[IC]Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Can do, Archimedes replies.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

As Archimedes wings his way past the three-armed giants, walls of dirt rise on either side, completely blocking them from view, and the copper-masked figure collapses as though a sudden sinkhole had opened beneath them; giant swords blindly strike through the walls of earth, but do little more than scrape the half-minotaur's hide - Malagos and the rat being completely unharmed. Behind them, the sound of screeching metal gets suddenly closer.

As they fly free of the figures, there is a sudden audibly crunching sound, and the usual telepathic "buzz" from Orr suddenly ceases. The rat looks backwards, where the road gives way from raised mud to ancient stone once more. "I think we just lost one."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You sure? Archimedes asks telepathically. Too useful to ditch unless we know he's dead, at which point the necromancer might be able to do something with his body anyways. Almost as oddly put together as I am, that one. Not sure how we'd fish him out though.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Fucking baator! Ethereal stone, ethereal solid cloud, ethereal lizardmen, and now ethereal metal," Orr thinks as he flinches. "Still, this stuff could be valuable. We need to come back here some time when we don't have an eldritch horror chasing us."

Orr will fly straight up to the surface while staying in the ethereal plane (move action) and peek, taking stock of the current situation before doing anything else.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The giants are fighting the bizarre iron beast. They seem to be at least holding their own. The copper-mask is nowhere to be seen.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will briefly resume blinking. To the copper-mask, "Sorry about that, but you were in the way. We couldn't even dent this thing, but your giants are doing okay at the moment. I've seen its mind and want to see it dead though, so if you need a hand to get above ground, I'll help."
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

I am uncertain that we could get our friend out of there with the resources we currently possess
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

True., Archimedes admits. Perhaps we should try coming back for him later? Worst case scenario, he's dead, but he'll be of use if he lives.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

radthemad4 wrote:Orr will briefly resume blinking. To the copper-mask, "Sorry about that, but you were in the way. We couldn't even dent this thing, but your giants are doing okay at the moment. I've seen its mind and want to see it dead though, so if you need a hand to get above ground, I'll help."
Orr's only answer is a sudden burst of flame from the ground. It doesn't seem to harm the giant iron beastie or the three-handed giants any.

The rat clutches Archimedes' ear. "Must go faster."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pretty sure I'm going as fast as I can, but I'll try, Archimedes responds. With that he bursts into full running while flying (if he wasn't already.)
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

To the copper mask, "That did nothing. Well, good luck with this then."

Orr will look for his dog and send a blast of air into the sky (gain earth token)

To Quinn while looking for him, in case he's in telepathy range at any point "Come on, let's get outta here."

If dog is found, Orr will reactivate Blink and ride his dog towards the others (40 ft speed, 160 ft run) while meditating on his tokens (in two rounds if possible: refreshing pool takes three consecutive full round actions two rounds, full round action+standard action+next turn's standard action+full round action)). If he gets time, he'll also drink some healing spring water from his waterskin.

If dog is found and it seems like the beast is headed towards him and the dog Orr will keep a gust of wind pointed behind him, and if it seems about to catch up, go 10 ft underground with dog.

If dog is not found, fly back towards the others, at some point, expending a fire token to boost speed and using a run + move action (206.25 ft) and spending the following turns channeling water for fire tokens (standard) and using augmented run actions (165 ft)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The dog is just visible, some distance ahead of Archimedes, and moving smartly down the road.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Fire and fury are at your backs, and recede into the distance as you fly over a road you once walked upon, back towards the entrance of the Zone. The swamp seems oddly quiet, almost expectant. Time itself seems to slow down, and there is only the steady beat of Archimedes' wings, the strange sibilant woosh-poosh of Orr swimming through the air, and even the rat stomps its chant, nose raised to the wind to catch the coming scents.

And behind you, the strange song of screaming metal, the clack of blades, the crackle of flame, growing ever fainter.

After a terse half an hour or more, even Archimedes can feel his heart thump in his chest, his iron wing-muscles tire. But the markers are in sight. Beyond them, at the healing pool, the fuzzy shape of the dog lapping at the water.

Seated beside the dog, at the edge of the pool, is a hooded figure in a long brown robe, which shimmers slightly with designs of coiling dragons picked out in gold thread. They do not look up as you approach the markers, the the rat thrashes his tail.

"Remember what I said about the third. Do not trust your eyes. There is a price that may be paid, besides your lives."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes carefully sniffs the air before doing anything else.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will drink some (or all) of the spring water in his water skin, and see if there's anything significant he can see in the ethereal plane. He'll activate blink and refresh his tokens.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Malagos wracks his brain, seeing if his knowledge can be useful here.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Archimedes carefully sniffs the air before doing anything else.
The smells of the swamp have been drowned out by smoke and soot from the fires, but as the wind shifts momentarily north and west - i.e. from the river towards Archimedes - he catches a vague reptilian odor.
Orr will drink some (or all) of the spring water in his water skin, and see if there's anything significant he can see in the ethereal plane. He'll activate blink and refresh his tokens.
Draining the last of the water, Orrs wounds close...mostly. [Heals 8hp] On the ethereal, the strange stony gazes of the taboo markers stare back at him. The figure in the robe does not appear on the ethereal at all.
Malagos wracks his brain, seeing if his knowledge can be useful here.
Malagos has seen similar robes, who belong to the Yellow Druids of the Darkwood.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Looks like one of the Yellow Druids of the Darkwood. Though considering our rat friend's warning, I would be careful about assigning an identity just yet.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Well it smells like the reptiles, Archimedes replies telepathically. Do the Scaly Ones have any connection to the Yellow Druids of the Darkwood? he asks the rat.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"Not when I knew them. The Yellow Druids, of course, are an ancient sect, famed for their skill at herbalism...and biological warfare."
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will close his eyes and try to telepathically contact his dog.

"Are you currently drinking spring water? Any creatures or plants near you? What do you know about them if so?"
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Orr's only response is a slight mental backwash of bliss; the psychic equivalent of a heartfelt tail-wag.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

To dog, "Uh okay, come over here for a bit."
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The dog wags its tail and rolls over on its belly. It's legs paw at the air a bit, and it gives off strange, muffled wuffs.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Anyone got a plan? Archimedes asks telepathically. I'm stumped.