Medical Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I would not recommend simply toughening up, because that might make the problem get worse until it ruins the knee.

If it's just contact pain, it should be possible to rig something up that keeps things from touching the knee. The orthosis should help, they've served my brother pretty well after he dislocated both knees in separate incidents. You might be able to use the old one by attaching some padding to the top and bottom so it stops sliding, although I would recommend locating someone who knows what a proper fit is first so you can ask them if that will make it stop working. A proper fit is presumably one where it stays in place without pressing the sore part.

Ibuprofen is recommended for pain and inflammation, so take that.

I do not expect electromagnets will help much with this; legitimate magnetic messing about is still experimental and mostly concerned with nerve-related stuff. There may be some lab out there with some magnetic contraption that would make it stop hurting, but not actually fix things.
- Are there food additives / meds / devices to wear during exercise that can help prevent further injury? Does eating hyaluronan / chondroitin sulfate help? (Okay, if the jar itself says "is believed to to play a role in cartilage formation and repair", probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.)
Dietary supplements and such are largely bullshit. Protein is good for muscle development and suchlike, but it's reasonably likely you're getting enough for that already. Wearing the ortosis while exercising is a good idea.

The meds you mentioned have not been properly evaluated for long-term side effects. Do not take them.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Assuming the pharmacokinetics of that ketoprofen gel is similar to the patch form, there's a very low risk of any side effects from using that. Has your doctor considered a cortisone shot? If it's been several days with no improvement at all, you might need something more direct.

As for stuff you can do, Rest Ice Compression Elevation is still the standard as far as I'm aware; that and your topical anti-inflammatory. Good luck; tendon injuries suck.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

FrankTrollman wrote:Magnets have no effect on tendons.
You disagreed with Apgar & Norman's May '00 report on magnetic effects in nephropidae keratin?
(Apgar's January '09 followup published at Science here)
Last edited by fectin on Thu May 08, 2014 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

fectin wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Magnets have no effect on tendons.
You disagreed with Apgar & Norman's May '00 report on magnetic effects in nephropidae keratin?
(Apgar's January '09 followup published at Science here)
Holy shit.
Also thank you guys for your anti-anti-vaccination resources. I had a long conversation with my mother and it... didn't go horribly. There's hope for my siblings to survive to adulthood yet.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So as I think I've mentioned before, I'm back on the opiates and I don't think that's going to change unless the government is violently overthrown. If people want to do that, they have my blessings.

Anyway, because it's packaged with paracetamol, and the usual approach of the government is not "minimise harm" but "just tell people not to do stuff" so I don't know how much damage is being done here.

At what level of paracetamol intake will it likely become dangerous from all that liver damage? I'm not asking for advice on how much you think I can safely consume, which would be unethical for a doctor to answer, but given it's happening anyway, more "at what point is it likely to start killing me"?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

So I'm writing this story where I want a character to be born with some disease or disability that makes her mobility impaired in a significant way, wheelchair bound is my instinct. Then through a combination of extreme dedication and consistent medical attention she overcomes her disability and by the time she is an adult she competes as a professional athlete.

I want it to be a modern day version of the Wilma Rudolph story but I don't know what diseases or disabilities could cause that anymore because polio doesn't really exist anymore. Any advice on what disease the character could have? Lacking any help I will either go with extreme scoliosis or just never mention the diseases name.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Koumei wrote: At what level of paracetamol intake will it likely become dangerous from all that liver damage? I'm not asking for advice on how much you think I can safely consume, which would be unethical for a doctor to answer, but given it's happening anyway, more "at what point is it likely to start killing me"?
The current guidelines are that they don't want people taking daily intakes of more than 4000 mg for fear of causing chronic liver damage. Vicodin, for example, has 500 mg of paracetamol in it, so ideally you shouldn't take more than 8 in a day.

Which frankly seems like kind of a lot of Vicodin to me. But I understand that people with opiate tolerance feel differently.
deanrule wrote:So I'm writing this story where I want a character to be born with some disease or disability that makes her mobility impaired in a significant way, wheelchair bound is my instinct. Then through a combination of extreme dedication and consistent medical attention she overcomes her disability and by the time she is an adult she competes as a professional athlete.
Cerebral Palsy would be my go-to on that one.

Look at the arm atrophy on that guy. But there's nothing actually wrong with his muscles or bones. He has damage to the motor control functions in his brain, causing his muscles to atrophy from disuse. If you could bypass the block and stimulate the muscles directly, they'd develop normally.

-Username17
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Would it be possible to overcome Cerebral Palsy if an individual had unlimited dedication and decent medical support if the process was begun at an early age? If the character did daily versions of the Kill Bill "move your big toe" process and never stopped would it be possible? I'd like the character to be seen as empowering to people who know the disease well so I'd like it to be at least theoretically possible rather than saying my character got better in a way which is impossible and magical.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That does sound like a lot of Vicodin, but by comparison, the best you can get without a prescription is Panadine Extra, which is 15mg codeine with 500mg paracetamol. So you need to take four tablets to get proper pain relief and your whole daily allotment at once to feel good. Getting a prescription for Panadine Fort (30/500) halves the necessary amount. Hydrocodone works out to something like 6:1 so presumably Vicodin is 5-10mg each and thus you don't need as many, and thus as much liver damage.

Endone (5mg oxycodone ~= 50mg codeine, plus 500mg paracetamol) gets you by on just two tablets at once assuming your condition isn't a "lying in a hospital bed" one (at which point you generally go to the ~=20:1 of morphine injections (with no paracetamol, and people there to make sure you don't forget to breathe or choke on your own vomit) or up to fentanyl).

I know you know all that (except maybe "how much Koumei needs to get the medically intended effect or the personally desired effect"), I'm just displaying my penis sizeunderstanding. I've done enough research to know I'm on the edge of what they recommend, and what the ideal medication would be. Just not enough research to know how much of a safety buffer there is between doctor recommendations and actual limits, nor how to effectively reduce the harm without reducing my quality of life.

Damnit, I really need to catch cancer. You get that from standing in the rain, right? Or is it the one badgers give people?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

deanruel87 wrote:Would it be possible to overcome Cerebral Palsy if an individual had unlimited dedication and decent medical support if the process was begun at an early age? If the character did daily versions of the Kill Bill "move your big toe" process and never stopped would it be possible? I'd like the character to be seen as empowering to people who know the disease well so I'd like it to be at least theoretically possible rather than saying my character got better in a way which is impossible and magical.
Cerebral Palsy is a spectrum that runs from total invalid status to only mild impairment. It's non-progressive, but prolonged periods of movement failure can lead to progressive musculoskeletal maldevelopment. You could get put into an external exerciser that would keep your muscles toned no matter how severe your condition was. The actual damage to the motor control centers doesn't really heal, but brain plasticity being what it is, it is possible for some people with cerebral palsy to master specific kinds of movement with practice and training.

I assume you want something like this, and this is totally a real thing.
Koumei wrote:I know you know all that
I totally didn't actually. Panadeine Extra is a brand name, and things are only sold under that name in Australia and New Zealand. I had to look it up. In the rest of the world, that's called "Tylenol 3" or "Co-codamol."

-Username17
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Go for spinal injury. That can take years to heal, paralyze you nearly any degree, and can also (rarely) heal pretty much completely.
I personally know someone who had the exact same injury as Christopher Reeves. Same injury, same vertebra, even the same cause (thrown from a horse). He was similarly paralyzed for a long time, but now he just walks a little oddly.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Oh, or crazy brain trauma. That's extra neat, because one of the (sometimes) effective treatments is deep brain stimulation. Fantastic video for Parkinson's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBh2LxTW0s0

...though the same basic treatment fixes all kinds of problems. It's crazy voodoo magic though; it obviously and repeatably works, but the explanations for why are a little hand-wavey.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

When under the effect of Local anesthesia which does not function perfectly, so you still feel pain, and the doctor tells you something like: "Tell me to stop if it hurts too much".

How are you supposed to determine if you're suffering from too much pain?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Can you bear it? The doc doesn't want you moving nor in crazy pain.

[edit:] I should belatedly add here, there's no point in being in undue pain and waiting to see how much you can bear. Without knowing specifics, typically a doctor won't be terribly annoyed if you let them know that you need more numbing. You don't get a gold star for being a hero.

Occasionally I hold eyelids for doctors removing sutures from corneas and such and in those cases we'd rather the eye be totally numb from topical anesthetic drops than have a patient who will be feeling it since that can cause additional tearing and movement (which especially isn't desired when your manipulating a blade around the front of someone's eye). Once the patient starts feeling stuff that means the numbing drops are wearing off and we'd rather be informed then than once it wears off even further.

[aside]
Worst doctor-inflicted pain I've ever had was when my nose was being cauterized for a nosebleed that wouldn't stop... they numbed it with a needle up my nostril before proceeding. My body was shaking 30 minutes later from the pain of the needle that brought the anesthetic. I can't imagine that whatever they did was worse than what that needle brought. I tolerate pain well but nothing else has ever made my body shake uncontrollably afterward. That was creepy.
Last edited by erik on Sat May 24, 2014 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
LurkMOAR
NPC

Post by LurkMOAR »

Anyone know anything I can do to relieve gastric distress from Metformin? I try taking them with meals and that doesn't seem to help any. Is that something I can pop an immodium for, or would that be a bad idea?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

LurkMOAR wrote:Anyone know anything I can do to relieve gastric distress from Metformin? I try taking them with meals and that doesn't seem to help any. Is that something I can pop an immodium for, or would that be a bad idea?
If you start metformin slowly and gradually increase the dosage and take it with meals, gastric distress is less likely to occur. Once you're on a steady dose, the gastric distress should go away on its own. If your gastric distress manifests as diarrhea (which it usually does), then immodium should help for as long as the reaction persists. If it's pain, it should respond to analgesics, and so on.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

summer is back.
so are my allergies.
mainly my eyes go from itchy to burning and back without rhyme nor reason and are constantly tearing up as well.
otherwise the sneezes and my damn mouth and throat being itchy on the inside . .
what are good ways to get rid of the annoyance of having basically my own body fight itself over some plant sperm? <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You can get a variety of antihistamines, and you should be able to find one that works for you. Failing that, hookworms. Just give your immune system something to actually fight.

(I am not a doctor, you should first check with Ant before finding various infections to get.)
erik
King

Post by erik »

Lastacaft and Pataday seem to be really effective 1/day eye drops at preventing allergic conjunctivitis since eyes were your worst complaint. The may have different brand names in Germany. Could ask an optometrist or ophthalmologist what they recommend.
LurkMOAR
NPC

Post by LurkMOAR »

FrankTrollman wrote:
LurkMOAR wrote:Anyone know anything I can do to relieve gastric distress from Metformin? I try taking them with meals and that doesn't seem to help any. Is that something I can pop an immodium for, or would that be a bad idea?
If you start metformin slowly and gradually increase the dosage and take it with meals, gastric distress is less likely to occur. Once you're on a steady dose, the gastric distress should go away on its own. If your gastric distress manifests as diarrhea (which it usually does), then immodium should help for as long as the reaction persists. If it's pain, it should respond to analgesics, and so on.

-Username17
It didn't bother me at first, I've been at max dosage for about three months now. Just lately it's been tearing me up. I'll try immodium then.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

LurkMOAR wrote:
It didn't bother me at first, I've been at max dosage for about three months now. Just lately it's been tearing me up. I'll try immodium then.
That's the opposite of the way it usually goes, and while that probably isn't a sign of life threatening lactic acidosis, it actually could be. I'd ask to get my arterial blood gases done and shit just to rule that out.

-Username17
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

@Stahlseele - An antihistamine of some type is probably your best bet. For me, Loratadine is the best. It lasts a long time, it actually works - well enough that I can leave Benadryl (diphenhydramine) behind - and I have minimal side effects (none).

:)
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
LurkMOAR
NPC

Post by LurkMOAR »

FrankTrollman wrote:
LurkMOAR wrote:
That's the opposite of the way it usually goes, and while that probably isn't a sign of life threatening lactic acidosis, it actually could be. I'd ask to get my arterial blood gases done and shit just to rule that out.

-Username17
Hmm... I'm not showing any other symptoms, but getting that checked out wouldn't hurt. I've got a pretty good insurance plan (THANKS OBAMA!).

If it means "not dying", then I'll switch meds, but I'm really scared of having to go on insulin. The metformin controls my blood sugar pretty well, and the weight loss side effect is pretty helpful; My doctor said my diabetes is not very severe, and I MIGHT be able to reverse it with weight loss and lifestyle changes (but no promises).
Last edited by LurkMOAR on Sun May 25, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Maj / erik:
thanks, i will ask around for these or similar stuff over here.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

Post by Nachtigallerator »

Stahlseele wrote:@Maj / erik:
thanks, i will ask around for these or similar stuff over here.
Ceterizin is available OTC in german pharmacies and pretty cheap, you could try that for symptom relief. The pharmacist insisted my doctor recommended it for "hay fever", which I don't have, but it works against dust mite allergy, too.