Space Madness!

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

My go-to reference point for atompunk wands is Starman's Cosmic Rod:

But they're explicitly varied in shape and design. So you could have something explicitly more industrial looking:

Or a raygun, or whatever.
Usamimi
Apprentice

Post by Usamimi »

Ancient History wrote:Go for it. Everything I touch seems to turn to shit these days.
Preliminary reading did not reveal any severe flaws in the system itself. Worst case scenario: mediocrity.

Your poor opinion of your skills as a writer is illogical.
Shrapnel wrote: Also, are you, like, a computer or something? Or... oh my fucking gosh, are you a living internet ad?!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Do humans have the tech for the equivalent of heat-seeking (or Azathoth-field or whatever) missiles?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Humanity has had infrared homing since before WWII, so I would say yes the technology exists but it probably isn't developed on a large scale since I was intentionally avoiding the whole Cold War nuclear stalemate/mutually assured destruction postwar mentality.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I was mainly thinking of space-bourne "land" mines, as they'd need homing features to be a threat unless you use waaayyy more resources to get enough density.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

They would also probably attract asteroid eaters.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I thought asteroid eaters were mostly found in the Belt. You could put out some kind of mine with a large radius "magnet" (probably cavoritic engine) that attracts itself to passing ships; maybe tuned to ignore any mass around it at the time it's set, with a radio-signal off-switch akin to the Io Sentry's magnetic mine. The overall setup isn't that complex, but I don't know how much such an invention would play into your presumed baseline for the tech/culture of humanity in the setting.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The system is now available on DrivethruRPG.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/288662
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I know I'm biased, but I think that came out rather well.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Ordered a copy. Cover is a little pixelated, but other than that I think it came out fairly well.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Yeah, I couldn't find a better astronaut pic and I gave up on the title after five hours of work because I have crap software
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I have written an adventure for Space Madness

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/295618/A-Bent-Man
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Cool.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

virgil, I'm guessing you have the most experience playing/running this, could you give me your thoughts on the damage/stress economy? Is damage something that crops up as needing to be addressed frequently out in the field and stress more as a downtime issue?
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I mean, damage isn't something you generally address during downtime unless things are weird. As for stress, it's sort of like downtime, but I would more accurately describe it as a timer for getting things done; be it reconnaissance, travel time from A to B, handling a long-term investigation of an ancient temple, or withstanding torture until rescue arrives.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!