WTF RPG.net?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

codeGlaze
Duke

WTF RPG.net?

Post by codeGlaze »

I followed a link from google... or duckduckgo, which ever, to RPG.net and landed on a page that banned my IP. Now all I get is 503 errors when trying to access the site. (It loads from a mobile connection)

Anyone else ever have this happen? O.o
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Uh, no, but, changing your IP isn't overly difficult, you should be able to find a tutorial on line.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Your PC is trying to protect you from having to visit rpg.net
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Koumei wrote:Your PC is trying to protect you from having to visit rpg.net
Haha, entirely possible.
That was possibly one of the weirdest things to happen to me on these here intertoobz.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

It's possible the link caused your IP to interact with a part of the site you didn't have the permissions to view and that caused a protocol issue between the site and your computer.
Last edited by darkmaster on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

I had a similar issue. Rpg.net appears to have IP-banned my uni's wi-fi access point. Try accessing the site from someplace else in meatspace.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Well, if you're at a university, there's a distinct possibility that someone in your uni got themselves IP banned.
Kaelik wrote:

codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

darkmaster wrote:It's possible the link caused your IP to interact with a part of the site you didn't have the permissions to view and that caused a protocol issue between the site and your computer.
That's what I was guessing, too. But auto-banning an IP for following a publically available link is both heavy handed and stupid. (Par for the course I guess.)

If anyone cares, it was a link to a thread where someone was looking for LEGAL pdf copies of 2e. Sort of amusing.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

It is definitely your IP and not a cookie setting or something? You can't get through on another browser or after deleting the rpg.net cookies?
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

503 error is apparantly their spam blocker.

That took me a quick google search to find out.

I would suggest trying a different browser, though you probably have already, just to make sure that it isn't your cache or cookies that are the problem.

If it isn't and you can still access the site from your phone, then post there.

If not, you might have to email ShannonA, who apparently handles this problem.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

They have issues with sockpuppets so they tend to do IP blocks. It's a common and recurrent problem with their heavy-handed asshole mods.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Ancient History wrote:They have issues with sockpuppets so they tend to do IP blocks. It's a common and recurrent problem with their heavy-handed asshole mods.
It's just weird because I don't have an account there, oviously wasn't logging in or posting, but just followed a link to their forum then BAM!

I'm sort of curious what the hell caused them to set up such a shitty filter.

@hyzmarca : Thanks, I may actually ask to be unblocked just because I randomly stumble on their stuff often enough for that to be annoying.
Last edited by codeGlaze on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

codeGlaze wrote:But auto-banning an IP for following a publically available link is both heavy handed and stupid.
It's rpg.net-town, Jake.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Why do you visit RPG.net? What value do you get out of it? I sometimes post on there for D&D4e stuff and that's about it.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

OgreBattle wrote:Why do you visit RPG.net? What value do you get out of it? I sometimes post on there for D&D4e stuff and that's about it.
For my part it's stuff like the city built around the Tarrasque. There are a lot of pretty imaginative people over there, and sometimes the energy comes together and a neat idea pops out.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Would it not be easier just to get infinite monkeys with typewriters? Obviously not golden tamarin monkeys as they're too small to exert the necessary pressure on the keys.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

But they'd be smarter than most of the rpg.net posters and all of the staff. I think that's enough of an advantage to justify springing for touchscreens.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

What is the deal with Rpg.net exactly? Why bother going through all that to block people? Do they get a lot of spam or site attacks compared to other places?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

There are a whole lot of people who hate the site, and thus a whole lot of people who try to disrupt the site. And even more people who try to get around the erratic and mindless decisions of the people who supposedly police it.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Does RPG.net moderation lean towards LAW or CHAOS
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Does Alice's Queen of Hearts and her court lean towards law or chaos?

Same answer.
Last edited by Dogbert on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

RPG.net is TRUE ASSHOLE, and has been unwavering in their dedication to their worm-gods since the beginning.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

I've been a mod/admin for a forum before and I actually admin a few websites... IP banning is not normally something you have on auto-pilot.

@Ogre : I honestly don't post there, I just occasionally follow links in their direction.