What is Warhammer Fantasy's power scale in D&D terms?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

What is Warhammer Fantasy's power scale in D&D terms?

Post by OgreBattle »

Warhammer Fantasy is a miniatures battle game where you have dirt farming conscripts being lead by gryphon riding dragonslayers.

It's easy to mark the Bretonnian conscripts and Goblin fodder as having 1 level in a crappy NPC class, but how about the gryphon riding heroes with magic swords and meteor dropping wizards? My gut feeling is that the heroes wound be around level 6-7, with greater daemons around level 10 threats. So the level 6 heroes come in groups with magic weapons to raise their effective level.

I mean more in terms of Warhammer Fantasy lore than tabletop rules, 'cause in tabletop rules a large enough mob of peasants can ping a greater daemon to death but in the backstory it's heroes riding monsters and wielding magic weapons that take on greater daemons.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The Greater Daemon of Khorne is basically a Balor or Pit Fiend. It looks like one, it flies, it breaks people in half. The D&D monsters cast spells, Khorne Flakes simply makes everyone nearby go into a furious rage and can "non-magically" hurl bolts of fire.

On the other hand, the Greater Daemon of Tzeench looks like an oversized Vrock and basically casts as a Sorcerer that focuses in Evocation and Transmutation. It can't do anything that a 10th level D&D Sorcerer can't do, really. I mean, other than grab people and rip them in halfPolymorph lol

Nurgle is a big sack of disease, and immunity to Disease is not exactly difficult to pick up in D&D. Other than that, it brings the same things to the table that a particularly nasty troll does.

The casters of WHFB can generally get to around level 10 (D&D terms). Remember that some of them are shit like vampires on top of being 10th level Necromancers.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

According to one of the WFB reviews on this forum, a mage can summon a bunch of elementals each as or more threatening than a knight with the same number of advancements. So summoning magic scales pretty well, you can deploy a squad capable of tearing through an army of tiny men.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

I wouldn't rate bloodthirsters as equivalent to balors and pit fiends simply because they happen to look similar and fit similar organizational roles. It's probably best to think of it as a giant flying bruiser with some ritual magic and give it a cr based on the CRs of its context, probably in fhe 10 to 15 range depending on what you give the elite units like knights and Chaos warriors.