't do terrible thing X with your wish!

>Suddenly you get everything you wished for but a rock falls and crushes you lol!

>Just another day for I, Dicko the Genie!
Though to be fair, that's probably the most dickish response ever, so props to the Genie for using it. Especially if that's used for almost every wish.

"I'd like all the money i could ever want!"
>You won't want much money AT THE CENTRE OF THE SUN!
"I just want world peace."
>Done. death by SUN CENTRE is very peaceful."
"Uh, I don't want a wish, you asshat. I'll just be going..."
>GOING TO THE CENTRE OF THE SUN! ohohoh, i slay me!
EDIT:
So if a goth kid genuinely wished for death, what would a malicious genie do with that?
Eternal Life while being forever tortured by I, Dicko the Genie! I grant the death part by making him undead, but still feeling.

I'm thinking the first million years will be spent in the center of the sun.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

There are three kinds of genies: Genies to whom you can safely say "I wish for you to do what I should wish for"; genies for which no wish is safe; and genies that aren't very powerful or intelligent.

Attempting to outwit a hostile DM is pointless. There is no feedback, so you have to get it right the very first time. Any ambiguity will be used to dick you over. The DM has as much time as he wants to find that ambiguity because he owns the world and can retcon in whatever he wants. The only way to ensure a total lack of ambiguity is to specify an entire world-state, and since only the DM knows enough about the setting to do that, you are stuck. A dungeon master is a wish of the second kind: no wish is safe.
Last edited by Vebyast on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Genie thread? Ain't no jerk genie as classy as Dicko.
[stuff]
That kind of reminds me of the Clavicus Vile quest in Skyrim, where if you wish for an end to the civil war he's all like "The war will end... WHEN DRAGONS DESTROY EVERYTHING!" which made him a fucking idiot, because I had killed Alduin already in that playthrough.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Vebyast wrote:There are three kinds of genies: Genies to whom you can safely say "I wish for you to do what I should wish for"; genies for which no wish is safe; and genies that aren't very powerful or intelligent.

Attempting to outwit a hostile DM is pointless. There is no feedback, so you have to get it right the very first time. Any ambiguity will be used to dick you over. The DM has as much time as he wants to find that ambiguity because he owns the world and can retcon in whatever he wants. The only way to ensure a total lack of ambiguity is to specify an entire world-state, and since only the DM knows enough about the setting to do that, you are stuck. A dungeon master is a wish of the second kind: no wish is safe.
So I default back to my original answer. Cockpunch the DM.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Vebyast wrote:There are three kinds of genies: Genies to whom you can safely say "I wish for you to do what I should wish for"; genies for which no wish is safe; and genies that aren't very powerful or intelligent.

No. You can always include a clause that specifically states "no consequences that I would consider to be bad if I knew the full details about them can happen to myself or anyone that I care about or anything that I care about as a result of this wish."

Or if you care about the well-being of complete strangers simply "no consequences that I would consider bad if I knew the full details about them can happen to anyone or anything as a result of this wish.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

hyzmarca wrote:No. You can always include a clause that specifically states "no consequences that I would consider to be bad if I knew the full details about them can happen to myself or anyone that I care about or anything that I care about as a result of this wish."

Or if you care about the well-being of complete strangers simply "no consequences that I would consider bad if I knew the full details about them can happen to anyone or anything as a result of this wish.
"Then I'll just magically rewrite your mind such that you don't consider it bad to be in the CENTRE OF THE SUN!"

Dicko the genie strikes again.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

There was an episode of the X-Files that covered genies.
The Genie was actually a medieval French peasant that found a magic lamp. Her first wish was for a sack of turnips, that never ran out. Her second wish was for Great Power and Long Life. So she got turned into a Genie. Her motivation for fucking other people over was that she felt people were selfish and stupid, and therefore deserved what was coming to them. Plus she was pissed off at being turned into a Genie.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Chamomile wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:No. You can always include a clause that specifically states "no consequences that I would consider to be bad if I knew the full details about them can happen to myself or anyone that I care about or anything that I care about as a result of this wish."

"Then I'll just magically rewrite your mind such that you don't consider it bad to be in the CENTRE OF THE SUN!"

Dicko the genie strikes again.
Include a clause that the results of the wish apply to Dicko and myself equally. For example, if he sends me to the center of the sun to be tortured for a million years, he must go, in a state equivalent to my own, to be tortured for a million years. If I'm mortal and Dicko sends me to the core of the sun, he's got a short lifespan left ahead of him.

Yeah he can still fuck me over, but his own sense of self preservation should kick in then. And if he's not that kind of genie with a sense of self preservation, I just wish he ceases to exist immediately before he does anything to me.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:3.) Alternatively, what about wishes for which if the wish-granter gives the wish, both wishee and wisher get what they want? Again, assumes a separate entity.
That depends on the genie, and what it wants. [NSFW, genie dick)

In the linked circumstance, I would just propose that I suck his dick once in payment for each non-dick sucking wish. Either way, he gets his dick sucked 1-3 times. If he just wants to chop peoples' legs off, but wishes wasted on sucking his dick are sufficiently funny to him to make him not chop off legs, then I just pay a bunch of commoners a ridiculous (to them) sum of money/turnips to come "help me with something" and then propose to the genie that if he grants me my wishes, he can chop off a commoner's legs and I'll still suck his dick.

Of course, if it's Dicko the Genie wanting his dick sucked, I guess I'm doomed to suck genie dick at the centre of the sun.

Of course, you can always just make your first wish a wish for an item of infinite wishes that has no free will and must fulfill your wishes exactly as you intend them but which does not cost the genie anything in any way.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

dont be a fucking Munchkin and the wish becomes no problem. be a Munchkin player get treated like one where wishes and all other things are concerned.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Can you wish for the genie to go kill itself
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Most importantly, is there any way to avoid the whole 'oh, in some ancient language in another dimensional timeline, your wish really means this' problem? If there isn't, then assume that there's some unbreakable law that makes this so.
"I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle."

echo
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

OgreBattle wrote:Can you wish for the genie to go kill itself
that is one of the few things that Robin Williams said was not allowed. no killing people and you cant make someone fall in love with you (free will and all that.)
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Because animated Disney movies are the secret "Genies and Wishes" rulebook for D&D.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

shadzar wrote:
that is one of the few things that Robin Williams said was not allowed. no killing people and you cant make someone fall in love with you (free will and all that.)
Good thing a djinn isn't a person then isn't it?
erik
King

Post by erik »

TheFlatline wrote:
shadzar wrote:
Except that one genie indisputably is a person in that movie. I'd expect by that movie's rules, the djinn count as people and are exempted.
jadagul
Master

Post by jadagul »

hyzmarca wrote:

No. You can always include a clause that specifically states "no consequences that I would consider to be bad if I knew the full details about them can happen to myself or anyone that I care about or anything that I care about as a result of this wish."

But the point is that any genie that would respond to that clause in an "appropriate" manner would also respond well to "I wish for you to fulfill whatever wish I should be making right now." That's actually less ambiguous than almost anything else you could come up with. The problem is that a sufficiently dickish genie could get around that ("now that you're at the center of the sun you should wish to be back on earth! So you are, if slightly crispy"; or worse, "Well, I think you should wish to be at the center of the sun!"). But any genie that would obey "no adverse consequences" would also just obey "do the best thing you can do for me."
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well if you're really dealing with a jerkface MC, I suggest simply wishing to know the answer to a cleverly disguised NP-hard problem. The Knapsack problem has all sorts of in-character loot collection applications and it's not hard to spin a yarn about wanting to see every Village in Faerun to adapt the Traveling Salesman Problem.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

My usual counter to the genie problem is "I'll use one of the wishes on your behalf. Don't screw me around and we can make this a regular deal, okay?"
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

TheFlatline wrote:
shadzar wrote:
and djinn cant grant wishes either unless they are noble. and noble only have to grant 3 before they are free.

being effectively elementals, could you command any other elemental to kill itself... NO.

D&D fucked up genies long ago into just being elementals rather than the thing from Aladdin's lamp, Shazzam, etc.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

SCP-738 wrote:Test 7: Sheldon Katz, Esq., senior counsel with the Foundation's legal department.
Result: At commencement of test, Mr. Katz presented the entity with a notarized, apostilled affidavit stating that he was participating in the test on his own behalf and not as agent for the Foundation. Approximately forty-one hours after the commencement of the test, Mr. Katz lapsed into unconsciousness due to exhaustion. Mr. Katz described the appearance of the entity as identical to his first-year contracts professor from law school, but he declined to describe the nature of the offer that had been made. He reported that just prior to his blacking out, he had been in the midst of negotiating a precise technical definition of the word "shall". Katz stated that the current working draft of the agreement that he and the entity had been drafting was at least nine hundred pages long at that moment, exclusive of exhibits and schedules, and that he regretted not keeping a copy for his form file. A red leather envelope, smelling of sulphur, was found on Mr. Katz's person, which contained a handwritten note reading "Please come back any time. I haven't had so much fun in years." Mr. Katz has requested reassignment.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Honestly, if the Genie is intent on actively being a dick, I would recommend simply giving up. Trying to constrain one will simply lead to an infinite spiral of legalese against a much older and more experienced entity. Also, in DnD 3.X specifically, the Wish description straight-up says that exceeding the recommended power bound can result in only a partial fulfillment.

You would have a far better shot with a genie who just fulfills a stated wish with neither deliberate fuckery nor extra help.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.