[3.X/PF] Good non den homebrew

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Re: [3.X/PF] Good non den homebrew

Post by radthemad4 »

I like this guy's stuff, though he's definitely either a secret denner or a very heavy lurker.

Warlock ACFs

Warmage Fix
Shaman
Seer and Warden

Magus of the Scales
Dragon Aspirant and Tartarian Keeper
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I forgot my log-in to that forum. Why was NigelWalmsley banned?
-This space intentionally left blank
Lord Charlemagne
1st Level

Post by Lord Charlemagne »

deaddmwalking wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:19 pm
I did a quick sign in & checked. No obviously locked topic that clearly points to why they were banned. So either the reason was purged or because it was a smaller thing that doesn't reveal itself with 2 minutes of searching (Some private message issue, posted an illegal PDF link or picture, the mods felt like it, etc).

EDIT: Also, on the actual topic itself, there is some interesting stuff on dnd-wiki that may have den ties but isn't made on the den or in direct connection to the Den. GITP has accumulated some interesting material over the years, but I don't feel like digging for all the stuff that once caught my eye currently.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I did some looking. There were a number of posts that were edited by the mods in A Critical Flaw in the Tippyverse thread. It looks like some people were saying some very very dumb things and he called them on it in unacceptable terms.

Someone on that thread was literally arguing that you could create a Heal trap if you were undead (and would be hurt by it), but you couldn't create a Heal trap if you were a living creature (and weren't hurt by it). If I'm understanding their position correctly, you could never create a mouse trap because it poses no danger to you. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they banned the wrong guy.
-This space intentionally left blank
NigelWalmsley
NPC

Post by NigelWalmsley »

Yeah, I was banned for saying that "the things you can make as traps depend on what the PCs in the party are" was nonsense (the whole school of argument in that thread is the most obnoxiously dumb thing in the world). I also accumulated warnings for such things as "mentioning Thor as a mythological figure" and "mentioning that the Bush Administration occurred". Some of the people on GitP are reasonable, but the moderation is fucking insane.

And, yes, I have lurked here for a long time. Most of the stuff I wrote is in basically the same style as the Tomes, and honestly the Magus probably should have made reference to the "The Crawling Darkness"/"Playing With Fire" distinction from Tome of Necromancy explicitly.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Other things you can get infracted for on Giant:
-Using the phrase 'like in a political cartoon' in reference to the exaggerated art style used to draw the non-human characters in a particular RPG product.
-Drawing an analogy to historical polytheistic practices in order to explain how NPCs in a fictional polytheistic religion would respond to a given topic.
-Saying that a conclusion is 'absurd'.
-Giving any factual response whatsoever to the question "What was the inspiration for the Create Food/Water spell?"
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

NigelWalmsley wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:30 pm
And, yes, I have lurked here for a long time.
Welcome to the world of posting *waves*
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Welp, ever since I had a werewolf dream a week ago, I've spent hours each day hunting the interbutts for a good d20 Werewolf class that:

1. Doesn't have dead levels.
2. Doesn't suck.
3. Is as good as a Shapeshifter Druid.
4. Wasn't written by SKR or Monte Cook.

I am disappoint.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Is that a request? I'm down.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The Aspect Hunter's Lycan Aspect is also a wererat, wereshark, werebear, etc., so probably not what you want for a pure werewolf. Might provide some ideas, though.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Chamomile wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:46 pm
The Aspect Hunter's Lycan Aspect is also a wererat, wereshark, werebear, etc., so probably not what you want for a pure werewolf. Might provide some ideas, though.
Perfect!

I was thinking of something that only turns into one kind of animal or hybrid, but maybe a PC could just pick one form and stick with that.

Since discovering Spheres of Power material, I found a feat called Transformation which does everything the Werewolf template does in a single feat.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

JonSetanta wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:09 am
Welp, ever since I had a werewolf dream a week ago, I've spent hours each day hunting the interbutts for a good d20 Werewolf class that:

1. Doesn't have dead levels.
2. Doesn't suck.
3. Is as good as a Shapeshifter Druid.
4. Wasn't written by SKR or Monte Cook.

I am disappoint.
Is there really a d20 Werewolf class that meets 1-3 but wasn't written by SKR or Monte Cook?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Yes, it can be done using Spheres of Power or Chamomile's creation.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

terrific brainfart - was there one that was written by SKR or Monte Cook
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I assume that Monte Cook's World of Darkness had a Werewolf class that was cold boiled ass. I'm guessing that the SKR class is from his Curse of the Moon shitbook.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

zeruslord wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:49 pm
terrific brainfart - was there one that was written by SKR or Monte Cook
SKR did an article for a level progression Werewolf based on combining the Wolf beast statblock and like 3 racial class levels, with about 3 dead levels included.

Monte's assumes a L1 Werewolf has the same power as a level 4 character, which is just .. moronic.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Lord Charlemagne wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:24 pm
deaddmwalking wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:19 pm
I did a quick sign in & checked. No obviously locked topic that clearly points to why they were banned. So either the reason was purged or because it was a smaller thing that doesn't reveal itself with 2 minutes of searching (Some private message issue, posted an illegal PDF link or picture, the mods felt like it, etc).

EDIT: Also, on the actual topic itself, there is some interesting stuff on dnd-wiki that may have den ties but isn't made on the den or in direct connection to the Den. GITP has accumulated some interesting material over the years, but I don't feel like digging for all the stuff that once caught my eye currently.
Yeah, dnd-wiki has a lot of good stuff in it. However the owner went ad crazy and made the layout extremely tiny. I wrote a Tampermonkey Script and a CSS thing (works with e.g. the Stylus addon) to fix it and make the site look decent though.

NigelWalmsley wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:30 pm
Yeah, I was banned for saying that "the things you can make as traps depend on what the PCs in the party are" was nonsense (the whole school of argument in that thread is the most obnoxiously dumb thing in the world). I also accumulated warnings for such things as "mentioning Thor as a mythological figure" and "mentioning that the Bush Administration occurred". Some of the people on GitP are reasonable, but the moderation is fucking insane.

And, yes, I have lurked here for a long time. Most of the stuff I wrote is in basically the same style as the Tomes, and honestly the Magus probably should have made reference to the "The Crawling Darkness"/"Playing With Fire" distinction from Tome of Necromancy explicitly.
Are you actively posting your stuff anywhere else btw? I'd like to see any more stuff you write and/or any updates to your current stuff
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I have some questions regarding the Shaman
NigelWalmsley wrote:Attuning himself to the spirits takes a 15 minute ritual, and allows him to choose new channeled spirits from the ones available to him. Completing this ritual also resets his uses of any his abilities that have a listed number of uses per day.
Can this be done as many times a day as you want?
NigelWalmsley wrote:Rapid Channeling (Su): At 4th level, the shaman gains the ability to rapidly alter his connections to the spirits. Once per day, he may replace one of his channeled spirits with another channeled spirit. He may instead referesh the uses of any boon granted by a spirit (effectively replacing that spirit with the same spirit). He gains an additional use of this ability at 10th level then again at 16th level.
What sort of action is this?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

According to the SRD, using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
NigelWalmsley
NPC

Post by NigelWalmsley »

radthemad4 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:05 am
NigelWalmsley wrote:Attuning himself to the spirits takes a 15 minute ritual, and allows him to choose new channeled spirits from the ones available to him. Completing this ritual also resets his uses of any his abilities that have a listed number of uses per day.
Can this be done as many times a day as you want?
The intention (based on the previous "must be well rested to do so" line) is that you need the same eight hours of rest than a Wizard would to prepare spells. It doesn't matter much for the spirit abilities, but if you let people repeatedly reset the boons that throws the daily limits out the window, which is probably problematic somewhere.
NigelWalmsley wrote:Rapid Channeling (Su): At 4th level, the shaman gains the ability to rapidly alter his connections to the spirits. Once per day, he may replace one of his channeled spirits with another channeled spirit. He may instead referesh the uses of any boon granted by a spirit (effectively replacing that spirit with the same spirit). He gains an additional use of this ability at 10th level then again at 16th level.
What sort of action is this?
I honestly hadn't thought about it. As Rabbitt notes, it'd be standard by default, and that works fine.