Space Madness!

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

DrPraetor wrote:So, wait, replacing limbs gives you ⊙→⊡⊡ but adding them only gives ⊙→⊡? Wouldn't it make more sense to just say you can't get more than ⊡⊡⊡⊡ bonus by adding limbs?
Hmm, I suppose that needs to be clarified.
Also, what about Mr Stud's implantscosmetic cyberware? Can people just "look robotic" in various ways? I suppose we're not really cyberpunk, so no?
Cosmetic appearance is cosmetic, so entirely up to the player. Guess I need to add a sidebar on that too.
One thing I can't quite deduce from the current draft - the Federation has wands (and power crystals?) and the Union has a whole range of stuff that utilize the cosmic forces, but it's not clear what these gadgets do and how (if at all) they differ from conventional 20th century gadgets. Do they have hoverbikes and shit? What do the Wakandans have that the Federation or Union don't? This doesn't need to be comprehensive, but if my character concept is former racer who joined the Space Rangers, I need to know if he was racing in a formula one sports car or a hover bike or what. Likewise people will want to play (former) reporters, rock stars, and etc., all of which revolves somewhat around Federation society and the futuristic technologies that are in common usage.
I am going to address the TL; the main difference is "no computers"; the Wand Functions section addressed a bunch of "wandtech" devices, some of which may need to be stat'd out.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Artificial Eye (⊡)
One of the most popular and ubiquitous augmentations among civilians, artificial eyes replace organic orbs with precision-manufactured optical replacements which provide perfect sight within the full range of human vision, and a much greater degree of cosmetic options than nature allows, from eyes that appear completely natural to those that appear to be made of solid black marble streaked with gold to three-lobed irises of cut gemstones floating in sclera that glow like green neon seas. Artificial eyes represent some of the most complex augmentations yet designed, given their small size and intimate connection to the human nervous system, and require extensive “infrastructure” work to be safely anchored in the flesh.
In addition to providing normal vision, an artificial eye comes with four sub-slots; each sub-slot may be filled with one of the following upgrades:

Alphanumeric Display
Camera
Infravision
Low Light Vision
Microcompartment
Microvision
Radiovision
Telescopic Vision
Television

Artificial eye upgrades do not have a conversion cost, but each has an associated CLP cost. For every artificial eye, the conversion cost and CLP cost of both the eye and any upgrades must be paid, but all artificial eyes occupy the same equipment slot. Upgrades may be changed, added, or removed between adventures.

Extra Eyes
Artificial eyes do not have to be implanted in the same position as traditional organic eyes. Characters may choose to install an eyeball anywhere on their body—such as the back of the head, or in the palm of the hand so that a character can peek around corners without exposing themselves.
Need to get all the upgrades stat'd out, but this is a start.
Last edited by Ancient History on Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

While the negabolt seems to be restricted at being a straight line from the wand (no crazy Visualization tests) - can't you choose the direction to be some angle away from your beam's path?This would allow one to break a beam back at its source from a perpendicular position.
Last edited by virgil on Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The whole idea of beambreaking is that the energy follows the path of least resistance - along the beam. If you could just redirect any beam back toward the source by intersecting it at any point with a negabolt, that would be a little broken.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Different Ways of Seeing
Artificial eye upgrades of infravision, low-light vision, microvision, radiovision, and telescopic vision do not provide bonus dice or modify Target numbers directly, rather each of these upgrades extends the character’s sensorium to some degree, and thus provides or augments a character’s ability to operate in different environments and conditions. Each of these upgrades also carry with them certain realistic drawbacks: bright ultraviolet light might temporarily blind a character with low-light vision, for example.
The basic idea with augmentation (and equipment in general) is to provide or improve on some existing capability, not just to provide bonuses (Kits are the exception, and even they do it in a kind of interesting alternate-resource way, I hope). Of course, this also means I don't have to do Shadowrun-style visual target number modifier chart.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

What is a typical Space Ranger ship like?

Are Rangers strapped in like jet pilots (with softer cushions)? Or are interiors are closer to Firefly's Serenity; cramped, but the crew each get their own rooms? Or is ship technology downright spacious (ha!)?
Not bad for a salvage ship
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The Elsa was a luxury yacht that a salvage captain happened to end up in command of. You might be asking yourself: Why would a salvage captain convert a luxury yacht to a salvage ship when it surely would've been cheaper to sell it and use the proceeds to buy a salvage ship? The game does not answer this question, but in fairness, if fate handed me a yacht and my job involved sailing around to places, I'd be pretty reluctant to give up my workplace's newly stylish accommodations even if it meant passing up a sizable bonus.

None of this is really relevant to anything. I just like Xenosaga.
Last edited by Chamomile on Thu May 17, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

General aesthetic is closer to Firefly or Klingon ships on Star Trek, I'll pencil in notes to address shipboard life & accommodations.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, like, if the captain of a vessel shows cowardice or dishonor, does that mean the player gets to kill them and take their place?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

This is Space Madness, not Wolf of Wall Street.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

A number of the backgrounds and orders give stuff like med kits or even augmentations. Do these take up your limited equipment slots?

ADDENDUM: For stuff like the Warp Shield, where it says it raises the Target by the effect's Cost, is that the X or the X+(1-5 for field strength)?

For Odic Resonance (rank 3), it indicates you heal either 1 health damage or 1 stress (⊘ or ⊖, respectively) per 24 hours, but the sanity/health section seems to indicate you heal both.
Last edited by virgil on Sun May 27, 2018 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

A number of the backgrounds and orders give stuff like med kits or even augmentations. Do these take up your limited equipment slots?
Yes.
ADDENDUM: For stuff like the Warp Shield, where it says it raises the Target by the effect's Cost, is that the X or the X+(1-5 for field strength)?
Should be X. Will fix.
For Odic Resonance (rank 3), it indicates you heal either 1 health damage or 1 stress (⊘ or ⊖, respectively) per 24 hours, but the sanity/health section seems to indicate you heal both.
Will fix.

It's been a bad week for writing.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Just got around to reading this, and I am in love.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Correct me if this conjecture is wrong: While the Azathoth reactor in a ship is more powerful than a wand's, its use is more energy intensive and presumably it still takes time to build a charge. It's been described that a standard warp field is Strength 50, and a wand recharges at 1 sagan per five minutes when hooked up to a Space Ranger ship.

Worst case scenario, a Space Ranger Azathoth engine needs ~4 hours to recharge after the warp field is turned on; so if it's turned off before the 4 hours has begun, it will take a while before you can restart and move at warp speed.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I need to revisit that, as I hadn't worked out the mechanics of a space ship "stalling," but the 1 sagan/5 minutes is the rate by which individual wands recharge when hooked up to the spaceship's power - like plugging your laptop in on a car ride.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

A possibly unintended consequence of lowering the standard wand's rating to 4 is in the sagan function cap? Most Azathoth Field functions are severely limited due to field size costs. Gravity Control does nothing unless you install a modification to reduce the functions for Cavoritic Rays. Blind Spot forces a max of -1 die penalty to targeting. Etc.

I can imagine this is working as intended, but I wanted to check.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

There are going to be modifications for reducing cost and increasing the function/spending cap for wands. I just haven't gotten there in the equipment yet. But yes, that is something I'm going to have to look at from a balance standpoint, and I may need to jiggle costs downward accordingly.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Sorry for the lack of progress this week, really gearing up for Howard Days next week.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

After a bit of Googling, I now know what Howard Days is. Also, it's apparently only 2 hours away.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Well, show up and I'll give you a book.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Maybe. Which of the two days do you think is better to attend?
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The one where I maybe win an award? Or the one with food. Entirely up to you.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I hope the event was fun. Car troubles svck.

Did you win the award?
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I did win an award. Although the chiggers ate me alive. Progress on Space Madness will recommence shortly.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Artificial Eye (⊡)
One of the most popular and ubiquitous augmentations among civilians, artificial eyes replace organic orbs with precision-manufactured optical replacements which provide perfect sight within the full range of human vision, and a much greater degree of cosmetic options than nature allows, from eyes that appear completely natural to those that appear to be made of solid black marble streaked with gold to three-lobed irises of cut gemstones floating in sclera that glow like green neon seas. Artificial eyes represent some of the most complex augmentations yet designed, given their small size and intimate connection to the human nervous system, and require extensive “infrastructure” work to be safely anchored in the flesh.

In addition to providing normal vision, an artificial eye comes with four sub-slots; each sub-slot may be filled with one of the following upgrades:

Alphanumeric Display: An alphanumeric display is set up to project onto the character’s field of vision, visible to them but no-one else. By default these are usually connected to a timer circuit to function as a clock, or to display incoming text messages or phone calls, although they can be slaved to any alphanumeric readout from a device capable of sending a radio signal. Special: A character may have multiple alphanumeric displays in a single eye; each display occupies a separate sub-slot.

Camera: These tiny video cameras are the pinnacle of Federation micro-manufacturing, able to take advantage of all of the character’s vision modifications (infravision, low light vision, microvision, radiovision, and/or telescopic vision), and record up to six hours of high-quality video footage onto internal data crystals. If the character aso has the Television upgrade, they can replay the footage from the camera’s memory at will.

Infravision: This upgrade extends the visible range of the electromagnetic spectrum to infrared, wavelengths of light are most usually emitted by heated objects, and is thus able to perceive the relative temperature of objects emitting heat, and the reflected infrared light from heat sources on nearby objects. Infravision is popularly known as “heatvision” or “thermographic vision,” and is usually described as the addition of different colors, shades, and depth when compared to normal human vision.

Low Light Vision: This upgrade slightly extends the range of the electromagnetic spectrum that humans can normally perceive, into the near-infrared and ultraviolet wavelengths, and physical construction which causes the eye to absorb and process more ambient light as it gets darker. The result, often called “night vision,” is that users can perceive normally in low-light conditions, such as nighttime on Earth, Mars, Saturn, or Venus. Characters are still dependent on light sources however, and cannot see in total darkness.

Microcompartment: This upgrade provides one cubic centimeter of storage space; enough for a small data-crystal or a pill or two. The storage space is typically accessed by a concealed latch that causes the iris to swing out on a hidden hinge; the character cannot see out of this eye while it is being accessed.

Microvision: Like having a microscope in your eye, this upgrade includes a series of fine magnifying lenses and polarizing filters which can expand the character’s vision from x10 to x1000. Aside from benefits to many fields, microvision is necessary for certain very fine wand applications (see Wand Functions: Orgone (Level 4: Finer Manipulations).)

Radiovision: The space humans exist in abounds with invisible waves, most harmless; at high frequencies, this electromagnetic radiation can even pass through what we normally consider “solid” objects. With this upgrade, this invisible radiation is perceived by receptors within the eye and passed along to the optic nerve, resulting an an ability to “see” through many objects, to a depth of up to five or six centimeters—enough to penetrate many thin walls, through clothing, or even beneath the skin. Radiovision cannot see through metal (even microscopically thin sheet of metal foil), and the receptors may be overwhelmed by strong radio-sources, such as broadcasting units, exactly as if staring into a lamp.

Telescopic Vision: Using a variable set of magnifying lenses, the maximum range of sight can be extended, bringing far objects into sharp focus. There are practical limitations because of the physical anatomy of the human eye limiting the diameter of the aperture—maximum magnification is about x10, or ten times closer than it would appear to the naked eye. Characters with Telescopic Vision may treat ranges of Long or higher as one range lower for all purposes.

Television: A marvel of miniaturization, a tiny television screen may be implanted in the eye, although it will block normal vision while in use. An antenna beneath the skin can usually tune in to local channels. If combined with a Headphone implant, the character can receive videocalls and hear sound from the transmission; if combined with a Socket implant, the character cen read and view video data directly from a data crystal.

Unless otherwise specified, each upgrade occupies one sub-slot, and characters may only have one of each upgrade per eye (i.e. no putting two cameras in one eye, although you could have one camera in one eye and one camera in another eye). Artificial eye upgrades do not have a conversion cost, but each has an associated CLP cost. All artificial eyes occupy the same equipment slot, no matter how many the character has. Upgrades may be changed, added, or removed between adventures.

Extra Eyes
Artificial eyes do not have to be implanted in the same position as traditional organic eyes. Characters may choose to install an eyeball anywhere on their body—such as the back of the head, or in the palm of the hand so that a character can peek around corners without exposing themselves.

Different Ways of Seeing
Artificial eye upgrades of infravision, low-light vision, microvision, radiovision, and telescopic vision do not provide bonus dice or modify Target numbers directly, rather each of these upgrades extends the character’s sensorium to some degree, and thus provides or augments a character’s ability to operate in different environments and conditions. Each of these upgrades also carry with them certain realistic drawbacks: bright ultraviolet light might temporarily blind a character with low-light vision, for example.
Okay, quite long, but I'm relatively happy with that for the basics on artificial eyes and their upgrades without getting into charts full of vision magnifiers. Thoughts?
Last edited by Ancient History on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.