D&D 5e has failed

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Chamomile wrote: But also, yes, the primary source of disagreement here is that every time, in any group, that getting either a boat or a castle has been an option, it has immediately become a high priority. For the Kingmaker group, that's not surprising, the group is probably self selecting for the kind of person who sees an island on the world map and immediately resolves to build Barad-Dur on top of it, but it also happened with completely unrelated groups in three other games (four, if you add "a shop" to boats and castles, although that one was motivated by a desire to make even more money rather than a direct desire to own real estate).

Your assertion that people don't want castles unless they do something has been exactly the opposite of my experience: People always want castles unless they come packaged with an obligation to play a new mini-game.

My experience is that the castles issue usually either A. Does nothing because players spend the money and then it plays no relevance in the plot. This makes people who spent for it pissed off.
or B. The people who buy it want everything to be about it which pisses off all the players who were invested in stopping the necromancer from taking over the world or whatever todays quest was. Finally, if the castle would be relevant to the plot the GM will give you one as part of the plot. That makes the option of buying one seem very fake.
tussock wrote:
Hey souron. There's people have studied what players like, and modern PC games are heavily based on the psychology of it all to maximise profits. .... Anyway, your "it feels like getting nothing" complaint is essentially about a lack of screen time.
Yes, exactly. This is why I said that the item has to exist. If you make a huge expendature for a castle and it turns out your game is Indiana Jonesing you across the world map in search of means to stop the world from ending then you are going to be a bit pissed off.

World of Warcraft sells lots of cosmetic only items. However, those items exist. If you buy the 1 million gold purple loin cloth of azeroth it may not do anything to help you raid but you can teabag your foes with it till their eyes bleed. They can't turn it off and as long as you are co located with people they can't ignore its existence.

Contrast this to a castle that you can spend your D&D monies on that just never appears in the adventure. Its not even close to the same thing.

FrankTrollman wrote: The term you are looking for isn't that D&D players aren't rational actors. Indeed, the fact that D&D players generally have much more time to consider their actions during high stress situations makes them behave much more "rationally" than real people do in their own lives. The point is that they exist at a point in the hierarchy of needs where their security is completely assured. Nothing that happens in the game can seriously harm them, because they are playing a game. Even the death of their character is not necessarily the end of their game since they can and often do just make a new character.
No I mean economic rational actors. The distance between the D&D player and their character affects how they interact with the world. We both agree that the player doesn't experience the danger associated with adventurering that the character does. However, they also don't have to taste bad food, sleep in bad beds, or otherwise deal with the discomfort their character does. They may be sympathetic too it, but they don't experience it. Their risk/reward pyramid is all screwed up. Players characters are like roulettle players who bet the whole house on black over and over and over again.

From a psychological standpoint they are rational, and like you say are making informed reasonable choices for the situation that they, the player, find themselves in. However, from an economic perspective player characters are basically broken cogs in the economic wheel.

You don't spend your whole life looking for the treasure of the Sierra Madre and then turn around and use proceeds of that to look for secret Nazi gold.

Again, the fact that it seems like every Inn across the forgotten realms has a 5th level half-elf fighter/mage as its proprietor is both very silly and very reasonable. As soon as you can afford to stop risking life and limb because you have enough gold for an elfs lifetime a rational actor would.

However, this logic doesn't apply to players. They don't go "we found the treasure! time to retire these characters!" they want to use the treasure from defeating the dragon to...go kill a bigger meaner dragon.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Souran wrote:No I mean economic rational actors.
You probably don't. Or at least, the concept of economic rational actors isn't terribly interesting with respect to 5e D&D. Gold Pieces aren't fungible for all the goods and services you want, and thus from an economics standpoint, Gold Pieces Are Not Money. The fact that people have a finite demand for Gold Pieces is totally compatible with being rational actors. In the same way that efficient market theories don't pretend that everyone has a limitless demand for backrubs or blowjobs.

Really, if you aren't going to have a giant funnel you can pore gold into to give yourself extra +1s here and there like in 3rd edition (which you probably should not), then you're going to want to either just stop pretending that giving gold in treasure is meaningful around the time you stop pretending the player characters care about non-magical spears as treasure, or have a robust set of minigames to raise armies, conquer territories, and expand trade routes and shit. You need to do one of those two things, and 5th edition did not do them because it is terrible and also under designed.

-Username17
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

souran wrote: My experience is that the castles issue usually either A. Does nothing because players spend the money and then it plays no relevance in the plot. This makes people who spent for it pissed off.
or B. The people who buy it want everything to be about it which pisses off all the players who were invested in stopping the necromancer from taking over the world or whatever todays quest was.
Have you ever attempted to portray boats/castles using a level of detail between "literally just saying 'okay, you have a castle' and never bringing it up again" or "entire logistics and dragons mini-game and/or plot arc dedicated exclusively to having a castle?" Because I have yet to meet a player who didn't think it was cool to describe what they were going to do with their personal tower/deck/whatever of a castle/boat, regardless of how much mechanical relevance it had. The goal of playing the Sims is, for many people, making enough money to design an awesome house (building up stat points to max out a dream career is another popular one, as is filling up relationship meters with all the cool people and/or literally everyone in the neighborhood - these aren't as easily ported to D&D, but they play into the same basic fantasy of pretending to be more wealthy, successful, and popular than you actually are).

You seem really laser-focused on the logistics and dragons angle and, upon realizing that the vast majority of randomly assembled D&D groups consist at least 50% of people who don't want to bother with that, don't seem to have realized that if that isn't why people want castles, then maybe it's because they want castles for a different reason and not because they're too stupid to know what's good for them.

I'll also note that parties at level 5 and 6 continue to care about looting non-magical spears as treasure even after I tell them that looting goblins for this 5 sp bullshit is not worth my time, and if they want to know how many spears they can take off of the dead goblins they are going to have to start counting up the corpses themselves. I fully expected this to result in an acknowledgement that non-magical spears aren't worth the trouble. I was wrong. Almost every group has at least one person perfectly happy to start taking care of all the bookkeeping on 5 sp spears themselves, because Greyhawking every last piece of potentially useful loot continues to apparently be a valuable use of these players' time even after they ran out of things they might plausibly want to buy with that treasure.
jt
Knight

Post by jt »

Chamomile, could you go into more detail on what sorts of levels of castle commitment have went over well with players in the past? Some mid level commitments I can think of are explicitly saying that's where folks are spending their down time, NPCs mention your castle, and sometimes you need to go home and break a siege (as a filler adventure, not an arc). Maybe some options get old particularly fast, or don't satiate the "I have a castle" feeling well, and I'm curious where you think the bounds are and which tricks have the most leeway between too much and not enough.

Especially interested in any times you've had some players interested in a logistics minigame and others who only want their holdings mentioned in passing.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Unfortunately, the only time I've heard players express an interest in a logistics game was in the Kingmaker game, which obviously selected strongly for players who were interested in that sort of thing, and in my old Star Wars game, which coincidentally had enough players interested in that sort of thing that the odd man out shrugged his shoulders and rolled with it.

For people who want castles without logistics, though, the desire has always focused very strongly on having their own personal section of the castle to build a temple to their god/a thieves' guild/a mercenary company's office/whatever. And that remains priority one even in Kingmaker where there's mechanical teeth to the decisions made. The desire for things like an island in the middle of a river to build Barad-Dur on top of becomes the fundamental requirement for the logistics and dragons game, with the rest of the strategy built around that.

So, the amount of commitment has to be that players have enough control over what the house or boat looks like to personalize it, and that the house or boat is centrally located or mobile enough that they can be hanging out in it when one of their underlings brings a quest hook to their attention. Also, once they have a house or boat, acquiring sweet trophies to hang on the walls becomes a priority. Acquiring sweet trophies is sometimes a priority anyway, but once people have a house or a boat to put the trophies in, it becomes much more common. The more often you can add in descriptive references to the trophies they've accrued and/or the aesthetic vibe they've laid down for their personal castle tower or ship deck, the happier they are. Actual mechanical benefits are completely optional, and if they do exist, they had better either be something that you specifically advertised for (because "players who want logistics and dragons" is the second most common kind, right after "players who just want to stab goblins with no add-ons at all," so if you make a game whose premise is logistics and dragons and ask the internet for players, you will find some) or else no more complicated than acquiring a magic item.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

People love having a spot in their game they can make their own.

The house in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist is easily one of the most popular parts of the module. At least that's my impression from reddit, review articles, session recap blogs and my own group.

People like the idea of a headquarters, a place to hang out at and feel safe in. Fixing, upgrading, adding-to and generally customizing a space in the shared-world is definitely something a lot of players enjoy. (Obviously to varying degrees.)

So it's really not a huge stretch to imagine a person or group saving, trading and otherwise working toward having a sweet location/building they can call their own. Especially as they start to approach stupid-rich levels of wealth.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

codeGlaze wrote:People love having a spot in their game they can make their own.

The house in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist is easily one of the most popular parts of the module. At least that's my impression from reddit, review articles, session recap blogs and my own group.

People like the idea of a headquarters, a place to hang out at and feel safe in. Fixing, upgrading, adding-to and generally customizing a space in the shared-world is definitely something a lot of players enjoy. (Obviously to varying degrees.)

So it's really not a huge stretch to imagine a person or group saving, trading and otherwise working toward having a sweet location/building they can call their own. Especially as they start to approach stupid-rich levels of wealth.
Thing is, in a video game you can actually see your house and whatnot, whereas in a TT game, well, somebody will have to describe it words and that can get boring fast.

Contrast with "Fashion Souls", the trend in Dark Souls of people equiping whatever armor looks cooler instead of whatever grants better stats, since the game has several pretty sweet armor arts. Similarly in Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls and beyond plenty of players will actively hunt down certain sets just for their looks even if the stats are inferior to other available options.

But in D&D that's much harder to pull since either you need to describe everything or have a drawing/miniature for your character that doesn't necessiarly reflect what items they have and so virtually everybody just goes for whatever armor grants the best numbers regardless of how it looks.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I have been a PC and a GM in a number of games where decorating a stronghold became an important consideration. When treasure was described we would try to take it home.

It wasn't a huge deal.

Armor that is described well is tempting, and I've seen people switch from one armor to another equal armor that is 'designer', but it's rare that someone will downgrade because they like the intricate pattern of boar's teeth inlaid in the metal.
-This space intentionally left blank
jt
Knight

Post by jt »

Thanks for the castle advice. I knew customization was a big part of it but I think I under-valued it, and I really didn't consider trophy hunting as a motivation at all.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

What's the down side to cribbing from every RPG video game in the last 10 years and having 'spending more on lifestyle costs' give you noncombat bonuses?

Stay at the Squalor Hotel and you're sheltered and fed. Stay at the House of Platinum Pleasures and you get, say, a bardic Inspiration die that last until your next Long Rest, or maybe a "treat any 1's rolled when you spend hit dice as a 2" or some combination thereof?

As a low level adventurer, you're trying to scrabble together enough money to afford to stay in nice Inns before hard adventures/fights. Later on, you're accumulating enough wealth that you can construct your own stronghold that provides the same bonuses when you stay at it. Extra $$$ invested gives a wider range of bonuses.

Heck, it could play into class powers also - maybe one of the things the Ranger or Druid is good for is generating those same kinds of bonuses in the wild.

Edit:
other than the obvious downside of needing to create a new subsystem to cover Inns, Strongholds, the like, with enough variety that in most campaigns you won't finish the list.
Last edited by Ferret on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Well, the downside to adding a new system that grants character power is that you now have to balance the game against either players using the system well, or using the system poorly, and the other group ends up experiencing a game that's a bit too easy or too hard.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

How many ways do you want your system to have to let people turn coins into power? Some players will create spreadsheets to figure out the optimal power at any given point and some won’t. This will create a gap between those who did their homework and those who didn’t. How big do you want that gap to be, and how much work should it be to create said spreadsheet?
Pedantic
Journeyman

Post by Pedantic »

RobbyPants wrote:How many ways do you want your system to have to let people turn coins into power? Some players will create spreadsheets to figure out the optimal power at any given point and some won’t. This will create a gap between those who did their homework and those who didn’t. How big do you want that gap to be, and how much work should it be to create said spreadsheet?
Isn't this the problem with literally any system that provides choices to players? Surely you just pick an orientation for the design and lay that out in your "what this game is about" chapter, and then let the players self-select for whatever it is you're doing. There's obviously an upper crunch limit before the interested player pool is too small to be worth it, but it seems like you could get away with a lot if you just laid out your intentions in the game's introduction.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

There's going to be a spectrum of 'sufficiently powerful' in whatever system you're talking about. It's not required that characters that are really good at talking to people also have to be really good at wilderness survival - having some people who are 'better' is okay. With that said, it's important to decide if ONLY the 'better' person should be able to contribute. It's also important to decide what trade-offs you're willing to accept - for example, trading power in combat for power outside of combat might not be a good idea if combat is a major focus.

Setting that aside, you also are going to have some abilities that stop mattering. These can be important for a time. Having a castle is important when you're taking territory and building a 'settled area'. But it becomes significantly less important when you start plane-hopping. It's okay for abilities to become less significant over time. Having a castle that your underlings are running while you do other things is still cool and it CAN come up in some cases in a relevant way.

Ultimately you want to make sure that players understand that they can 'graduate' from one economy to another. Living like a peasant to scrape up enough money to buy Plate armor can be rewarding; but shortly after Plate armor is acquired, the PCs should have ready access to gold and nothing much to do with it except lifestyle. Political office, acquiring a keep, or setting up a major business are things that you can do with gold; but you shouldn't be able to build up more and more adventuring power with it. After gold stops mattering for adventuring power, it becomes a resource they can devote to other things. It's okay if those things mostly boil down to 'wouldn't it be cool' style wish fulfillment.
-This space intentionally left blank
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Ferret wrote: What's the down side to cribbing from every RPG video game in the last 10 years and having 'spending more on lifestyle costs' give you noncombat bonuses?

Stay at the Squalor Hotel and you're sheltered and fed. Stay at the House of Platinum Pleasures and you get, say, a bardic Inspiration die that last until your next Long Rest, or maybe a "treat any 1's rolled when you spend hit dice as a 2" or some combination thereof?

As a low level adventurer, you're trying to scrabble together enough money to afford to stay in nice Inns before hard adventures/fights. Later on, you're accumulating enough wealth that you can construct your own stronghold that provides the same bonuses when you stay at it. Extra $$$ invested gives a wider range of bonuses.

other than the obvious downside of needing to create a new subsystem to cover Inns, Strongholds, the like, with enough variety that in most campaigns you won't finish the list.
There's already plenty of spells, conveniently divided by levels and formulas to convert them to gold per use.

Stuff like Heroe's Feast already is literally just eating really good food. So why not a hotel with an high-level restaurant whose food is good enough to replicate a Heroe's feast? With a significant discount compared to just buying an Heroe's feast scroll.

Some people have an aversion to spending resources on "temporary" buffs. In that case just add the option to just buy the high level restaurant so you can always heroe's feast when you want (also cost formulas for that) and don't need to make a reservation or anything, they'll always have a table for you and the rest of the party.

From there it's just a matter of coming with fancy names for the places and assigning each the bonus of a specfic spell appropriate for the level.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
SeekritLurker
Apprentice

Post by SeekritLurker »

phlapjackage wrote:It's a fire sale
https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/27/latest ... n-manuals/
Third party stuff. So, it's shovelware, not a fire sale.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Is it shovelware because it's third party stuff? Wizards of the Coast set the bar pretty low.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

OH MY GOD, WE'RE HAVING A FIRE... sale... THE BURNING!

Seriously what is all this shit? Are any of these 3rd party publishers making enough money on 5e tie-in products to eat, or is it all glorified vanity press BS?
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Mord wrote:
OH MY GOD, WE'RE HAVING A FIRE... sale... THE BURNING!

Seriously what is all this shit? Are any of these 3rd party publishers making enough money on 5e tie-in products to eat, or is it all glorified vanity press BS?
Probably in the sense of any publicity is good publicity. Also no; 3rd-party publishing does not pay a living wage unless you go in heavy on KickStarters or are big leaguers like Kobold Press.

Speaking of big leaguers...

Additionally a fair amount of those are Frog God Games, who is one of the larger 3PPs. They have a history of using Humble Bundles to get their books on wider radars, and affiliates like Tenkar's Tavern regularly promote their sales.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.p ... D-Producer

Mike Mearls' is not losing his job (he's Creative Director), but they are hiring someone to be his boss (Executive Producer), while the franchise bosses ... I have no idea what any of those people do. VP of signing the cheques and placing the blame, probs.

Anyone want to get the blame for Tabletop D&D not meeting expectations next couple quarters? It'll be your fault if it doesn't grow, but you won't be allowed to fix the rules in any way. Hmm.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

I think a shared wiki for the castle is a great idea. So that players can write in that they hung the Dragonshield in the west corridor, with a picture. And if you really want to be a service GM, you can have the draconic assassins ambush a PC in the west corridor later.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
jt
Knight

Post by jt »

tussock wrote:Anyone want to get the blame for Tabletop D&D not meeting expectations next couple quarters? It'll be your fault if it doesn't grow, but you won't be allowed to fix the rules in any way. Hmm.
Everything about the job posting looks like they're interested in expanding D&D the brand, and don't give a shit about D&D the tabletop RPG. Looks like they're looking to license it out and do some in-house video games.

As a business this makes a lot of sense. Splatbooks aren't the best business model, since you're selling to a niche within a niche and don't even have recurring payments to make up for it. They could turn a profit on it, but there has to be something more profitable under the Hasbro umbrella for them to reinvest capital on.

I think it'd be possible to make real company profits selling a TTRPG, but it'd involve taking control of secondary markets first. If Wizards first bought up DM's Guild, Roll20, and Campaign Cartographer (or your favorite equivalent tools, or just built better ones), then they'd have an actual reason to build a better rules system to encourage people to buy into their product ecosystem.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

jt wrote:Everything about the job posting looks like they're interested in expanding D&D the brand, and don't give a shit about D&D the tabletop RPG. Looks like they're looking to license it out and do some in-house video games.
WotC has made bank off of those Elminster and Drizz't novels for a while, gotta give the fanboys what they want. [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

So, here, WotC claims the following sales numbers for the Starter Kit (not the PHB):

2014: 126,870
2015: 91,190
2016: 123,990
2017: 185,580
2018: 306,670

Critical Role debuted in March 2015, Stranger Things debuted in July 2016, and D&D Beyond launched in August 2017.
Last edited by Stubbazubba on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.