[Let's Play] Blood Sword V - The Walls of Spyte

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I don't think 'left-hand blessing' means anything good. Directly ahead, for the oracle.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pepito engages in the same healing procedure as last time.

And I agree with angel that "left-hand blessing" sounds ominous. Then again, so does "of great value if you can pay the price." Gift Star seems to be all about the "close a door, open a window" model of gifting. Eh, I guess I'll go with the Oracle since they might give a hint on how safe the blessing is.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Healing roll = 2x11 = 22 END regained.

Warrior is up to 25 END.

Sage is down to 11 END.
The door leads into an octagonal room with some stairs up at the far end. In the middle of the room is a shallow pit, out of which a golden light billows up. In it a smoky visage forms, a huge glowing face, rippling like water. Its eyes and mouth are mere black rents in a mask of golden vapour. The face speaks, with a voice like the sound of metal rasping on stone. 'I am the Oracle of Gift Star. If you pay the price, I will speak for you.' You ask what the price is, but it merely says: 'Pay the price or leave me be. Choose.' Nothing else you try will get any other response.

Will you agree to pay the price or leave and go up the stairs behind it?
DO we want to agree to this mysterious "price"?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

We've come this far; let's pay up.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Uh, no, I'm not making a deal with a notorious malicious prankster for a price to be revealed after I've agreed. We've been told that the info isn't worthless, but that doesn't mean the price isn't 'our lives' or some bullshit. Walk on by.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:that doesn't mean the price isn't 'our lives' or some bullshit
"Your items" is much, much worse. *shudder*
Ignore it, maybe it'll cave in and give a price quote we'll actually find acceptable.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Leave.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You ascend the stairs. As you near the top it appears that they end in a blank stone wall, but a step shifts under you, and a door-shaped slab of stone rumbles upwards ahead of you. Stepping through into a filthy chamber of natural rock, you are greeted by a hideous sight and an overpowering smell that is utterly foul. Before you is a creature of bubbling slime that continually changes its form before your eyes. It exudes pseudopods, tentacles, chitinous insectoid limbs and huge grasping arms seemingly at random. Glutinous eyes open over its body, and stalks and antennae rip out of it, some with eyes or mouths at their tips, before being sucked back into the amorphous slime that constitutes its being. Gaping maws, lined with teeth or dripping ichor, split open or seal over with a sickening plopping sound. Some orifices emit noxious gases, others sinewy tongues running with organic juices or coated in vicious-looking rasping spines.

You are seized with revulsion. Then, to your horror, the slab of stone behind you slams shut with a thundering crash, and the being scuttles towards you on myriad insectoid legs. You must fight.

The Anarch
Fighting Prowess: 8 Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 12 Damage per blow: 3 Dice
Armour Rating: variable
Endurance: 30

Note: Every time you strike it, roll one Die. That is its Armour Rating - that is, what type of skin it happens to have in the area you hit at that time. When it attacks, roll one Die. This is the number of attacks it will make against its chosen target - that is, how many appendages it happens to have at that time to attack with. It also regenerates. When it is its turn to act, roll one Die. That is the number of lost Endurance it regains. It can never have more than thirty Endurance. It is immune to Servile Enthralment (it has no mind as humans would understand it), but all other spells work as normal. Every time it does damage to someone, roll one Die:

1 or 2: Nothing.
3 or 4: Make a Psychic Ability check or be paralysed for three Rounds.
5 or 6: Lose one from Fighting Prowess (Enchanters lose one from Psychic Ability) for the duration of this combat.

You cannot flee. If you destroy it, turn to 423.
The auto-heal ability probably isn't going matter much, since the heroes' damage output per round goes way beyond that. Most of the rest of the abilities combined makes it more of a major nuisance rather than a threat, but if it happens to roll a 5 or 6 for the number of 3d6 attacks it can have against its opponent, that can be pretty lethal.

Strategies?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I think the real question is "will it jump Reed and get enough attacks off to kill him before he can cast Nemesis Bolt?"

I'll shoot a magic arrow at it, but I genuinely don't expect this sucker to last more than a round.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Nemesis Bolt, then swordthrust. This should be over quickly.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I step up to it and start hacking.
Darth Rabbitt wrote:I think the real question is "will it jump Reed and get enough attacks off to kill him before he can cast Nemesis Bolt?"
It's not going to win, and jumping Reed is the least effective strategy to do damage, because if it does, I get to stab it twice in the first round.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Engage and whack. Not a lot of room for creativity here, I think.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Let's see if it lasts more than 1 round....

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 12 acts ...

The Anarch moves and engages Warrior.

Awareness 9 acts ...

Trickster moves and engages the Anarch.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights the Anarch. Anarch Rolls for Armour Rating = 4. Damage = 6+3-4 = 5. The Anarch has 25 END left.

Warrior fights the Anarch with off-hand. Anarch Rolls for Armour Rating = 4. Damage = 11+3-4 = 10. The Anarch has 15 END left.

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt. Anarch Rolls for Armour Rating = 3. Damage = 26+7-3 = 30. The Anarch is destroyed.
At last the thing falls quiescent. Taking no chances, you hack it into small pieces. Amid the foul-smelling blubber, you find a short golden rod with the number 100 engraved on it. Note it down on your Character Sheet, and make sure you record the number 100 beside it. There is no way out of here, save that you notice a small hole in the slab behind you. Inserting the rod once and pulling it out again seems to activate the mechanism and the slab slides up once more. You retrace your steps uneventfully back to the main chamber of coloured doors.
We need a volunteer to carry the gold rod. We still have free slots at the moment, but from the look of things, we'll also be needing a number of slots if there are rods behind every door (Not to mention other possible loot).

Speaking of which....which door do we try next?

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 12
Psychic Ability: 7
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 25/50
Damage: 2 Dice +3

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
3 Plate Armour (Armour Rating four)
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 10 (+3 from Blood Sword)
Awareness: 9
Endurance: 28/42
Damage: 4 Dice +1 (+2d6 Damage from Blood Sword)

Items:
1 Blood Sword (+3 FP, +2d6 Damage)
2 Studded Leather Armour (Armour Rating 2)
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (5 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Book (looted from crystalized corpse) - turn to 493 if read
9 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
10 Empty Slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 8 (+1 from magic gold ring)
Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 11/36
Damage: 2 Dice +1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Magic Bow (+1 FP when using Archery)
5 Enameled Quiver (5 magic arrows - does 1d6 +3 damage)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Magic Gold Ring (+1 FP)
9-10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 15
Endurance: 17/36
Damage: 1 Die +3

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty Slot
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I will pack mule. I move we do Plague Star last, in case he hits us with a progressive degeneration effect. I don't really care otherwise, so half a vote for White Light.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

White Light, because it sounds the least terrible of the rest and we're wounded, but wait on Pepito.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

White Light sounds fine to me.

I'll spend 10 EP on healing. First 10 go back to Pepito, then I'll focus on getting Kiki back up to 30, then Reed up to 20, and the remainder after that (if any) goes to me (so I can heal for more in the future, and in case I get jumped by something).
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:then same for Benedict
I'm at 28 and in fact the only one over 1/2 of max health, while Reed is at 17 and can be downed by a stray 3d6, so I'll abstain at least until I get properly whacked.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Starmaker wrote:
Darth Rabbitt wrote:then same for Benedict
I'm at 28 and in fact the only one over 1/2 of max health, while Reed is at 17 and can be downed by a stray 3d6, so I'll abstain at least until I get properly whacked.
Good point. Fixed.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Sure, I'm fine with White Light.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Healing roll = 5x10 = 50.

Warrior uses up 5 to get back to 30.

Enchanter uses 3 to get back to 20.

Sage goes back up to full END (36), using up 35.

There's still 7 END left over. I'll give them to the Enchanter, who's at the lowest END, bringing him up to 27. If there's any objections about that last bit, let me know how who you prefer to give those END to.
If you have a short rod of white steel, turn to 147. Otherwise, the handle of the door turns easily and you step through. Turn to 79.
We don't have that....yet.
The door reveals a large chamber of white stone, with a corridor leading off it at the far end. A lever of white steel lies in the wall beside this portal. However, it is the strange being in the centre of the room which draws you attention. It is man-shaped but difficult to make out. Its body is black, flecked with white dots - as if it were a window, fashioned in the shape of man, that opened out onto the limitless night sky before you. But this window moves. It seems to absorb the light from your torches, even your very thoughts, and confuses your brain when you look too closely at it.

If you have a Sage in the party, turn to 419. Otherwise, you must fight - turn to 410.
Again, it seems to be an auto-trigger, not an option.

SAGE:
You recognise the Biophage from Claudio Fiorillo's Forgotten Bestiary. It is a legendary creature that feeds off all life forms by absorbing the essence of life into itself, starting with thought patterns, nervous energy, etc. until the victim is drained and inert. Then it absorbs the physical body. They can be killed, but it must be done as quickly as possible. They are known to be susceptible to heat. The spells Volcano Spray and White Fire will do one Die extra damage against it.

Now turn to 410 and fight.
The extra dice damage would have sounded good.....if Reed weren't already so overpowered that he can still easily do way more damage with his auto-cast Nemesis Bolt.

Biophage
Fighting Prowess: 8 Psychic Ability: 9
Damage: absorbs 3 Dice per blow; armour does not count against it
Armour Rating: 4
Endurance: 30

Note: The Biophage absorbs energy from you each Round. Each combatant must make a Psychic Ability roll to resist its effects. If failed, you lose one point of Fighting Prowess (or Psychic Ability if an Enchanter) for the duration of this combat only.

If you flee, turn to 293. If you kill it, turn to 322.
Hmmmm.....normally I would assume the word "absorbs" means that the monster gains what we lose, but the text doesn't say so. Like the previous monster we faced, it's pretty squishy at 30 END, so shouldn't be much of the threat.

Strategies?

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 12
Endurance: 30/50
Damage: 2 Dice +3

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
3 Plate Armour (Armour Rating four)
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 10 (+3 from Blood Sword)
Awareness: 9
Endurance: 28/42
Damage: 4 Dice +1 (+2d6 Damage from Blood Sword)

Items:
1 Blood Sword (+3 FP, +2d6 Damage)
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (5 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Book (looted from crystalized corpse) - turn to 493 if read
9 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
10 Empty Slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 8 (+1 from magic gold ring)
Psychic Ability: 8
Endurance: 36/36
Damage: 2 Dice +1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Magic Bow (+1 FP when using Archery)
5 Enameled Quiver (5 magic arrows - does 1d6 +3 damage)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Magic Gold Ring (+1 FP)
9-10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 15
Endurance: 27/36
Damage: 1 Die +3

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty Slot
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Hah, little does the monster know; we are *all* biophages!

Nemesis Bolt, then swordthrust.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Nah, giving it to Reed is probably best.

This guy's a fucking joke since it can't even act before the party. I won't even waste a magic arrow on it. If Pepito gets the chance to attack he'll shoot a non-magic arrow from his magic bow, but I think even that is a waste. I'm tempted to use Quarterstaff Technique for no reason other than I think it's funny to trip a Force-eating psychedelic window man.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I'll wait on it to spend its first turn walking, then walk up to it and attack if by some miracle it survives to the end of the second round.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Wait, then if necessary engage and flail wildly.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 10 acts ...

Trickster waits

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior waits.

Enchanter casts Nemesis Bolt. Damage = 23+7-4 = 26. Biophage has 4 END left.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage waits.

Biophage moves and engages Trickster.

Quick Thinking bonus:

Trickster fights Biophage. Roll = 3. (Hits!) Damage = 20+1-4 = 17. Biophage is destroyed.
The Biophage lies dead before you. There is a white rod set into the wall behind its carcass which you instinctively grab for. It comes away in your hand. Note it on your Character Sheet and that it has the number 16 engraved upon it. Further on from the corridor ahead you hear the crumbling roar of falling masonry. You hurry down it, curious as to what caused the sound.
Unless someone else volunteers first, I'll give the rod to the Warrior again.
The corridor opens out onto a deep chasm spanned by a thin stone bridge. A cold blast of air, fetid and damp, wafts up from the crevasse. The sound is the sound of crumbling stone, for even as you watch chunks of rock fall from the bridge into the chasm where they whistle away into silence. The bridge starts to collapse utterly. Will you head back to the chamber of doors or run onto what bridge there is and leap out in a desperate attempt to reach the other side? Choose now - your chance is fading!

If you leap, turn to 103. If you head back the way you came, turn to 291.
Do we jump?